Claycord Online Museum: The Wells Fargo on Clayton & Thornwood – 1969

August 25, 2011 · 18 comments

The Claycord Online Museum is growing, and our latest addition is a great one!

Jules Voerge is a longtime Concord resident & former Branch Manager of the Wells Fargo Bank on Clayton Road & Thornwood, he sent us 18 photos of the opening weekend ceremonies in 1969!

Jules also sent us the following message about the festivities….

We had an open house on Saturday September 6,1969 and opened for business on the following Monday.  The crowd was way beyond our expectation but it wasn’t the food, we brought in the Wells Fargo Stagecoach to give guests and the little ones a ride around the Dianda Plaza parking lot.  A huge attraction and success.

Thanks so much for this wonderful look back to 1969!

Was anybody there that day, and if so, do you remember the event?

Click on each photo for a much larger view!

If you have any old photos or items that you’d like to place in the Claycord Online Museum, just scan or take a photo of them, and send them to the following address: mayorofclaycord@yahoo.com. It doesn’t matter what it is, even if it’s just an old photo of your house, a scan of an old advertisement or an artifact that you’d like us to see, send it in and we’ll put it online!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

1 Chia August 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Great pictures! Thank you for posting.

Can I make a suggestion? Make it so there is an arrow so you can look at all the pictures at once (like a slide show). Clicking, then hitting back, etc. gets old fast.

Thanks for such a great page!

2 warbirds45 August 25, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Mr. Mayor, you rock. We love the ” Good Old Days” articles you do. I like the picture of all the Big Gas Guzzlers, and the little Volkswagen. How times, and gas prices have changed!
Thank You Mayor! Great Job

3 Lori August 25, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Thanks for sharing Jules

4 Skippy August 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I love the banana seat bikes the kids are riding. I was 8 in 1969 and got one of those for my birthday that year. I loved that bike and those high handle bars! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

5 Shak Li Batahat August 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Great to look back in time. I loved looking at the people. They guy with the shorts and black socks caught my eye. I was glad to see some styles never change.

The way people looked then is so different than today. No one looked like a prostitute or a thug of some sort. I would not be afraid to walk in that crowd. A walk through any store in Claycord and you’ll see people with no self respect.

There is a bug difference between casual and hooker or thug.

6 Skippy August 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Forgot to mention that a couple of years later, 1971 or 1972, my mom took me down to that WF branch to open my first bank account. I had all of $10 in my savings account and was so proud of my bank book. That is still my bank branch all these years later, so Jules, you must have done something right!

7 YellowLab lover August 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

It’s so funny to see a Bank with out any ATM’s outside of it. I love looking at old pictures thanks for posting them.

8 Jojo Potato August 25, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I worked for Wells in the late 90’s. I completely understand the attraction of the stage coach. When I went to bank at the HQ on Montgomery Street in the City it was right there. Also some other historical things to see. I believe this mini museum is still right there in the lobby. Maybe it’s just me but I think it’s good to see some familiar things still around.

9 Cuppa Coffee August 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Just look at those bouffant hair styles on the female tellers!

10 Jason August 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM

OK, I am officially bored.
I love history but this nondescript building is just not doing it for me.

11 Mad Mom August 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I love a good trip in a time machine. Those photos are so cool. The cars…the clothes….the hair! Everything!
Thanks Mayor!

12 anon August 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Thank you for the photos! What fun to see them. I looked at the one close-up of the ribbon cutting and only recognized Warren Bogges. Who were the other officials? Sorry, couldn’t read the lapel name tags.

13 Chester E. August 25, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I, too, was 8 in 1969 and also got a Hot Pink banana seat String Ray bike with a really tall sissy bar, I love these pictures … it’s so fun to see the crowds of people. I lived in Concord then but don’t think my family was there. I love seeing the clothes, hair, etc. FUN!!!!

14 warbirds45 August 26, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Have a great weekend! The 5th picture, with all the folks standing in line, if you highlight the picture, Hudson gas station 30 and 32 cents a gallon!
Wow 30 cents to 3.60 a gallon!

15 Newman August 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I was 8 in 1969. Those pics bring back memories, especially the Sting Ray bikes. Good times!

16 MO August 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I was with Wells Fargo……in a strip mall type area…Bank, HSalt Fish in the corner…if you passed the strip mall Dow Chemical Labs were next door…sorta….like: mid 60s.

I believe the address was Walnut Creek.

Wonder what road that was on………..my first husband worked as a lab as a metalurgist at DOW then…………anyone from there still alive?

17 mortimer August 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM

How about these names of people who worked for Wells Fargo Bank in Concord…Dave Crane….Gerry Spyrow…Dorothy Laube….Marie Mcgovern…Peggy Hawkins…Sue Burkhardt…Ray Manzon….John Balzarini…Adele Assinelli…George Brigham….Jim Steers…Francis DeMecurio…Carolyn Mierzwik…Becky McCabe….Viginia Bartolomi….Ruth Sancan…..Mike Billechi…Frank Clukus…pretty good huh!!!!

18 jbelkin August 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM