UPDATE x3: Fire burning on the lower portion of Mt. Diablo, off Northgate Road

September 9, 2011 21:13 pm · 36 comments

A fire, which is currently about 60 acres in size, is burining on the lower portion of Mt. Diablo, off Northgate Road.

The blaze is currently two-alarms, and crews from both CalFIRE & ConFIRE are on scene.

If you want to go look at the fire, please don’t. Several more fire crews are headed to the scene, and they need all the space on the road, so please stay back.

We will keep you updated, so stay tuned to Claycord.com.

Thanks to Dave for the photo on the top, and Kimberly for the photo on the bottom! Your pictures are very much appreciated.

UPDATE, 9:48pm: Fire crews are getting a handle on the blaze on Diablo.

UPDATE, 10:29pm: We just talked to a source at CalFIRE, they say the blaze is now about 80% contained, which is VERY good news. If all goes as planned, the fire should be out in the next couple of hours.

UPDATE, 12am: The fire is now completely out.

1 Sinn Feiner September 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I was on the phone with my buddy Bill who was at work over at Bollman Reservoir at the Water District and he saw the bolt of lightning hit the hill as we were talking! I went up to the N. Concord Bart Station to check it out and it looked like it was spreading fast. My buddy said the flames went up in just seconds!

2 any homes September 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Are there any homes in the way???

3 WalnutCreekian September 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I think they must be getting a handle on it. Earlier I could see the red glow of the fire from my backyard off Walnut Avenue near Northgate HS. Just went and looked again: no longer a red glow.

4 ConcordMom September 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM

My husband is a firefighter for CALFIRE. Please pray safety and speedy control of all 6 fires in CoCo and Alameda Co.

5 Sinn Feiner September 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM

This is Texas weather! I used to live north of Houston in the early 90’s and thunder and lightning was very common. Only happens once in a blue moon out here it seems like.

6 anon September 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

ConcordMom, prayers for their safety are being said. They are truly heros. I can’t even fathom being out there in the dark, let alone daylight. I hope he comes home safely and very soon.

7 Franky September 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Happened on August 1, 1977 and the whole mountain went up when lightning struck above Mitchell Canyon; lasted for 5 days; Mt. Diablo Elementary School was the staging area….looked like that scene from Gone With the Wind where all the Confederate soldiers were laid out, dead & wounded.

8 ConcordMom September 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Thank you! They are getting a hold of the fire from what hear from the scanner. Many of the firefighters have families and half a dozen have young children under 1 year. Please keep not only the firefighters but their families in your prayers , it takes a strong woman and child to be this lifestyle.

9 Yep September 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Both of those photos are on nbc right now.

10 GG September 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Prayers for safety from one Firefighter family to another.

11 julie September 9, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Does anyone know where the 2 fires on Morgan Territory are located? My parents live out there and are debating on whether to evacuate or not.

12 anonymous September 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Franky #7
I remember the fire in 1977. Mt. Diablo looked like a smouldering volcano at night.

13 Marc September 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I took this photo at 9pm and thought I would share it. This it right by Borges ranch walnut creek. http://marc-jones.net/post/10023834968/ring-of-fire-on-mt-diablo-walnut-creek

14 @julie - under control September 9, 2011 at 10:56 PM

The article below this article on claycord.com has an update on it saying the 2 Morgan Territory fires are under control

15 p.s. @ julie - locations September 9, 2011 at 11:10 PM

“A 1-acre fire that broke out about 8:15 p.m. on Leon Drive southeast of Clayton was contained at 10:15 p.m. Another blaze was still burning in the Morgan Territory Road area.” (CC TIMES)

16 MT Road Resident September 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Julie, I think everyone is ok as far as Morgan Territory fires. We live off of MT Road and are watching the fires and crews. One on Leon Drive and the other on the hill across Oak Hill Lane. I don’t think anyone has to evacuate. If they are worried, have them call CDF. I called last year during the Curry Canyon fire and they told me they would let me know if I had to go. They always encourage you to be ready at all times, just in case, but I felt much better after I talked to them. Thank you to our fire crews!

17 GoGo Gomez September 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Contra Costa Fire on Twitter says fire on Mt. Diablo near North Gate Road 60 acres – all ConFire units released – fire is 100% contained.
27 min ago

18 Sue September 9, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Watching the trucks go by my house heading home, thank you ladies and gents, mission accomplished!

19 Jill September 9, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I live on Northgate Rd. I watched about 20 fire trucks head up the mountain. A big thank you to them. A big thank you to all of you who offered to come help evacuate if needed. For all of you who just came to look, I don’t think you understand that if we had to evacuate horses on Northgate, the lookie loos would have prevented us from getting our animals out. Please do not come up just to look. The fire crews were getting frustrated too.

20 This Guy September 10, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Fire was 33 acres its done 100% at around 1145…concord mom where’s you hubby Calfire @?

21 US_DOJ_Gov September 10, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Now that the fire is out…..

How many acres -total- were burned on Mt. Diablo ??

22 MDHS80 September 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM

This reminds me of when Mt. Diablo was on fire, about the same time, in 1978. We had this type of weather and the fire was caused by lightning. The picture of the mountain on fire was the cover of Mt. Diablo High 1979 yearbook.

23 Thank you for the updates! September 10, 2011 at 8:02 AM

As one who lives next to the park, I particularly appreciate being able to rely on Claycord and its readers for updates! Without it, I would have felt I needed to stay awake all night to keep watch!

24 Anon September 10, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I had never heard about the 1977 fire before. I googles it, and it looks like Mr Mayor wrote about it some time ago, but I couldn’t access the page. Mr Mayor, maybe you could repost it for those of us who are interested?

25 mnm September 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM

@ Jill Your so right People dont understand that they can make thing way worse Northgate is a small road. As soon as My friend and I heard about the fire we were preparing to help evacuate Northgate kennels his mom runs we would have needed lots of vehicles in and out of there to get all the doggies and kittys. Thank god everyone is safe!

26 just me September 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM

sounds like they are still working the first fire (6-1), they have an air attack currently taking place. Late last night they were asking the Cal Fire engines to stage at Round Valley Regional Park on Marsh Creek. Here is a bit of an update from Cal Fire http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=584.

Luckily Cal Fire had prepared for this a fe days ago and staffed extra engines and staffed all their camp crews. We only need to remember 2008 when there were lighting strikes throughout Nor Cal and crews from all over the US and 3 other countries were brought in to help.

27 Ladymar September 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Mr. Mayor, Just wanted to say thank you for this website. When I want current information – this is where I come. You provide a great service to the community. Bless you!

28 c September 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM

i saw the whole thing from a distance! the lightning and then the small red glow turning into flames. it was an awesome natural spectical.!!

29 Sue September 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Fire in Round Valley now, 10 AM. Helicopters dropping water and planes spreading retardant.

30 CLAYCORD.com September 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM

31 Krisitne September 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Where is Round Valley? I want to guess Alamo but not sure.

32 Kristine September 10, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Nevermind went to the homepage and you already have the info. You are the best Mayor.

33 Radar September 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM

The fire on Mt D. was amazing and burned for days. I would sit on the roof of my parents house and use binoculars to watch the progress. If I can find pics I will send some to the Mayor.

34 Northgate res September 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Saw a bulldozer being taken off a big truck. WC pd said it was con fire and we watched as the man was driving on the side of the hill putting the fire out, amazing. That tractor was a blast to watch but how dangerous is that? We were at the fence and the man did everything himself and when he came back about 1 he was alone. I brought him water and thanked him. He was from station 6 in concord. Thanks again.

35 Wills September 12, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Did anyone see or year about the knock down, drag out fight between 2 women last night at Foodmaxx ?

36 Wills September 12, 2011 at 6:41 AM