UPDATE: MUSD – Parent Assaults Teacher at John Muir Elementary in Martinez

March 26, 2012 · 78 comments

We’ve received more information on why a parent of a child at John Muir Elementary School in Martinez allegedly walked into a classroom and physically assaulted a teacher on Friday in front of a classroom full of students.

Claycord.com first reported on this story earlier this afternoon, and now we’re hearing the teacher, according to several parents of students in the classroom, apparently wouldn’t let a child use his/her cell phone, and when the mother of the child found out, she came to school and allegedly verbally & physically assaulted the teacher.

The Martinez Police say they are not commenting on this case because it involves a minor, but the Martinez Unified School District is saying they are pursuing this case to the fullest extent of the law, and the district will be requesting that the Martinez Police Department and the District Attorney’s office consider this as a high priority case.

1 TinFoiler March 26, 2012 at 8:37 PM

How dare that teacher take a stand, How dare that Teacher try and have order in a classroom. 5th grader does NOT have the discipline to not play with a cell phone in class.
Parents are teaching their kids to continue to carry the torch of being an azzhull like themselves. Just look at sports.
SAD

2 Ven Exeter March 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM

If this whack job gets some jail time, this will turn out to be a very constructive lesson for the tikes.

3 haaa haaa March 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM

good stuff, what if it was an emergency? lol

4 Dutch March 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM

The parent needs to be punished to the full extent of the law. Her actions are inexcusable. It’s parents like this that promote bad behavior in their kids. Too bad she can’t be horse whipped. She needs it.

5 Loss Prevention March 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Perfect reason why some people should not have children. This child has a great role model and will grow up to be an outstanding citizen….. NOT!!

6 Tony's Mom March 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Assuming that it was not an emergency, which it probably was not, unfortunately this is an example of a child with little respect for the classroom or the authority within…hmmm…I wonder where the child learned it. Sad.

7 kim March 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Why does a 5TH GRADER have cell phone in first place. I got one when I was 15!!! When i officiall knew and understood what a cell phone was. Lol. If its an emergency you tell teacher and you go to office and they call the parents or 911 if its THAT big of an emergency.

8 Pleasant Jenny March 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Pathetic.

9 Chocolate Starfish Suffer March 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I’m going to have my mommy beat up my boss because he won’t let me use my cell phone, not even to call her and ask what’s for dinnner.

10 anonamom March 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM

What if: The kid forgot their asthma meds, their insulin, their epilepsy meds. What if they had diarrhea, or whatever—maybe they were embarrassed to say why they needed to make a call—maybe they tried to say it was important but private, and just needed to call home, but were shot down without consideration. If that were the case, and that were my kid, I’d be kicking butt and taking names too.

11 Hmmm March 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM

So sad, it’s no wonder kids have no respect for authority. When I was a kid (back in the dark ages) if I got into trouble ( I did my share) and the teacher gave me some discipline and my parents found out (they almost always did) I got it again at home.

Kids need to learn sooner rather than later that rules are rules and no one is exempt from them. Parents need to learn to admit when their kid screws up, or they will be bailing those kids out of jail for years until the kid does something that the parents cannot get them out of. Then who will the parents blame ? The authorities that’s who.

12 Fred March 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Don’t kid yourself, anonamom!

13 Mustache_Man March 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM

anyone who has ever been in school knows not to use a phone during class, but the bigger question should be this, how was the parent able to walk on campus and enter a classroom? if she was crazy enough to assault a teacher, who knows what else she may have been capable of. is it that easy to just walk into a classroom during school?

14 KT March 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM

My daughter goes to JME and i would be pissed off if a parent came into her classroom and started to fight with the teacher. EVEN IF it was an emergency you don’t do that in front of children. That mother was in the wrong. You want to lay into the teacher you tell him to talk to you outside or you get the principal involved you don’t go ape sh!t crazy in front of the children. I know many kids in that class that were very scared. I’m glad they have the police involved.

15 Anonymous March 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM

nauseating. i hope they punish her to the fullest extent of the law to serve as a lesson to the kids, as #2 mentioned.

16 Hands Off Dad March 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM

So this is what they mean when they say “helicopter parents?” The kid is better off in an 17th century orphanage or a foster home run by Fred Phelps.

17 Mt.DiabloMom March 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM

My son was attacked on the playground, showed his bleeding arm to his teacher, who promptly did NOTHING about it. When I got to school and showed the teacher the arm in front of an adult witness, he offered to wash his arm, not discuss it with the offenders. If my son had a cell phone, maybe I could have been there sooner and got some attention from the school.

18 Anonymous March 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM

@anonamom that is ridiculous and you have a sick sense of entitlement that is nauseating. cell phones have no place in the classroom, get over it. when we were kids how EVER did kids with asthma survive? *sarcasm* no. maybe i will interrupt an elementary class and beat a teacher up. THAT WILL SHOW THEM!!

19 AnotherAnon March 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM

anonamom @10
I used to work with a person who, when I would say “what if”, would respond “if the dog hadn’t stopped to crap, he’d have caught the rabbit”. So IF this child had the problems you mentioned, he or she should have told the teacher. Isn’t that what YOU would have done when you were that age and in school?

20 Anonymous March 26, 2012 at 9:20 PM

@mydiablomom call the waaaahhhmbulance. so sick of this victim mentality. have some respect.

21 aka March 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM

We didn’t need cell phones 25-30 years ago and they do not need them now. We managed just fine without them. If you have an emergency for whatever reason, forgot your meds, $hi& your pants, on your period go to the office. Kids are so EFIN spoiled these days. Prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law.

22 Randome Task March 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM

wow of course there has to be a nay sayer how dare them not allow that kid to address his or her problems on the phone in the class room …stirring the pot i see ( #10) not even partly funny ….no 5th grder needs a phone in school unless he or she is selling drugs for their parents ….as you have so deemed your kids must be able to talk to whom ever to clarify their problem at their leasure …they must need dope to cope with their nightmares as well i guess …get em a card now save your self the worry ….pathetic even if you are stirring the pot …absolutly unnessesary

23 Randome Task March 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM

hmmm thats what lawyers are for when the people in charge of your kids fail to attend to them …you getting a phone call by your kid to come to the school and look at their arm is in no way going to help the cituation and or a 5th grader determining what an emrgency is to call their parents to come to school …unless they want their parents to meet the district lawyers and serve some time away from their kids who need such dire help they need a phone in school …..stop wateing the schools time and teaching out right disrespect for staff and adults there to help them …and apparently teach their kids right from wrong since the parents just want to pay the phone bill and thats about it

24 CG March 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM

This is what is wrong, why some children have no respect for teachers or elders or respect in general. , if the child had something important the child should of ask to go to the office. That is what we did back in the day when respect was important. I am more than sure the child did not forget meds as the office would know if the child had meds to take as this is required. The teacher has every right to restrict cell phone use in the class as this can be disruptive and the reason a child goes to school is to learn. If the parent had a problem with this then the parent should of showed self control & speak to the principal or the teacher in an adult manner when class was over. How embarrassing for that child, how sad for society.

25 Chevy March 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Maybe the child should have gone to the office like the rest of the students when they have a problem. Sounds like the problem stems from home– anonamom.

26 Mt.DiabloMom March 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM

This parent had no right to attack a teacher. That’s assault. It’s also assault if some kid attacks my kid and leaves him bleeding. So wait…..the school will come after a parent with the police but they can’t bother discussing assault with a kid and/or their parents? How is that right>

27 Janet B March 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM

@anonamom Kids aren’t allowed to bring their own medicine to school. Back in the dark ages we told our teacher or went to the office if we needed to call our parents.

28 Me March 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Let’s see……….. a 5th. grader with a cell phone, I guess he proved that hes just too young to have a phone by trying to use it in class, what ever happened to the days when if you had a problem you asked to go to the office so that you could call a parent?. Instead the parent came down to the school to prove a point by showing what a jackass they could be and embarrassing there child in the process, did it even occur to them to wait the 25 minutes until school was out to speak to the teacher or principal ?, I feel this parent needs to be arrested for assault because whats next, the child goes to the cafeteria, gets a burnt bun on there burger and mom shows up with a baseball bat?……….

29 talkin for a living March 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM

yikes! We need to support our teachers, especially those who have the guts to enforce the rules. It sure doesn’t make teachers popular. Glad she said no to the cell, and I agree that the parent should be prosecuted. Parents need to learn how to stop hovering and taking things into their own hands, and start conductng themselves witha bit more character.

30 @mtdiablomom March 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM

OMG. Get a grip. Besides your kid is probably not telling you the whole truth.

31 Dr. Fill March 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Probably on and anti depressants or drugs.
I am more concerned for that child. May be abused at home.

32 Just a thought.... March 26, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Has it been mentioned “how” the parent knew the child’s phone was taken???

33 IZ March 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM

It’s just so sad to know that only a few EDUCATED person understand simple rules.

34 @MtDiabloMom March 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM

It’s highly unlikely any great harm came to your kid from not having you there to wash his arm off for him. Kids these days need to be a little more tough and deal with stuff themselves – just like we did when I was a kid. Of course the teacher should not allow any further beating up, but your kid is probalby not permanently damaged by waiting a few hours to get cleaned up. If it were serious, I am sure the teacher would have let the kid go to the office. A cell phone is entirely unnecessary.

35 Nvsblmn March 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Well I don’t know about this one. There are a lot of details we don’t have for either side of this argument. There are reasons why kids have cell phones nowadays. For emergencies to have contact for the just in case situations. How do we know the teacher didn’t mouth out something back to provoke the assualt? We shouldn’t rule either side completely innocent with so few details and so many what ifs.

36 junkiedog March 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM

the kid and parent need to be permanently expelled from public education facilities. physical assault is a serious issue. and the parent seems unstable.

37 Concord1963 March 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

@Mt Diablo Mom: Couldn’t your son wash his own arm???? Even a 3-year-old can do that! Yet he’s old enough to have a cell phone and carry it to school????

@anonomom: Kids need to learn how to deal with issues without their parents always taking charge. Otherwise they will grow up not knowing how to make the best choices in life, or knowing how to learn from their mistakes – instead of always blaming others, and growing up feeling the world owes them. The world only owes what is earned, nothing more, nothing less.

38 parents .... March 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM

There are a lot of good parents who support the schools in educating their child, but this is clearly not the case. I feel for “all teachers” as they often do not have very supportive administrators when it involves dealing with rude children and wacky parents. Site administrators are afraid of their district bosses, who in turn, are afraid of the parents. Schools should be able to tell these crazy people that they are no longer welcome. Parents/students should have to apply to get into schools (if they are headaches). If you have lots of baggage (problems) you will have limited choices for your education. < My dream.

39 Blah Blah blah March 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

The school system and most parents today are screwed up end of story. My kid was bullied and the school did nothing about it so I told my kid to knock the offending kids out which he did. And then we were at fault and my kid got punished when we told a family friend which teacher it was after our kids left, we were told that the only reason the teacher was still there was tenor other wise she would have been gone long ago. Most parents let their kids run wild and never punish them and then let them play video games all day so that they do have to deal with them. Sorry but you made them so raise them.

40 Connie Dobbs March 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Nothing like this happened at Las Juntas.

It will unfortunately be necessary to expel the child to keep the faculty safe from his or her mother. This will be after the mother is convicted of assault. Of course the new school district is going to want to know what happened. Smooth, Mom.

41 Blah Blah blah March 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM

*so that they don’t have to deal with them.

42 Radar March 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Any parent who assluts a teacher needs to be brought up on assault charges and put in jail for a few months.

43 GG March 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

It’s a world of smart phones and stupid people.
The very reason I have an antiquated cellphone, no texting, no internet. It’s a phone, not a computer, camera or typewriter. My kids didn’t have a cell until High School and didn’t having texting until their Senior year. Never had a problem with them using the phone when they shouldn’t have, or their biggest worry wouldn’t have been the school confiscating the phone, it would have been pretending the phone I ran over on purpose still worked.

44 regardless March 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

if it were an emergency what does assaulting a teacher prove or how does it benefit anyone in the long run? It is still the wrong way to handle a matter. people today are so out of control with their emotions.
what are the odds that this really was an emergency?
sounds like there’s too much drama in this family

45 CJ March 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

@#35:

Cell phone use is prohibited during class time, period. If a child has an emergency, they should let the teacher know and ask to be excused to the office to call the emergency contact. The way you people act it’s a shock any of us made it through fifth grade without a cell phone. If it wasn’t for my job I’d toss mine in the garbage.

46 Connie Dobbs March 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Best. Typo. Ever.

47 sonnage March 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Some teachers nowadays are on power trips and instead of making logical decisions, would rather flex their muscles. Still remember when I was in the 8th grade I asked my teacher for a pass to go to the nurse because my stomach didnt feel right. She refused to because i dont know why…okay, i proceeded to puke right by her desk. Smh. Not saying this was the case here but just saying. The mom was 100% wrong for handling this situation with savage behavior.

48 Antler March 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Connie, in previous posts you have written us about your negative opinion of the social services/foster care programs. Thinking ahead…..what if this woman is a single parent and does get convicted of assault? (I think she SHOULD be charged…….which led to the “what if” scenario.)

I kinda like my “what if” game better than the “what if it was an emergency” game because I’m betting a box of Jelly Bellys that the child was either texting a buddy in another class or else using the phone to take pictures of classmates and got caught.

***WARNING. Personal tale follows.*** So back in the “Older Than Dirt” epoch when I was in 5th grade, we took boxes of Jello to school and put the inside bag down in the hole which really were supposed to be used to hold bottles of ink. (Lowly fifth graders were not allowed to have ink and fountain pens.) Then one would lick an index finger, dip it down into the dry Jello granules, and put the finger in his mouth. Very messy…..gave the janitors fits…..made our pencils sticky, which fouled up the pencil sharpener….and left splotched (but rather lovely) scalloped designs on the edges of the papers we turned in.

This behavior didn’t really disrupt the teaching/learning phenomenon which was rampant during that epoch, but it was inconsiderate of the janitor and the teacher. So about a week into our fun, a note (ground out on the state-of-the-art Xerox machine in the principal’s office) went home to all the parents …..problem solved.

What a different time that was; parents and students respecting rules! Those who tried testing the system too seriously sometimes ended up going to the “military academy” (a bridge club euphemism for “reform school”) instead of being allowed back into public school. But even back then, a visitor always went to the school office FIRST.

49 BlueJay March 27, 2012 at 4:27 AM

AnotherAnon

Did you know my dad? That dog/rabbit saying was his favorite.

Also, If bullshit were music, you’d be a brass band!

50 Fast Eddie March 27, 2012 at 5:47 AM

How many of the other kids took videos of the altercation on their cell phones? juswonderin

51 Cruella March 27, 2012 at 6:55 AM

This is awful. I hope the teacher is okay. Please remember, your children are watching (all of the time). I feel sorry for this child. This parent is obviously unstable.

52 Barbara March 27, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Yeah … typical “cat’s in the craddle with the silver spoon” frequenting the streets today.

The kid is going to grow to be like his/her mother, and her grandmother, ad infinitum.

This is all compliments of Reagan for releasing the mentally ill.

53 The Real Deal March 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I’ll bet the student was wearing a hoodie.

54 1965-1970s March 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Was this parent wrong, yes absolutely many times over, you never do something like that in front of young children. But teachers are not always right, nor Gods, they are people too. Going to school I witnessed students mentally, verbally and physically assaulted. From a teacher that would “fast ball” throw blackboard erasers at students aiming for their heads to an elementary teacher that would come to work drunk and always had that thermos to a high school english teacher that was a verbal sociopath to anyone that didn’t agree with him. A white male fourth grade teacher refusing several requests by an overweight black girl to go to the bathroom during class until she soiled herself. To an intermediate school teacher verbally assaulting a student in a hallway for 5 minutes after he failed to hear “MR.” that was said in front of his name. Have a running and open dialog with your children make it a point to find out what’s going on in their schools.

55 SK March 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM

@BlueJay, Here is another favorite:

If a frog had wings, he wouldn’t bump his ass so much.

56 tellingthetruth March 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Too bad this parent was actually one of the ghetto black people who migrated to martinez from Richmond. Her and the child’s dad always sit out in front of the school on theory phones yelling nigga this nigga that while he is reading a bible. This parent that attacked the teacher had no place doing so because the teacher told he child to put away his phone. There was no medical emergency at all. These parents need to have charges pressed on them and their children should go back to the ghetto inner city school they came from because if they can’t respect the teacher in elementary, what do you think will happen later on?

57 Goat Head March 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM

When I was a kid it was the teachers assaulting the students; I know first hand.

58 Concord Dad March 27, 2012 at 8:40 AM

As parents, we must lead by example. Obviously, assaulting a teacher is a terrible example. I do wonder, however, if this parent is one of the same types of people who think that it is acceptable to pull out their own phone at any moment of the day, whether they are in the middle of a conversation with somebody else, paying at the store, in a restaurant, the movie theater, etc… Why else would they think that pulling out a phone in the classroom is acceptable?? They are probably teaching this same behavior to their child. 5th graders with phones are just a sign of the times, and I don’t think that the clock is going to be turned back there, so we should at least teach our kids proper phone manners, and the best way to do that is to lead by example.

59 hmmmmmm? March 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Hope this opens dialogue between parents and there own children on what to do scenarios, or at least teachers & students. Seems all on the same side approach would make more sense.
Anger is not the way to resolve anything!

60 Odd March 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Pretty poor example to walk into a classroom full of children and assault your child’s teacher. This super psycho-mom should be locked up and have to attend anger management classes. If the phone call was such a dire emergency, the parent could have called the principal’s office.

61 Palermo March 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM

The attacker Mom should have been arrested on the spot. Can’t believe what namby pamby kids there are today, do they know how to wipe themselves in the bathroom. Sheesh. Mom isn’t doing this kid a favor by acting like this.

62 Seargent Slappy March 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I knew a mom who was such a “helicopter mom” when her son wrote home that his commanding officer in boot camp was too hard on him she wrote a letter to the C.O. condemming his leadership skills. Needless to say the kid can now do 200 pushups in under 3 minutes.

63 vindex March 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

If the initial report is correct, the MPD and the MUSD should prosecute this parent to the fullest extent of the law. The people of our community cannot and will not tolerate teachers being assaulted by parents. I

64 lorriestories March 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM

While I agree the parent was very wrong in walking into the classroom and assaulting the teacher, I have to disagree with some of the comments. My son has asthma and my daughter has epilepsy. If they need meds they go to the office and call me. The school does allow medications on campus if you have a note filled out by the doctor. And yes, my son carries his inhaler at all times. My daughter has emergency meds just in case because one minute can mean the difference between life or death. AND my kids get cell phones in 6th grade usually because I need to contact them . And they do not watch the kids after school or after school sports. They may need to contact me,

65 anon March 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM

People ask how could the parent who did this be allowed on campus?

We have decided to underfund public education to the point where daily instruction at the elementary level relies heavily on parent volunteers.

It’s entirely not uncommon to see parents in classrooms. Most parents do a great job assisting in the classroom. But this culture of using non-credentialed, non-professionals in the classroom also allows for incidents like this (or worse) to happen.

66 Concordejet March 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM

whether I skip all the comments or not i wanna ask parents what kind of a cell phone did you let your kids have? was it just a basic phone or was a smart phone. This is giving me a sign of “playing games” on the cell phone when the teacher had told the student do not play with their cell phone and they did. The parents are being up a teacher for not letting them not only use the cell phone but to play video games? yeah right. very true on example of not having kids because this is what going to happen to children seeing all this mess happening and a way to grow up. if you going to let your kids take the cell phone to school get them a very basic without video games any kinds of downloads even without text messaging if i had a kid I get them a virgin mobile phone for $20 very basic phone hardly any entertainments

67 Connie Dobbs March 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM

“Single parent,” Antler?
I’ve heard Mary was the only single parent; everyone else’s kids have two, plus grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. I’m not so stupid or self-involved as to think mine is the only life experience. The child has a place to go while Mommy is in stir, if indeed it comes to that. She’ll probably just get probation. She didn’t hit a cop, after all.

68 theevaluator March 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Kids do not need cell phones in class. All phones should be turned off as soon as they enter. Teachers have enough on their plate with classroom management, teaching, etc. to worry about kids goofing around, texting, taking photos with their phones. Phone, if needed at all, should be used after school is out. Before there were cellphones, we went to the office if we needed to go home.

69 Bishop Estates March 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I just don’t know what the hell is going on anymore. If my kids choose to break the rules during school hours, then they are choosing to take the punishment PERIOD! Who in the hell does this parent think they are…Teachers and Support Staff are the bosses on Campus, no exceptions.
My son has had his phone taken 2 times…….and both times I took my sweet a@$ time (a week) to go pick it up. This happened when he was a freshman…now a junior. It stuck with him because I wouldn’t rush to his rescue.
Stop making excuses for your kids people…you aren’t teaching them anything except to be disrespectful brats who will grow into A$$hole adults.

70 martinezdad March 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM

To Mt Diablo Mom,

I’ve worked at schools and know that introducing a parent into an initial school investigation (like what happened to your son) is usually a very bad idea. Many times these moms (or dads) want to rush in an defend their kid no matter what the evidence says. They immediately want to grill (intimidate) legitimate victims and tell them they are liars to their faces.

As a matter of fact I was at a middle school office a few weeks back when a helicopter mom came onto campus after her daughter called her on her cellphone. The girl was inexplicably “bullied” after a transfer from another school two weeks earlier where she was also inexplicably “bullied”. From the sound of it the girl probably was a drama starter (like mother like daugher)

Mom ended up getting into a shouting match with the involved kids and was surprised when they had no respect for her juvenile behavior and treated her like another middle school kid and called her a “whore”. She was expelled form the office, banned from coming to the school and her daugher transferred yet again to another school where she will probably be “bullied” again

71 Treat others as you would like to March 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM

be treated.

Works every time.

72 Antler March 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Connie at #67 ~ ~ ~ Sorry, didn’t mean to hit a nerve, and I did not imply that you are “stupid or self-involved”…..just wanted information about something I remembered you have knowledge.

“Single parents” are quite prevalent…….one or the other has “flown the coop” and never makes contact again, including monetary; or one parent is dead; and many “bad actors” such as this mom may have family members who have “written her off” for one reason or another, or who simply cannot help.

So…..probation. I suppose one might add ‘if anything’?

73 Connie Dobbs March 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM

#72: Please. The last thing you are is “sorry.”
I suppose I should be grateful you deem my words to be my own, otherwise you’d have the mod on me to delete all of my comments.

74 Annonnnnn March 28, 2012 at 6:26 AM

@MtDiabloMom – I just have three words for you and your son – “Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!” – Please let your boy grow up to be a boy – not a wimp!

75 @Connie March 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM

“I’ve heard Mary was the only single parent…”

Nah, she just got caught in a lie and let it spiral out of control — big time. If it happened today, she’d be on Maury…

76 Antler March 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Connie at #73 ~ ~ ~ My comments at #48 and #72 contained not even the slightest animosity toward you. I was wondering about something and remembered that you have empirical knowledge of the subject, so I asked your advice. Yes, I truly am sorry I hit a nerve.

77 Concernicus March 31, 2012 at 9:48 PM

5th graders: they got 99 problems, but a teacher ain’t one!

(sorry, i just had to.)

78 My $.02 April 1, 2012 at 2:55 AM

People, there is real cause for concern here. Kids today are disconnected, they lack relational skills. All the texting has caused lack of care for one another has human beings. They have no problem saying what ever they feel at the time. This is the “ME” generation. It’s all about them. What will they have to give to their children when it comes to morals, values or respect. What you fail to see here is this parent is also disconnected and lacks skills to give (each generation worse than the last) messed up parents, messing up kids, to mess up their kids….. It truely takes a community to raise a child, not 1 or 2 parents or 1 teacher, but all of us. When you see your kids friends not acting right, talk to them about their behavior. Most of these “bad” kids just need to be loved and cared for, and you don’t have to be their parent or teacher to make a difference in what kind of adult they will become. When you see them do something good, tell them! It might be the only positive words they ever get.
Many of you sit here and speak out insults against this parent or the child. But I dare you to talk to your own kids about this, ask them what they thing about this situation and tell them what they should do if this situation arises. Encourage them to encourage their friends to do the right thing (when they see them doing the wrong thing), encourage them to be a good example to their classmates, teach them compassion. My son had a kid at his school in 4th grade that he didn’t really like, because this kid did bad things. Took other kids stuff and was mean to other (quite kids). He didn’t want anything to do with this boy. But I encouraged him, he should be friendly to him anyway (let his actions show this boy how to treat people). I later noticed at school one day that this boy was loud and looking for attention, I pointed that out to my son along with the fact that this boy was dealing with some issues, but I could see underneath that he was looking for attention. My son decided to invite this kid to an amusment park with us one day (I was surprised)! The kid ran the day, telling us (not asking) lets do this next, lets ride that. My son never opposed what this boy wanted to do all day. When I later ask him why he let him run the day, he said to me ” you said he was looking for attention, so I figured I’d let the day be about him” (I could have cried). Fastforward 2 years later and I’ve seen this boy a few times this year, as recent as a week ago and I’m seeing him start to behave differently.

If you are able, get involved. Volunteer at a school and speak into the lives of these children who lack love and proper support at home (regardless of what city they came from). Your small jesture of showing that you care may be all they need, to know there is something better then the only role models they have ever seen.

And if your a teacher, I know you deal with a lot from kids who misbehave. Don’t hate! I too have sit in classrooms and seen teachers mistreat and disrespect students. If dealing with students has made you build up anger and resentment, so that you are mean to kids and you don’t trust any kids because you have seen it all and you trust none of them “ever”. Then find another career and let a teacher who truely loves this profession that has been displaced take on this great opportunity to be what might be the only light in these kids lives. If you hate your job, leave it! You are damaging these kids just as much and the life (or lack of) that they have (or don’t have) at home.

Everyone, lets take this bad situation and use it for good! If you’re not part of the solution then you are part of the problem..
WHICH SIDE WILL YOU CHOOSE?