Daylight Saving Time – Set Your Clocks Forward One Hour Before Bed Tonight

March 10, 2012 12:17 pm · 20 comments

Tonight, before you go to bed, don’t forget to change your clocks one hour ahead, and also change the batteries in your smoke alarms!

CAL FIRE Reminds Californians – Change Your Clocks, Change Your Batteries

Sacramento – Smoke alarms are such a common feature in homes across California that it is easy to take them for granted. Tragically nearly two-thirds of residential fire deaths occur in homes without working smoke alarms. To help reduce these losses, CAL FIRE and the Office of the State Fire Marshal are reminding all Californians to change the batteries in their smoke alarms when changing their clocks this Saturday night in observance of Daylight Saving Time.

When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are missing, disconnected or dead. “Working smoke alarms greatly reduce the likelihood of residential fire-related fatalities by providing an early audible warning, alerting occupants and giving them an opportunity to safely escape,” said Acting State Fire Marshal Tonya Hoover.

That’s critical because 85 percent of all fire deaths occur in the home, and the majority occur at night when most people are sleeping.

“Smoke alarms unquestionably help save lives, but a smoke alarm is nothing without a working battery inside of it” said Chief Ken Pimlott, acting director of CAL FIRE. “Just a few minutes twice a year to change that battery can truly mean the difference between life and death.”

CAL FIRE has the following tips on smoke alarms:

• Test smoke alarms once a month.
  • Replace batteries in all smoke alarms twice a year.
  • Don’t “borrow” or remove batteries from smoke alarms even temporarily.
  • Regularly vacuum or dust smoke alarms to keep them working properly.
  • Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
  • Don’t paint over smoke alarms.
  • Practice family fire drills so everyone knows what to do if the smoke alarm goes off.

For more information, visit the CAL FIRE Web site at www.fire.ca.gov.

1 Anon II March 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Word Up!

Replace those Furnace filters also.
HINT: It’s to protect your furnace blower motor, don’t buy into the Expensive filters hype, you’re only filtering / breathing air that is already inside your home.

2 AnotherAnon March 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

And remember, it’s daylight we’re saving, therefore daylight SAVING time, not daylight savingS time. We’re not savingS daylight, are we?

3 Nick March 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

@AnotherAnon, just to play devil’s advocate because I’m bored, if you save money in an account, is it a saving account or a savings account? If you get sale prices with a club card, does your receipt show your saving or your savings?

4 AnotherAnon March 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Nick, just as in the statement on DST, you’re saving money in an account, the accumulation of which would be referred to as a savings account, because that is where the accumulated money(savings) is kept. I don’t depend upon banks or clubs to provide correct English for my use, and I suspect you don’t either, you devil. Good question, though.

5 Nick March 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

AnotherAnon, good answer. I just had to float that one out there. Haha

6 Scoots March 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM

As long as the thread is getting hijacked I might as well add that saying “I could care less” indicates that you do indeed have some some concern for the subject at hand. To properly express your complete lack of interest one should say “I could’nt care less” indicating that you have no concern for the subject whatsoever.

7 Nick March 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM

@scoots, did you catch last week’s pet peeve thread? There was tons of good stuff like that on it.

8 Gullible Ones Will Respond March 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Why do we have to move clocks forward at 2 AM? You’d think whoever implemented DST could have picked a more convenient time. I mean, Ya gotta get up from a deep sleep and walk around the house adjusting every freakin’ clock!! Then ya gotta adjust the clock in your car in the middle of the night!!

Sheez. When will the stupidity end????

9 CJ March 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

OK, I want to play. AnotherAnon, your answer to Nicks question was indeed a good one. However, if one considers daylight in terms of a smaller unit – photons emitted by the sun, for example – would it not be just as accurate to consider the accumulation of photons in the same manner as the accumulation of money? Therefore, Daylight Savings?
Things that make you go hmmmmm……….

10 Antler March 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

:-) Nick-Nick-Nick ;-) Your sentence should read “There WERE tons of good stuff…….” :-)

Don’t you just hate it when things like that happen?

11 fr49ered March 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Why do we still have Daylight Saving Time? Do we still need it?

12 Zoom-Zoom March 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

^^ @11… Arizona has one time, all the time. Do we need it? Ask the government… CA will be doing DST until otherwise notified. I’m sure the liberals will start an expensive initiative to ban DST because it affects the 99 percent! Excellent reasoning, isn’t it?

… along the same note, where have all the Occupiers gone? Has the bandwagon left town? What did is accomplish? Let’s see… it cost Oakland a few million dollars and raised “awareness”. Shyeah, THAT was really productive.

Occupiers = Useless.

13 Make My Day March 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

>>>>To help reduce these losses, CAL FIRE and the Office of the State Fire Marshal are reminding all Californians to change the batteries in their smoke alarms when changing their clocks this Saturday night in observance of Daylight Saving Time.

This reminds me, did anyone else buy those crappie First Alert Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms? These units are constantly false alarming, the one in my bedroom triggers when the TV remote is used. You cant put one anywhere near a door with air movement.

14 AnotherAnon March 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

CJ @ 9
Just as in the example for DST, I’d think it then would become Photon Saving Time(saving photons)? After which, of course, we’d refer to the saving of those accumulated photons as photon savings.

15 CJ March 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

My head just exploded.

16 Nick March 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

@Antler, shush dammit!!! That’s enough out of you!!! :)

17 Antler March 11, 2012 at 4:52 AM

AnotherAnon and CJ ~ ~ ~ You two are a kick and I’m enjoying the banter so much!

18 Antler March 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Awwww, okay, Nick. I’ll TRY to behave. (And I meant to include your name in my appreciation of the banter, because YOU started it with your comment at #3.)

I know it’s really Daylight Saving Time, but I always say “Savings”. It just comes out that way. Maybe it’s just the shopper in me coming out?

19 bluebird March 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Just did my taxes so was wondering: if I saved the hour last November did it accrue any interest that I need to claim on my 2011 taxes? (Oops, I may need to file an amended tax form.) Cant’ seem to get moving this morning so spending it reading Claycord comments. :)

20 AnotherAnon March 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

CJ @15
You just came up with something more for us to consider; we only have one (1) brain, which may be what you meant by “your head exploding”, yet we often hear of a person’s “brains” being splashed on a wall, after being shot or otherwise injured. Ain’t languages fun? Or should that be aren’t language fun? Whatever.