Suspicious People Going Door-to-Door in Concord Neighborhoods

April 4, 2012 20:49 pm · 116 comments

We’ve had several reports of suspicious individuals going door-to-door in two different Concord neighborhoods tonight, which are both very close to eachother.

Here’s the first email we received….

I am writing in to tell you that tonight around 7:30, a younger man, maybe 17-early twenties knocked on our door very obnoxiously. My sister answered and he asked if our parents were home, and our dad was right there and took over.

The guy claimed that he was here for a “school project” and then immediately changed the story and said that he was a “new neighbor. My dad asked him what street he lived on and he said he couldn’t give out that information. That was a dead ringer that something was wrong right there.

What “new neighbor” from “a few courts over” would come knocking on doors to not say where he lived? My dad called the police and they pretty much dismissed it and said that if they were asked what street they lived on that they wouldn’t say either. We were FLOORED to hear this. If you’re going to come over and introduce yourself then you should be willing to say where you live, otherwise there’s no point.

After reading about a similar story on Claycord, we are extremely worried especially with all of the local break-ins. We live in the Limeridge area near Treat and Cowell towards Ygnacio. If you could please post a warning about this, I would appreciate it since the police don’t seem to be worried about this. The guy was white, with blond hair, according to my dad.

And here’s the second email….

Just wanted to let you know that a suspicious group of people are knocking on every door in Canterbury Village. It’s after 8:00pm and they are aggressively knocking on doors like they are trying to break them down.

When I answered my door the guy seemed startled and said , “oh sorry wrong house” and quickly walked off.

I called the PD and they said I was the third caller reporting the same thing from our neighborhood and that a couple of PD were out cruising around looking for these guys.

Just thought you should know.

And here’s the third email….

Just wanted to let everyone know about some scammers going around pretending to sell magizines. We called the cops. The people, a short white girl and a short black guy got into a car with Arizona licence plates.

Hope they catch them because it seems to be a problem in this area.

Thanks to everybody for the emails regarding these people.

101 Just a Concordian April 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM

@LizG123

who would have thought… we’re neighbors… and I have a few things to sell. Not to mention I love cookies.

102 eknirb April 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

earlier today, some kid working for comcast rang the bell multiple times, and then pounded the door hard, -we’ve got comcast, you’d think they’d know. just now some guy with a badge that had a big “K” on it (komkast?) rang the bell- where are these people coming from?

103 eknirb April 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM

PS—

the next time someone rings on the door, pull out the camera phone and say, ‘OK, just let me take your photo for my records.’

Bet the reaction is less than enthusiastic.

104 RRRR April 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I am sick of the J.W. preaching their religion. Really going dooor to door to convert to your religion, you don’t celebrate shit!

105 Katya April 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM

If I’m not expecting anyone, I don’t answer the door. I have a No Soliciting sign, but the people who ignore it the most are religious groups. Why do they think it doesn’t apply to them?

106 Cowellian April 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Katya@105,

Because legally, it doesn’t apply to them. Nevertheless, there is nothing that prohibits you from sharing your religious beliefs with people who come to your door.

107 Anonymous April 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM

It’s not just those from “out of the area”, either. A couple of weeks ago, I was at work and my husband left the house to run a quick errand. While he was gone, a vehicle our neighbors KNOW does not belong in our driveway passed the house a couple of times, then quickly pulled in our driveway. Two men started to jump out and head for our backyard, but an alert neighbor quickly got the license plate number and called the police, who DID respond. The guys quickly jumped back in their vehicle when they saw the neighbor on the phone. Turns out that vehicle belongs to one of the major organizers of Neighborhood Watch — for CLAYTON!! You just never know who the good guys are!

108 Lee White April 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Here’s the Concord Municipal Code that applies to door-to-door peddlers:

109 Ynot April 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM

This is an OBVIOUS problem in our city people! Read all the descriptions given. I believe this pool of criminals have decided to set up camp around here to steal from our fellow citizens, and it pisses me the hell off. We know what’s happening, why can’t we get these f@ckers?! I think the effort of the police may be equal to the effort given by us civilians. We can’t watch this happen and just wait for the cops to handle it all. Right? I just really hate what’s going on here in OUR city. I think if you see these lil’ s#it’s, call Concord P.D. immediatley and be prepared to give them accurate and descriptive information. And tell your neighbors too! I don’t know about you guys, but my neighborhood is tight. We watch out for each other here. I’m not saying bust on everyone you see, but defintiely these Arizonia Plate Using, Magazine Selln’, Cookie Snatching (97) Little Twirps!

110 black man April 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM

anyone see two black girls on Tuesday soliciting, they looked suspicious. I should of went outside and told them I was the watch captain in this hood

111 anon April 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM

The Concord PD is pathetic about enforcing the laws about door to door solictiation. If you have a no solicitation sign at your front door, it is illegal for solicitor to knock on your door. If this happens call the police immediatley and insist that the law has been broken and you want the city to cite or arrest. The dispatchers are rude. Ask to speak to the watch commander. Here is the code section:

“Sec. 18-451. Entry upon signed premises unlawful.

It shall be unlawful for any person, whether licensed or unlicensed, while conducting the business of a peddler or solicitor, to enter upon any residential premises in the City where the owner, occupant or person legally in charge of the premises has posted, at the entry to the premises, or at the entry to the principal building on the premises, a sign bearing the words “No Peddlers,” “No Solicitors,” “No Solicitation” or words of similar import.

112 Paul (formerly) in South Concord April 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

For Pleasant Hill, http://www.codepublishing.com/CA/PleasantHill/
On the left nav bar, click “Title 6 – Business Regulations”. Then click on “6.15 Peddlers”.

In addition to the permitting requirements and all that, 2 things that stuck out were the age requirement (16 yrs) and the fact that they can’t come after dark.

I don’t get many solicitors, but the most recent was well after dark (about 8:30pm w/ sunset around 6:15pm, that night) and the girl at the door was maybe 13/14. Granted, there was a young man (maybe 20-ish) with her, but it was after dark and when I refused the CoCo Times subscription offer from the girl, HE tried to bait me into an argument and accused me of saying something I hadn’t. I took one step out onto my porch, squared off with him and quietly growled “Get of my property”. He ran. Maybe because he suddenly realized that I had 100lbs and 6 inches on him. HA!

113 LostBoysMom April 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I live in Canterbury Village and had the little blonde girl at my door the other night. Same basic motus operandi. Knocked real loud, said she lived around the corner, a neighbor had sent her, selling magazines to go to sing at BYU (these kids are creative!). I toll her I could not afford it and she responded that many people are just giving what they could. She had some papers in her hand and a bunch of cash. I said I did not have much cash and she asked me to check how much I had! Everything she said was suspicious. I told her no thanks and she left. Even if she wasn’t casing houses, she obviously was getting some cash out of it. Next time I call the cops knowing she hit so many homes. I agree with a previous poster that if the CPD get enough calls, they will have to do something about it.

114 Puglover April 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM

@#66 Thanks for the great tip on the driveway monitor!

One afternoon last week I heard a “soft knock” at the front door- so soft that the dogs didn’t even react. I found a young man there, very soft spoken and polite, saying that he had been a “bad boy” in his past and was trying to earn his way back into society by selling magazines to earn money for his education. He was quite persuasive and I almost gave in, but told him what I always tell solicitors: I don’t do business with door to door sales, no exceptions. He politely took his leave.
We have also had several visits from men who have leftover meat to sell at a deep discount. That one worries me…No Sale.

115 newmommy April 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM

I just recently moved here a few months ago and had my son. My fiance just got a job in concord so I am home alone for the day, and now I am very fearful that someone will come to my home or try to break in..

116 hmmmm April 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM

every comment states that whoever these people are, they all have Arizona licenses plates. Hmmm ? Sounds suspicious.