Suspected coin thief arrested at Northern California Indian casino

July 21, 2011 · 13 comments

The suspected Walnut Creek coin thief we reported on earlier this morning, has been arrested!

Authorities say they arrested Billy Vassiliou (pictured above) at the Cache Creek Indian Casino, which is about an hour & a half north of Contra Costa County.

He’s accused of stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of rare coins from a Walnut Creek coin shop earlier this year.

For the full story, please click ON THIS LINK.

1 jtkatec July 21, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I really hope he didn’t use those rare coins for gambling with. That would be one of the most ignorant things to do.

2 A Real High Class Guy..... July 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM

steals hundreds of thousands, and winds up at Cache Creek, wonder if he took the bus..?

3 Darwin July 21, 2011 at 3:02 PM

BUSTED!

4 Anon777 July 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Fry the douchebag!

5 Jay July 21, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I grew up down the street from him and his family. His father used to own The Savoy restraunt in Pleasant Hill and then at Boundary Oak in Walnut Creek. His father won a very large judgement against Walnut Creek for breach of contract that was well documented in the CC Times. He used to ride motorcycles professionally until a bad accident at Sears Point. I remember as a kid he always had a cool street bike around and he also had a couple of Corvettes. I remember he was the first in the area to have Honda Hurricane when it came out which was a big deal back in the day

He was always cool to me when I crossed his path as a kid.

I wouldn’t doubt that the victim is in on it for insurance scam.They probably had a falling out over it. I saw the guy in front of his home only a month or so ago. One would think if you did a job like that you wouldn’t be hanging around your house?

I bet more will come out on this case.

6 CATSMOM July 21, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Wonder if he thought he could put the coins in the slot machines??

7 Anon2you July 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM

My Dad used to love the Savoy, went there all the time. I really hope he did spend the rare coins gambling, back in circulation like a lottery. I love when I get a rare coin as change. “Let’s see your change is $0.85″, which includes a rare indian head nickel, oh yeah!

8 Shak Li Batahat July 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Good candidate for banishment.

9 biggin July 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

All the above is true ’bout him and his family, but remember kids, methamphetamine will rock you like a hurricane…

10 Jay July 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM

biggin,
You are also well informed just like a red and white hurricane with dealer plates. I left such speed information out for the imagination. He grew up with some wealth and a few free passes. But the empire has long, long crumbled.

FYI The Savoy was said to have the best steak Diane CCC during its time.

11 Anony July 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Jay…..Billy is a freaking crook. He has been running from the po po for years. True that he is a nice guy, other than stealing his victims property and causing fear and pain. That accident caused Billy to turn to meth or he was always a meth head. Anyway, don’t feel sorry for him. He knows that he is playing cops and robbers. Somethimes the good guys pick the bad guys off. Chalk one up for WCPD.

12 Mr. Anon E. Mouse July 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Great work on LE part! It’d be nice to think Claycord’s coverage could have something to do with his capture?
Can’t wait to see which criminal is featured next week.
Mr. Mayor, maybe have a new sidebar “Claycord’s Most Wanted”? :D

PS: OMG! how cute, that kitten over there (Giggles) —–>
LOOKS just like one of my kittens! Adoorable!!
If he is half as affectionate as Hebe, he’d make someone a good companion. Quick, someone adopt him NOW!

13 Ian July 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I’m still curious about the details of the jet ski incident…