Mount Diablo High School Teachers – Fed Up With Abuse on Campus

October 3, 2011 8:00 am · 163 comments

Throughout the past few weeks, we’ve received anonymous emails from teachers at Mount Diablo High School in Concord, saying they fear for their lives every single day, and they claim the school & the district has refused to discipline a handful of students on many occasions after teachers were verbally, and in some cases, physically abused.

One teacher wrote to us with the following comment….

I would never work in such a dangerous place if any districts were hiring. Jobs are hard to come by…so I don’t have a choice. If you called and spoke to the principal, she would tell you there are no gangs here. Ask her why uniforms are used at other districts nearby, but not here.

I think the new principal is a force for change and change for the better.  She is pretty liberal, and I don’t agree with some stuff, but she has been cleaning house, and some of the teachers who were part of the status quo are gone. IF you are not a great teacher, they are making you feel pretty unwelcome.

I think she just needs to be able to suspend these kids. Many have records, and some can be saved, not all though. The ones that endanger teachers and students should go.

MDUSD Superintendent Steven Lawrence says the problem students are dealt with, and abuse towards teachers is not tolerated….

We have asked schools to look at their disciplinary procedures because we know students can’t learn if they are not in school. That being said, students who create an unsafe environment for other students and/or staff should be disciplined appropriately.

Other teachers say several police are called to the school on a daily basis to deal with fighting, and claim non-students are constantly loitering on campus.

QUESTION: Are you a staff member at MDHS? If so, do you feel safe at work?

101 Cherry October 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Did you know that Mt has 7 AP classes?
1 US History
2 Biology
3 English Literature and Composition
4 US Government and Politics
5 Calculus AB
6 Spanish Literature
7 Environmental Science

102 Mt. Graduate 09 October 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM

It is really pathetic and very amusing to hear that alot of the problem is due to minorities and Bay Point students. Bay Point is just like any other town and is not the problem for the schools troubles. The schools in Bay Point are part of the MDUSD, saying that pittsburg kids need to go to pittsburg, is ignorant and stupid. My personal experiance at mt. was like any other high schoolers’ experiance. Every school had it’s problem but what it comes down to is how the problem is approched. If you honestley think that closing down the school is going to solve the problem, then you are very naive and selfish to want to deprive thes kids thier education.

103 Straight-up! October 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM

“Lisa current student at MDHS” please make sure you do your English homework. As for the rest…I blame the parents for not parenting, for not setting boundaries, for working hard to keep food on the table that you don’t take time or energy to follow up on your children. For those parents that are junkies or alcoholics and beating your child up physically and verbally or just plain lazy folks, you are to blame for NOT teaching your kids responsibility for their actions and NOT taking responsibility for your family-shame on you! You know who you are too! Don’t look the other way…

104 a ticked off BayPoint MOM October 3, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I am appalled that everyone is pointing his or her finger at BayPoint. I know for a fact there are more gangs in concord around the Salono area then anywhere in BayPoint. This sickens me. My son who went to Mount in the early 2000’s was exspelled from school because a kid from CONCORD hit him in the head with a stack of books, not once but twice. My son told him before he hit them second time he had better not do it again. So because my son protected himself he was expelled.
People get a grip on life and point blame where balme is, it is not in just one area “BAYPOINT/PITTSBURG” parents need to start putting their foot down and open a can of whoop a$$ on these kids. Quit sending them to school for the teachers and staff to deal with what you can’t deal with at HOME!!

105 ??? October 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM

STUDENTS POSITNG..you’re saying the school isn’t so bad…have you known a school better than MDHS? DON’T SETTLE FOR LESS! DEMAND MORE FOR YOURSELVES!!

106 STUDENT. October 3, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Honestly, if you actually SPENT a day at this school, you would realize it isn’t that bad. If you stay away from the people who do bad things, you are FINE. And don’t blame the district for this.

Some of the parents don’t educate their kids right about what’s right and wrong. What are the teachers supposed to do? Educate them like a parent ? That’s a PARENTS job. Yes our teachers do the best they can and the district can’t teach common manners in a school obviously. Please stop bashing and learn about what REALLY goes on in this school.

That’s all I have to say.

107 STUDENT. October 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Oh, and just saying, but look at ALL the students that have defended this school. To adults who criticize our school: How about now? You haven’t spent any time more than 10 minutes here, and you think you can come here and judge? I know so many high-achievers at this school and many of them are my colleagues and friends. A lot of us even try to help our friends to study and do their homework. Are you PROUD that you’re just sitting here behind your little computer bashing our school instead of doing something productive to help ? All you guys can say is CLOSE IT DOWN and blame it on other people, but are you even contributing. I’m not disrespecting any of you, but many of you are disrespecting our school and EVERYONE who goes to it. If you guys WANT a change, YOU make it happen. It’s a team effort; not something that can be done by one person. So please, don’t just complain. You don’t even KNOW what it’s like at this school. Some kids that go here consider it a haven compared to what they have to deal with at home.

108 Hmm October 3, 2011 at 11:25 PM

I wonder; how many parents actually went to Back to School Night with your child?

109 Troll October 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Aye, cudi! Y’all sure be talkin’ a lot of shit, but you won’t come over and say it to our faces! Bunch of cowards. Y’all ain’t got no balls! Y’all just scared that we might mess y’all up!

Ha. I kid. I kid.

Basically, Mt Diablo High School is a great school with, unfortunately, a terrible reputation that has no actual evidence behind it. These reports seem to be written by ignorant individuals that seem hellbent on perpetuating false truths about Mt Diablo High. If one were to take a day to visit the campus and walk among the students, that person would find a wonderful school. The campus is cleaner now thanks to the leadership students. There are no longer lingering students out in the quad thanks to the attendance policies which were put into place by the current principal. Besides that, the students are not all “thugs”. They are all amazing individuals, each with a beautiful story and mind to share. Many are on track to go off to ivy league and UC schools. Others are incredible sports stars. And others are just hard workers with problems that need a hand, not a kick from ignorant fools such as yourselves.

The teachers at Mt Diablo High do not “fear” for their lives. In fact, most teachers show up early in the morning and won’t leave until late in the afternoon because they are going the extra mile to make sure the students are getting the right attention. So, yeah. The teachers are scared out of their damn minds.

You can take my word on all of this or ignore it while you continue to run your own mouths off. It’s fine by me. Just know I get a kick from watching you all argue on an internet blog. Your words will go no further than these comments and nothing will change. Just sayin’.

Teehee~~~

110 Pissed Off Alumni October 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Are you all for real? I graduated from Mount a a few years back, and going there over Clayton valley or Concord was the BEST decision I’ve ever made in my life. I was part of IHTA, where I had the best teachers and the greatest classmates. I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world. By the way, I was one of those “over the hill” kids from bay point until my Junior year when I moved to Concord, the kids in Concord are worse than the ones in Bay Point. And there sure as hell are a lot of immigrant families but you better believe most of those kids aren’t the ones causing trouble, they know the sacrifice their parents have made for their future. So as a Bay Point kid, the child of immigrants, a Mount graduate, where do I stand now? About to receive Master’s in biology from UC Berkeley with early acceptance to Columbia Medical. Don’t ever doubt a Mount kid. Red Devils Forever Baby!!!!!!

111 Han Phan October 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I don’t care if my name is out there. I’m proud to be a Mount Diablo High School student. I’ve already submitted a few comments under different names, but I just want to say with my own identity:
I’m in clubs and programs that work to benefit me, I play sports, I take AP classes, and my highschool life is clean. I don’t understand why people don’t see the hard workers and allow that 1% of students cloud the others. I’m also from Bay Point/ Pittsburg and I take leadership. Why can’t people see that nothing has happened that could even harm me at school? It really is just like any other school environment.

112 Really? October 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Hey don’t knock on the improvements these kids have been working on in testing. Any progress is progress be happy for them. Mount isn’t bad, if the teachers are “threatened and unsafe” they can leave, these kids are sick of their negative attitude towards them. Obviously all the haters have never spent a day at Mount. My family has gone to that school for 3 GENERATIONS, not once have we ever had any sort of problem. Me and my twin just graduated, and we never got anything stolen, never felt unsafe. Shit if anything the diversity and adrenaline in the air is what makes mount a better school than the rest of the Concord high schools. Mount is fun as hell

113 Teacher's Daughter October 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM

@real – #68: Please tell me you’re not a sub. A former MDHS student is a believable statement, but you can’t write a single decent English sentence to save your life. How on God’s green earth did you ever get a teaching credential? Now I’m getting some insight as to how far our whole public educational system has plummeted.

MDHS has had a culture of violence within the student body and indifference on the part of the administration for decades. The teachers are sandwiched in the middle. My mother taught there in the 70’s and 80’s. The same issues we’re discussing here sound like stories I heard at home. Teachers afraid for their well-being. Physically threatened by both students and sometimes parents, intimidated by a do-nothing administration and encouraged not to “make waves.”

There were a few bright beacons like Coach Hagerstrand (yes, related to the CVHS teacher) who instituted conflict resolution where the administration sat on their hands or applied band-aid solutions, but the black cloud remains.

People in the MDHS community – parents, teachers, kids, staff – who care about a safe learning environment need to get involved and take action. Violent offenders: OUT. Drug dealers: OUT. Bullies: OUT. Take a lesson from the Wall Street protesters. Stick your neck out, speak up. Write. Email. Phone. Nobody should have to put up with the s**t that has and continues to go on there.

114 IGRNORANCE October 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM

I honestly cannot believe some of the things that are being said. ” Pittsburg residents need to attend school IN PITTSBURG!!!”, “Concord kids are are being corrupted by some very hard core trouble makers. Since when do we protect the hoodlums instead of the ‘good’ kids.”, ” The majority of kids that go to Mt. Diablo HS are from Bay Point, Pittsburg, and Antioch. I can say this from my own knowledge from working within specific organizations in this area. They send all of the extremely troubled kids from all over when they don’t know what else to do with them.”??? I am by far offended by these words. I attended Mt. Diablo High School, I am from Bay Point and was raised there for a majority of my life. I turned out JUST FINE. I was an over achieving student who graduated with a 4.0 GPA and am now attending UCSC. These comments you guys are making are offensive and disrespectful. You’re all just as bad as the dangerous “MDHS” you guys make it seem. You do not have the RIGHT to judge anything or anyone who has or is attending this school. Things like this are what really piss me off, people who judge and assume things without knowing the reality of it all. It’s called IGNORANCE, look it up.

115 Luna October 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM

@106

Yes I have actually been from another district! In fact, I was from another district and got moved to Mt. after moving within the boundaries of the Mt. lines. I can honestly tell you that I do not regret going to Mt. instead of schools like Concord or Clayton Valley. My school reputation has remained clean all throughout high school and I am now not only a proud alumni of Mt. (class of 2011) but also a freshman at Cal State East Bay in their Pre-Nursing program! Yes, that’s right you critics of Bay Point kids! A Bay Point resident who went to Mt. is successfully in college and doing quite well in fact. So how’s that for validation that not all kids from Mt. or Bay Point are “troublemakers” or whatever other names you have decided to call us. How about before you make decisions stating that Mt. is bad, you actually get off the computer, go visit Mt. for a day and see what it’s like from the student’s point of view? If you don’t want to be proven wrong, then how about you take initiative instead of complaining on the computer?

116 Mick October 4, 2011 at 12:39 AM

The amount of students of and/or graduates of MDHS who are defending the school is amazing. Do you really think a school that is all you say it is would have students coming onto a blog to defend their school on their own time? That, itself, shows the amount of love, dedication and appreciation a lot of the students have for the school and some of the staff. Stop letting the 2% of trouble makers blind you from seeing the achievements of the other 98% of the students who go to MDHS. If you’re concerned about specific situations, get out and do something about it. Report it, go to meetings, volunteer. If you can careless about the school, then keep your opinion to yourself. I personally think it’s a wonderful school with wonderful academies. Have any of you researched DSA and their reputation? How about IHTA?

And for you grammar nazi’s on here, it is a blog, not an English paper that’s going to be graded. All that should matter is the message the poster is trying to get across. It is still legible.

The sooner you look on the brighter side of things and see the light, the happier you’ll live.

117 Truth you don't want to hear October 4, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Yeah. All the haters can say whatever they want, but when you have the students and alumni of Mount Diablo High School saying that the reputation doesn’t fit, I don’t know how people could possibly still have such prejudices against the school. When you have students and alumni saying they’re HAPPY being affiliated with MDHS, where does your hateful, ignorant, and prejudiced “logic” stand now? I am a graduate of MDHS Class of 2011, and because of the preparation and education I received from there, I am currently a successful private college student working towards a Bachelor’s in Graphic Design. Along with me, I have many fellow graduates working towards the medical field as well. Do some research before you talk down on Mount Diablo High School.

118 ??? October 4, 2011 at 12:39 AM

STUDENTS POSITNG..you’re saying the school isn’t so bad…have you known a school better than MDHS? How can u gauge that the school is fine/ok if you have never gone to a better school? You all say “I” had a wonderful experience. How is MDHS as a WHOLE? The school isn’t based off individuals. It’s based on a whole. You shouldn’t be arguing for yourselves that the school was a good experience for you. But then again, you can’t really argue it’s a good experience for everyone..and that’s where the school is compared to other schools..

119 Truth you don't want to hear October 4, 2011 at 1:02 AM

@???

Who exactly are you to say that there are better schools? In your perspective, every other school out there is better, but then you don’t even consider the student’s perspective. Admittedly, there are students who don’t want to be at MDHS and those students generally don’t want to be in school anyway. Putting them somewhere else won’t solve the problem unless you actually work with the student. On the flipside, many of the MDHS students WANT to be there. I know this as a graduate and I still keep in touch with MDHS. Unless you are a student yourself (which is a more credible source because we live out the facts and witness them before our eyes), I don’t think you’re fit to say MDHS’s experience as a whole is bad.

120 ??? October 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM

@Truth you don’t want to hear

did it also ever dawn on you that almost no one here, except for few “staff” are actually answering the question? ***Do you feel safe working here?***

at least point ppl in the direction of answering the question directly rather than beating around the bush saying “i had a good experience” etc..also student perspective DOES NOT answer a question aimed at “staff” real or not..

121 ??? October 4, 2011 at 1:22 AM

@Mick a friend of mine happends to actually attend MDHS currently…says he can’t get anything done with basically the whole class “interfering” with a “bad” teacher..he’s not learning anything due to students not respecting the teacher. and the teacher as well is unorganized.. sounds like a terrible environment to learn in..just wondering-what percentage of a student body class graduates? 100% – 0%? does anybody know?

122 ??? October 4, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Truth you don’t want to hear

To base experience on students’ perspective IS to base it off not knowing a better school. Have you ever experienced a school where when police are called, it’s a rarity? Where a fight is a rarity? I’m not saying students’ perspectives of a good experience is invalid…I’m simply telling them to DEMAND MORE & DEMAND BETTER. Students should never be satisfied with their school unless it already provides the perfect learning environment. But until then, ALWAYS DEMAND MORE.

123 Let's be real October 4, 2011 at 1:38 AM

@Mick #117 – You have a good point about the percentage of trouble makers vs. the majority of students who are there to learn.

However, about your grammar nazi comment, what do you think about someone posting here who’s supposed to be a high school teacher and example to students, but can’t write a decent basic English sentence? It just demonstrates how low the bar’s dropped in public education. That doesn’t bother you?

Same thing goes for any high school students posting here. Don’t tell me a kid who has mastered 50 levels of some video game can’t apply those same brain cells to basic spelling and sentence construction. It just shows they don’t give a s**t. That’ll take them far in the real world, won’t it?

Job application fail: check
College application essay fail: check
Job report writing fail: check

124 Dr. Bob October 4, 2011 at 5:38 AM

To the MDHS Staff:

How many fights are you aware of the occur right in front of the Catholic School, next to Mount Diablo High School? How about the fights at the various bus stops and at John Muir Hospital, both before and after school? How about the drug sales and use that occur as YOUR kids are arriving and leaving school?

As a business owner near YOUR school I am FED UP with this crap! These aren’t just one-on one fights! These are fights, sometimes involving dozens of YOUR kids. How can staff say the school is safe when I regularly see 3 or more CPD cars at the school at one time? Two weeks ago, there were over a dozen police cars in front of the church after a fight broke out BEFORE school!

Does it ever occur to you that OUR police might have better things to do than to provide constant “babysitting” duties to YOUR campus?

Time to take a look at the principal and superintendent and what they are doing to make this campus safe for OUR community!

125 mdusd mother October 4, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Funny thing is Pittsburg Unified grew by 1,000 students this year. The new schools in Pit and the new facilities at the High School are attracting MDUSD families from the Pittsburg/Bay Point area. Yes, they are leaving MDUSD and Mount for better facilites and programs. MDUSD take notes.

Another funny- Pittsburg crime rate is at the lowest rate in 50 years. Are you sure Mount parents & others like (#4 Mount mom and #46 Anon) where the alleged “bad elements” are coming from. Might be from your own backyard/neighborhood.

126 Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 7:13 AM

So I heard from a friend who works there that the Principle will not suspend the students who are the problem. The school get more money when they students are at school and tells the teachers to work it out or get out.

What a crazy B for putting other students in danger and teacher. I think the district should be sued by the teachers and parents!

127 easy October 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM

that school has been bad since the mid 90s..all you here from that school is drug and gang problems and its been going on forever..closed the freakin school

128 Straight Up October 4, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Actually, the class of 2011 was the biggest graduating class in recent concord history. 365 outta 380 graduated. Suck on that haters

129 Jason October 4, 2011 at 8:31 AM

More justification of my kids going to private school.
Ahhh, thank you Lord.

130 As Usual... October 4, 2011 at 9:28 AM

…we are blaming schools for not doing enough for our kids, when it’s parents that are the ones that should be taking care of their children!

No school/teacher can enact change in the short period of time they have with students, not to mention the fact that they have hundreds of kids to deal with at the same time.

Time to start holding parents responsible for their minor’s actions.

131 Isn't that funny October 4, 2011 at 9:40 AM

So you say close the school?

Where are all the students that are currently attending that high school going to get then? That’s right, to your precious “good” schools, where all your “good students” are. But judging from what most of you believe, the troublemakers corrupt all the goodies, so you can say goodbye to your “good schools” and “good students”. Oh and what about all the teachers, administrators, and staff, where are they going to go? Unemployed and living off YOUR tax dollars, until they can find another position! Isn’t that great? :) And considering California’s unemployment rate, I couldn’t think of a better idea!

Grow up and open your eyes. Closing down a school just creates more problems.

Oh and to the ones talking about how the administration and districts need to “make changes”, how about you stop being idiots? You can’t just elect someone and expect immediate change, the world and especially our country, doesn’t work that way. Change occurs only if we fight for it and are persistent. And judging from the majority of you, you’re not persistent, have no perseverance, hate your jobs and quite possibly your lives, and bide your time on a small, local internet blog, that allows you to complain about all the things you THINK are wrong in this world, while of course giving advice on how you think they should be resolved, with no real consideration on how to actually make your dreams become reality.

Seriously, how about you so called “Good Citizens” stop acting like you care. You’re just finding something to complain about because that’s probably the only place you find joy in your pathetic, suburban lives.

132 Kellie Morales October 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM

@ JB – BEAUTIFULLY written!

@ 61 – Your information is wrong! Nobody was arreseted! It’s lies like this that feeds the hysteria that surronds our school.

133 DoReMi October 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM

@ IGNORANCE #115:

Thank you for setting us straight with this caveat:

You cannot blame us for our opinions when we are hated to our faces by teen punks. I cannot count the times I or my husband have been waylaid by hating teenagers walking as slow as possible in the crosswalks so as to prevent traffic from proceeding during commute hours. Also, I have refrained from walking in the vicinity of this school because of the hate from teens.

Now that I know most of the kids are sent there because it is the catchall for ill tempered teens…I will avoid them with confidence.

Congratutlations on your success and I wish you the best at UCSC.

134 DoReMi October 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM

JB: The best way to imporve our schools is to have parents pay more attention to their kids and keep them under voice command. That way they will be accustomed to sitting still during school hours and maybe even learn something.

It begins in the home. I will take it a step further. It begins in infancy. Concentration/observation skills begin at a very early age.

135 Be Realistic About It October 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Well, said JB #131.

To those of you who want to blame MDUSD for the problems at Mt. Diablo HS, are you willing to give credit to MDUSD for Northgate High School’s API score of 830?

The schools are both reflections of the community around them. There’s no reason to blame the principal and teachers or the school district for many of Mt. D’s problems. They are the problems of the community it draws from. The school district and its employees don’t have a magic wand they can wave over the school and make all of the ills of society disappear.

It’s unfair to stereotype every student that goes to Mt. D or every teacher who works there. As JB so eloquently pointed out, there are many Mt. Diablo students who go on to college and lead productive lives, as well as many wonderful teachers who willingly work there. Just a week or so ago a Contra Costa Times article profiled a Mt. Diablo teacher who was doing amazing things for the students of Mt. D. He started a performing arts academy at Mt. D. He’s working with the school and district to develop innovative curriculum. He’s teaching the students how to work within the system to achieve the changes they want to see. He didn’t sound like someone who was terrified to go to work every day or was counting the hours until he could transfer out. He was a dedicated teacher working hard to educate his students.

136 CJ October 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I just want to point out that I will usually skim over comments that are long-winded like that of JB. However, JB’s comment was so well written and well reasoned that I read it word for word. For all of you young people (and unfortunately some adults) who post gibberish and then get offended when someone assumes you are ignorant, please take your time when you post. Proof read before you hit “submit”. If you really aren’t capable of forming complete sentences or using punctuation, ask someone who is capable to proof read for you. “Grammar nazis” exist at every level of employment in the real world, so get used to it. If you are unable or unwilling to take the time to post your thoughts in a clear, concise and cogent manner, you lose credibility. I have no dog in this fight; but I refuse to spend my time reading input from any individual who is unable or unwilling to put in the effort .

137 Dear Megan October 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Dear Megan.
I counted 31 grammatical errors in your posting. If you are going to make a point about Mt Diablo HS being so good, it would be nice if you spelled some words correctly.
here are some of your spellings,

people= peopole
think-thrink
didn’t=dident
wasn’t=wasent
people=peopole

There are many more. If you want to make a point try to plan ahead, check spelling and make it brief, rants are not read by many.

138 maga October 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

what they should have done is close down mount instead of holbrook or glenbrook.

139 Gino Pichhi October 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM

It is 100%, the parents fault. Parents of today, are afraid of whom they give birth to. Given today’s non existent gap between the lines that separate adults from children, I say juvenile and adults should be prosecuted identically, given they are on the second or greater strike. I will give the benefit of the doubt to every one, in that everyone is not perfect and deserves a first time kick in the pants or slap on the hand so to say. The whole topic is a big circle which involves not only the parent, but why the parents are whom the parent has become over the past decades. Some call it trickle up poverty, some call trickle down economics, some call in self entitlement theory, some call it what ever. The fact is that the parent must want to make a difference and that is where it must start.

140 TEACHERS!!!! October 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM

1. If you are afraid for your life or physical/sexual safety, you would not be going to work! If the threat is legit, and you are still going to work, YOU ARE STUPID!!!! I mean Jesus, you wouldn’t walk through a dark, dangerous alley at night. Don’t go there if it’s actually dangerous.I teach in Alt ed. with actual troubled kids and if I ever thought I was in danger, I would not go. Don’t be an idiot.

2. Call the union. It’s illegal if you are in danger. Duh. Go around the admin.

3. If you fear the kids at your school, don’t teach there!!! This is not hard math. They are eating you alive BECAUSE of your fear. They have you on the run and are pulling your strings.

4. Do you actually think you will be able to teach kids you don’t even LIKE? They know you don’t like them and repay you in kind. It is disgusting to me that there are teachers who would take a job with kids they don’t like and expect success.

5. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR SHUT THE HELL UP!!!! You don’t get it both ways.

141 MDHS Student October 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Like Mt. is the only school that has fights. Concord High School had a fight last years which INVLOVED a administrator. SHE GOT HER AS BEAT!!!!!! WHY TALK ABOUT MT. ONLY!!!!!!!!!! Every school has problems but idiot people don’t like to admit it. (TEACHERS WHO TALK)

142 MDHS Student's October 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Keep talking we will always defend our school. Have you notice I am not the only student sticking up for our school………
GO MT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

143 Nameless Sub October 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I subbed at Mount in 2010. Most of the day went fine and the kids were mouthy but it was nothing I couldn’t deal with (As a High School Sub you learn that giving a little back and joking with them makes a more successful day than trying to fight against them). During one of the class periods a girl showed up halfway through the period tardy and reeking of pot. I sent her to the office with the corrected attendance hoping that the office staff and administrators would do something about it when she arrived and she came back a few minutes later still reeking. No one had even bothered to question her. After the class had left it was lunch so I went to the office and reported the problem but they said there was nothing they could do without proof. I was infuriated with the lack of discipline at that school. You can see it reflected in the classrooms where students have damaged or destroyed fixtures and desks including heaters. In the classroom I was in, the teacher’s desk was so disorganized it was difficult to find sub plans and in fact all I found was a DVD with a sticky on it labeled “sub”. The teacher assigned them to watch a movie which had no relevance to any English curriculum that I have seen, the equipment barely worked, and the remote had been stolen. How can the students show respect or have pride in their school if their teachers do not? I haven’t been back to Mount since then, not because my day was so awful, but because I have other choices and other sub jobs are more appealing than that depressing place.

144 Hey, MDHS Students! October 4, 2011 at 1:30 PM

If you don’t like what people say or believe about your school, clean it up. Stop the gangs, drugs, hatred. Your teachers and school administrators are not going to do anything. You have a student body organization, use that set standards and organize and make your school a peaceful and drug free area. I bet the students can do a lot better job than the district admins.

Just do it…

145 What I have noticed... October 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Is that there are many teachers AND students posting during school hours. You both have better thing to attend to! You say you want to teach, then teach! You say you want to learn, go learn! See you back here after school dismisses for the day.

146 Snape October 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM

All I have to say is that if you guys still need more proof that Mt. is an amazingly awesome school, come to Mt. and look around. You will not see a fight while you are there. Instead you will see a school where students go to learn and the teachers that make that possible.

All these negative comments really hurt me and also our community. You say that Mt. is a “bad” school, but that is only what a few of you guys think. How many people have come here to defend it? Many. A school is part of a community, thus implying that Mt. is part of our community. So if Mt. is part of my community I will try to defend it since it’s a part of me and of my community. This thus says that I will try to make Mt. the very best that I can.

If you guys would excuse me now, I have to go tutor some kids from Mt. now. They are my kids that I like a lot, and I will do anything to help them.

Including showing you guys that Mt is AWESOME!

147 Mick October 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM

@147; We don’t like what people say, true. But that’s because we believe our school is just like any other high school, and had first-hand experience of how amazing some of the teachers there really are. Everybody just seems to nitpick MDHS, when in fact, the school is fine the way it is. I promise you, the reputation at Mt. is a myth. I agree, we have the power to fix what YOU adults think is “dangerous,” but we think otherwise. Maybe you adults should be more open-minded to the fact that it is, afterall, a high school. There are fights, gangs, drugs and hatred at EVERY high school, not just MDHS. If you think there’s a problem with all of this, then maybe you need to step up and do something about it rather than telling others to.

@148; Maybe it was lunch time for the teachers, or their break period. As for the students, some of them are alumni’s, meaning they’re probably in college now or maybe it was lunch/brunch time for the students. Maybe they have a free period due to having more than enough credits. Maybe they’re a teacher’s aide and they’re all done helping the teacher and have a bit of free time. By the way, Mayor approves the comments, so there’s no say on when they would be posted.

148 :) October 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM

@megan mishell maus

And what kind of work are you seeking now that you have graduated high school my dear? Or are you planning on something in higher education?

I trust you will find something suitable to your expectations.

First impressions are the most important and they generally cannot be changed. Everything you do tells others who and what you are. Be careful how you expose yourself in speech and in composition.

149 Disgusted and Unsurprised October 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Before the comments took some twists and turns, the original post was about how MDHS teachers feel unsafe because of a lack of disciplinary actions taken by administrators. Judging from the comments, Principal Kate McClatchy must be pleased that she’s succeeded in doing what she failed to do while at Olympic before her questionable promotion: dividing staff and students into factions of loyalists and non-conformists (meaning anyone who challenges or disagrees with her, who then suffer her wrath).

For context, when McClatchy was principal at Olympic, she annually fired vice principals as well as non-permanent teachers during her reign of terror. Meanwhile, students were free to do whatever they wanted – unless an incident directly involved her (in such cases, she tried to expel students but messed up the paperwork and then blamed a VP for it). After a devastating no-confidence vote by the Olympic and the Alliance program faculty (only two teachers had any confidence in McClatchy’s ability to do her job in a professional and legal manner), which was acknowledged as known by higher-level administrators, including Mildred Brown, McClatchy was inexplicably promoted to become principal at MDHS.

Now Mount has the same issues as Olympic did, with the same lack of curiosity and non-response of the district. Referrals disappear (look, no referrals!), no disciplinary situations are entered into the online discipline tracker (look, no fights!), preferential treatment is given to certain types of students, constant fights, and students are running the school – into the ground. Non-permanent teachers are being fired and administrators are being pushed out.

Meanwhile, McClatchy continues spewing her Marxist politics (ask her if she’s a Communist – she won’t deny it) – unfortunately, the Communist leader she seems to model her administrative style after is Joe Stalin. Even worse, McClatchy’s politics are layered on some sort of mental health challenge (the Alliance staff, mental health professionals, suspected it to be Asperger’s combined with a total lack of self-awareness).

As long as Comrade McClatchy is allowed to rule MDHS with her iron fists, the school and the surrounding community will continue to suffer. The sooner McClatchy’s illegal misdeeds are addressed and she is finally dismissed from her position and the district, the better it will be for all who are affected by the current mismanagement. The MDHS students and staff deserve better – and hopefully they will see regime change very soon.

150 Nicole October 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I go to Mt, and yes it isn’t the best school around and I would know because this is my first year at Mt. I live and was basicly raised in Bay Point. Yup, there are tons of “ghetto” people and gangs, but so are there in Concord…And Pittsburg, And Antioch. There is bad people every where. So all of you who are blaming all the problems at Mt on Bay Point students, you guys are wrong because that isn’t completely true. I am a good student and I don’t misbehave at all, and I can count more kids from Bay POint that do behave than I can count the ones who misbehave

151 MD Student October 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I am a current MD student and am very proud! all of you people that are hating on MT need to get a life and not just listen to the rumors of MT being a bad school!!! actually, kids who go to schools like MT have a better diversity of being around people from all cultures and backgrounds, unlike other schools full of racist immature kids who will not be ready for the real life(: thank you very much

152 Another MDHS Teacher October 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Well said Disgusted and Unsurprised!!

Many of us see the change. Meanwhile we are all scared to open our mouths or complain due to the politics surrounding this woman. Union and District are OFF-LIMITS!

No disrespect to the students that have posted here, but the original question involved teacher safety, not the quality of the school. I admit the school has many positives, but FAR MORE issues that need to be fixed.

I have said this previously, the school hasn’t carried a bad reputation for well over a decade for no reason.

153 @Disgusted and Unsurprised October 5, 2011 at 5:40 AM

@ Disgusted and Unsurprised,

Well said and spot on! Why were two well respected administrators at MDHS pushed out by Kate McClatchey? Why are the kids who commit violence on campus not punished? Why is there not a zero tolerance on school violence and gang issues?

Why was Kate McClatchey promoted to her position as principal at MDHS after a vote of no confidence by MOST teachers at Olympic HS? There is some serious incompetence going on at the district offices!

Meanwhile, our teachers, kids and Concord community is suffering!

Why is the district not listening to these pleas for help? Concord City Council, are you listening?

154 Andrew H October 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM

To Cherie Adcock

MDHS is the worst school in the district. The gang problems at the school is just one of many problems with the school. I am a student at Northgate HS. Not one student has brought a gun to school, and the first fight i’ve seen in my 3 years there occured today. We don’t have police officers assigned to our school. MDHS is a problem. Like someone else said, the property is on prime real estate, which could be sold for millions to help other schools that get higher test scores. That alone is a good reason to close it, not including gang problems, violence problems, and low test scores.

155 Lorie Johnson October 5, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I was directed to this article by my students who are deeply offended by it. I am a teacher at Mount Diablo High School. I love my job. Just for the record, I am not afraid of my students. Anytime this website mentions Mount Diablo High School, it is bashing it. I wish that those of you who work for this website would come visit my classroom. If you came to my classroom, you would meet over one hundred wonderful students who are engaged in their learning and are aspiring toward very bright futures. We absolutely have our challenges at Mount Diablo High School (as does every high school in California right now), but we also have successes. Why don’t you write an article about the increases in our STAR tests? Please keep in mind that students are following this story, and that the words of many adults are very hurtful to the kids.
Lorie Johnson
History Teacher
Mount Diablo High School
Go Red Devils!

156 TYP October 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM

@Andrew H

Your lack of intelligence and lack of research shows;it’s been years since anyone was found with an armed weapon at school, let alone a student. Next time you should probably consider checking your facts before you look like a complete tool.

Furthermore, I would like to raise the point that although Mt. Diablo’s test scores are lower than the all so holy and esteemed Northgate, our test scores have been steadily increasing every year, and at a rate higher than any other high school in the district. In addition to this, having received my education at this horrible school, I find it interesting I have a higher command of the English language and grammar than you currently possess. This should not be the case, however, since clearly you come from the superior school and are therefore superior, right?

Your understanding of how the school system allocates money is also heavily flawed; the school system awards money based on test scores and also student population/attendance. If you were to eliminate one high school in the district what is most likely to happen is that all of these so-called “problem children” would be scattered to the various other school systems around the district. If anything, receiving a few of our truant and stupid classmates isn’t going to benefit you…

Oh, and before I forget: you can’t sell property that does not belong to you; if the school is ever shut down the land becomes property of the Galindo family/trust once again. Therefore, shutting down the school and selling it for that prime real-estate isn’t going to benefit the schools, Andrew H.

I love how you try to argue your point with a vague understanding of how everything works; it reflects the majority of you twits who go to Northgate. Your willingness to cut the lowest school in the district also displays the elitist attitude the majority of you possess. While I’m sure that everything I say will go in one ear and out the other, I couldn’t but analytically demonstrate how you are an idiot. Anyways, ciao! ^_^

157 Realia October 6, 2011 at 5:56 AM

@159: A History teacher? More like a revisionist history teacher. You’re likely either a Probationary teacher, up for evaluation this year, or a brainwashed follower of Dear Leader. Just keep drinking Kate’s Kool-Aid.

158 In Agreement October 6, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Exactly, @ @Disgusted and Unsurprised. McClatchy shook the administrative tree (probably because they were actually trying to do their jobs) and Olympic got one of the apples. And considering what Mildred Browne has dumped on Olympic as her choice as a new principal, that school needs all the support it can get.

159 Observing this mess October 6, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Wow, Disgusted and Unsurprised 152. Maybe you’re the one with mental health challenges. Joseph Stalin? Marxism? Asperger? Clearly you are the one unable to control your emotions and are venturing off into the land of unreality. I’m glad you don’t teach at my child’s school. You are a terrible example for our children. Get a grip. Gross exageration and name-calling aren’t going to get you anywhere. You’re lucky you don’t work for me. I’d have a problem with you, too. Speaking of socialism, you have a government job and a union contract that makes it impossible to fire no matter how lousy you are at your job or how disrepectful you are to your supervisors . Pot calling the kettle black?

160 FAVIO B WOLF October 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM

hi evrybody im favio and i go here to mount diablo high school, i like marie and i think u guys are rude for tha comments mount is a good school

161 Kerry hansing October 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM

!64 messages-Let me summarize what I feel I read! Adults who work at Mt. are afraid, Students who attend Mt. Defend it, Concord Community members think BayPoint is a ghetto, Older people who call themselves adults think parents are responsible (oops irresponsible) for their children’s behavior/ill behavior (there is no spell check for what I write in this box),

I have worked at Mt. Diablo High School for the last 31 years. I retired in 2004 and come back every fall to do a statewide testing of our second language learners. I want to say that this years students are writing at a higher level than ever before.

The dedication of the ELL teachers is evident in their students ability to read, write, speak, and listen to English. Those students who are not achieving at the rate we would like to see are unable to get their homework done as they are working long hours to support their families.

I did not retire because I was afraid, I have never been afraid of the students at Mt. Diablo and I am still not afraid at 65 years of age. I smile a lot at school. I love those kids that you are afraid of-they are real people and want someone to listen to them.

Some of you on this blog weren’t listening to the students who were defending their school. I can’t help but feel sad for them that they feel they have to defend their high school.

Today while out pulling kids from class to come to the library for testing I stopped two students out in the hallway during classtime. “Where are you supposed to be?”

The young man pointed to the nearest classroom door and said, “I’ve got a problem and we are talking about it.”

I asked the young lady where she was supposed to be and she said, In class down the hall.”

“You should be in class then”, was my response.

The young man said to me, “She is my cousin and I need to talk to someone, my father is in prison and I have a problem and who am I supposed to talk to if I can’t talk to family?”

I put my hand on his shoulder and said, “You are right.” I left them talking in the hallway. They are children dealing with grown up issues. How can you go to class and learn if you are dealing with such things with no one to talk to? What a burden those two are sharing without the wisdom of age. He apologized to me saying, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to be disrespectful.” Are you kidding me? He was hurting and he apologized to me! There was no way I was sending those two back to class. They would go when they were darn good and ready.

I worked at one time in the bookroom and the library. I signed forms to check students out of Mt. to private schools because they were being expelled. You really think those private schools are safer? Expulsion hearings cover a multitude of behavior violations and every school and district has them. A student who is angry and wants to find trouble can even at Northgate. If they can’t find it they create it.

The person who said they should close Mt. instead of Glenbrook and Holbrook??? Where did those students matriculate to their 9th grade year? OH, MDHS! Right!

Eleven years ago I moved to West Pittsburg/Bay Point. Mt. Students are my neighbors. They have parents, they have chores, they have expectations, they like music, they like movies, they eat better than the kids who live on fast food and who says their parents don’t care? The question is do they have time to act on how much they care? They would love for their children to go to school in their own neighborhood and not be bused over the hill. It’s eight miles away from home. Have you looked at the “Student Parking Lot”? Every year there are fewer cars in that lot.

Cherie Adcock-You tell them all! Those students are your heart and soul and they need you. Once a Red Devil Always a Red Devil.

If Mt. Diablo was so bad why would graduates come back to teach at Mt? A Valedictorian and National Merit Winner both came back to teach and there are others here. The staff I worked with is almost gone they have all retired or moved on to get paid benefits for their families in other districts. They have been replaced by familiar faces-former graduates.

All of you who are criticizing the MDUSD Administration and MT’s I have a question for you. Do you always agree with your boss? I didn’t but I never did anything to get in the way of their doing their job. I didn’t bash them behind their backs. If I had a problem I wrote it down and then sent it to them and only then did I make an appointment to discuss it bringing a copy of what I previously sent them. I wrote 9 referrals in 24 years.

I managed my own discipline, I met students with a smile and a welcome as they entered my room and I listened. I also had expectations regardless of their ability to learn. Not everyone is capable of learning to spell, read, write or sit for long periods of time.

A team of three-four of us have tested almost 400 students in the last three and a half weeks. We have had nothing but cooperation from the teachers, students, and staff members.

Remember budget cuts are real in the schools. The clerical staff, custodial staff, and classroom assitants have had their hours cut drastically over the past few years. If you want to discipline a student the paperwork is monumental to meet all the standards protecting students rights. Staff members are protected by the negotiated rules of their unions. I have seen teachers, clerical, custodial, and administraters lose their jobs at Mt. because someone was willing to take the steps necessary to relieve them of their jobs. So don’t blame the union for Mt.’s perceived problems.

I think the lady who is worried about being raped needs to see a professional. She also needs to request reasignment to another school with the district because of her fears. She should notify her union as well and have them work on it. the writer who said it was affecting her performance in the classroom with her students was absolutely right.

If the Northgate student were to think about closing Mt. and the impact on his school that would bring he might want to change his mind. We in Bay Point and West Pittsburg have a direct route to Northgate over Bailey Road. That would be the closest school. Concord high is full and would have to absorb the Concord students. Is that what you really want?

Go Red Devils……The Summit is Our Goal

162 @165 October 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Hat’s off to you. One of the earlier posts had a very valid point. There are students reading these blogs. Please be respectful when posting. #165 sounds like a wonderful person, the type of teacher that students will remember with love and appreciation their entire lives. We need MORE teachers like this – intelligent and compassionate – who genuinely care about their students.

As for the posters who blame behavior on the parents, sometimes it IS the parents’ fault, sometimes not. You can have two great parents and their child may get involved with the wrong peers, experiment with drugs, etc. You can have awful parents and their child may go on to succeed (in order to get as far away from that environment as possible).

As for the bigots, shame on you. Please check the latest DNA research. We ALL originated from the same person (Africa – Lucy). We are the SAME – human beings.

163 stereotyped October 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM

completely shocked by the comments being left here. The majority of remarks being left are blaming students who live from bay point and Pittsburgh. I spent my high school years living at bay point and attending mount diablo. a school i love. The teachers and peers i met inspired me to become the young man i am now. Am i a hoodlum selling drugs and robbing people. No. I am proud of where i came from and the people who helped shape me. Negative influences come from discouraging outside forces such as parents who have unruly children and blame their classmates instead of their parenting skills. I pity you and your single sighted attitude.