Lighting strikes in Claycord cause fires in Walnut Creek & Clayton

September 9, 2011 20:54 pm · 27 comments

Several fires have started due to the multiple lightning strikes in Claycord tonight.

One is near Old Borges Ranch in Walnut Creek, and the other two are off Morgan Territory. One is said to be a shed on fire, and the other is a vegetation fire.

Crews from CalFIRE & ConFIRE are on scene trying to get access to the fires.

We also have a report of a fire on Mt. Diablo, but so far, that hasn’t been confirmed.

We’ll keep you updated when we hear more.

UPDATE, 10:31pm: Crews got a quick handle on these two fires, and they are under control right now.

1 V September 9, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I was thinking that we’d probably be getting some fires from this dry lightning. Supposed to be like this through the weekend, according to weather.com

2 me September 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I live in Redwood city and I keep seeing what looks like lightning and now am hearing thunder. WTH is going on!

3 Beavis September 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM

FIREEEE!!! FIREEE!!! FIREEEE!!!!!

4 Big boys September 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM

It is certainly warm enough to see some thunderstorms. I missed the disapating stage of the t-storm, I always enjoy the rain.

5 Walnut Creekian September 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Saw some spectacular fork lightning just south of Mt. Diablo about half an hour/40 some mins. ago. Then, 10 minutes later, fire truck going by. There was a tiny bit of scattered rain, too (not much). It’s STICKY out there too!

6 Al Nonymous September 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM

@me–WTH is going on? Seasonal subtropical weather system, who’s moisture has mostly fallen away, though still producing lightning. The lightning strikes the ground, and because of the dryness of the vegetation, it ignites and burns. Happens every year around this time, but sometimes there’s sufficient moisture in the weather system to extinguish the lightning stikes.
Does that help?

7 Lari September 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Husband just called, as he is on 24 and saw a pretty good sized fire from the lightning. So, I knew Claycord would already have the news….

8 jen September 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM
9 Walnut Creek September 9, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Fire off Northgate Rd.on the lower portion of Mt. Diablo. Lots of fire trucks. Large fire coming up and over the hill.

10 former concord momma September 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Over the hill in Pittsburg the lightening was unreal. My husband and I worry about fires on kirker pass and other fires in Claycord. Praying for our fire fighters to stay safe.

11 just me September 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Sounds like the Mt Diablo fire is off Northgate Rd, just went to a 2nd alarm for ConFire. SRV is also working a 2 alarm fire in the Danville area. Cal Fire is moving engines and crews around to where lighting is being seen. There are 2 fires off Morgan Territory one of which is in SRV area and they haven’t really been able to reach. Currently working the fire(s) if I followed correctly Con Fire, East CoCo Fire, Moraga Orinda, SRV, OES, EBRPD, and Cal Fire engines from SCU (local) and also coming in from LNU (Lake Napa).

They are also asking people to stay away from the Northgate/Walnut area…..WCPD is being asked to respond.

12 CVHSMom September 9, 2011 at 9:15 PM

About 90 minutes ago, heard fire trucks going out toward the morgan territory/marsh creek area, then about 10 minutes ago a bunch coming out. They canceled the CVHS varsity game (postponed) for safety reasons befor 8pm. The lightening in Clayton was spectacular. Quiet now. No sirens. No thunder or lightening for a while. No smoke that I can see or smell at this time.

13 Radar September 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM

There is a grass fire on Leon Way Battalion 2 and 5 are on scene

14 Irv Ford September 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I live on the west side of WC (off Pleasant Hill Rd) and can tell you that the Mountain IS on fire…for what its worth I am “confirming” that there is a fire on the Mountain

15 just me September 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Cal Fire is sending at least 1 strike team that I have heard, they are using Station 16/Sunshine is the staging area until they dispatch them out. I haven’t heard if the strike teams are responding in code 3 or not.

16 Anon September 9, 2011 at 9:35 PM

We live in the Northgate area of WC. Heard a lot of sirens starting around 8:30…just walked out to take a look and we see a huge fire on the lower part of Mt. Diablo. You’ve got to worry about the houses over there, plus Boundry Oaks.

17 john doe September 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Someone please tell the idiot lookie loos to stop driving in the area of northgate rd and slowing traffic and response time of fire personnel because they want to get a look at the fire

18 bleh September 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM
19 just me September 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Cal Fire just said they have more strike teams due in the AM, they also will be putting aircraft up early to fly over the entire area.Cal Fire is also moving all strike teams to Sunshine 16/Sunol 14.

They also just requsted the CHP fly over and see if they see any hot spots.

20 worried September 9, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Hoping that Ranger Dan and all the critters at Borges are safe–please keep us posted!

21 julie September 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Does anyone know where the 2 fires on Morgan Territory are located? My parents live out there and are debating on whether to evacuate or not.

22 CLAYCORD.com September 9, 2011 at 10:32 PM

One was near Leon Way and the other was on Morgan Territory, near Livermore. As of right now, those are the only two I’ve heard of on Morgan Territory.

23 Radar September 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I got some photos of the fire near Leon, couldn’t get too close tho. Just sent a couple to the Mayor.

24 bolt September 10, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I was playing an extremely friendley game of football when the storm appeard. the lightning was as extreme as I’ve ever seen!

25 Anon September 10, 2011 at 8:36 AM

#18…..COOL picture. Thanks for sharing.

26 Polarbearmarket September 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I’m hearing there is a 5 acre fire out near Round Valley Regional Park east of Mt. Diablo. Saw 5-6 fire trucks going out Marsh Creek Rd. about a half hour ago.

27 christine September 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Wow, what a night!!! I was taking care of a friends ranch out on Morgan Territory seeing all the fire trucks going out, and then a woman drives into the ranch her car filled with her children and animals, She tells me the fire is right on the ridge behind us,! I could not see it or smell it yet. She tells me let the chickens out and be sure all ur horses have a way to get out. She then took off, why did she stop by this house?? my gate was closed and there are other houses there too, ! I was like on my God!!!! Pretty scary when u are up there alone. My family and a good friend came by and we prepared to evacuate if needed, luckily the fire never made it over the ridge!!! Thank God for the fireman :). That woman whoever she was scared me to death!!!!