UPDATE: Fire burning in Concord, homes threatened near Discovery Way

June 27, 2011 23:08 pm · 42 comments

It’s 11:08PM right now, and a vegetation fire is burning at the end of Discovery Way in Concord (off Pine Hollow Road).

The blaze has torched at least 500-600 feet of grass behind the homes near Crystyl Ranch Road & Discovery Way, according to ConFIRE.

Homes are being threatened, and structure protection is being set up.

UPDATE, 11:15pm: The fire is now a two-alarm fire, and once again, structure protection is currently being established.

UPDATE, 11:22pm: CalFIRE is now sending several resources.

Stay tuned to CLAYCORD.com, we’ll be here throughout the night to give updates, but hopefully it’ll be out soon!

UPDATE, 11:39pm: The fire is now under control, according to ConFIRE. All resources from CalFIRE have been canceled, and ConFIRE is the only agency handling the fire now. Good job, firefighters!

UPDATE, 11:51pm: The blaze was about two-acres, and it is now completely out. Several engines are being released from the scene of the blaze, which is considered suspicious.

Thanks to “Z-Man” for the two photos on the left, and “Reid” for the one on the right! Also, thanks to Charles for the one on top! You can click on either picture for a larger view.

{ 42 comments }

1 BSA June 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I live in the states and I sure smell the fire. I new thair was one close. Hope no homes are burned or peopel hurt.

2 Radar June 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Going there now

3 CLAYCORD.com June 27, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Thanks, Radar! You rock!

Mayor

4 Where do we listen? June 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM

There is approximately 2 miles of brush between there and Mitchell Canyon, where I am. I’d like to keep an ear on the status, if possible.

5 ricomann June 27, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I am on Heather Dr near Ayers/Clayton and I can hear them racing there as we speak… scary. Right now the most important thing is to fight the fire, later I hope they find how it got started….

6 Thanks guys June 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM

You guys are on it, local news has nothing on the fire. Go Claycord! Hope no one is hurt and no homes burn.

7 kristin June 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM

I live off of Rolling Woods (back entrance the CR). 4 fire trucks with lights no sirens have rushed up the hill to help in the past 5 min. It’s 11:35. I definitely smell the smoke and fire.

8 SK June 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Radar, you are a god. It’s too late for me; I’m going off to bed. Sure hope everything turns out okay, with no losses.

9 Just the Facts June 27, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I am glad that Station 22 got to the scene so quickly. Rapid FIre attack and ordering additional resources early are key in saving homes from an approaching vegitation fire. Con FIre Units were able to control the fire without additional resources.

10 Staging at Pine Hollow/Ygnacio June 27, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I’m listening now – they’ve been saying to stage at Pine Hollow and Ygnacio.

11 CLAYCORD.com June 27, 2011 at 11:41 PM

You’re very welcome. Remember, CLAYCORD.com IS local news :)

Appreciate the nice words. So far, we have no word on any injuries or homes being burned. The fire is now under control, and if all goes as planned, it’ll be completely out soon.

Thanks again, Mayor

12 kristin June 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM

5 fire trucks just came back down the hill. No more smoky smell. Fire must be contained or out… Thank you to the fire fighters, and you, Mr. Mayor.

13 Lari June 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I live near CVHS and was just outside getting the garbage rolled out and heard the trucks/sirens going by. It seemed so close. I told my husband I’d find out what was up by logging onto Claycord.com
Hope it’s contained quickly and no homes are damaged.

14 CLAYCORD.com June 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Thanks, Kristin. Yes, the fire is now under control. :) Great news, but only because of a quick response by firefighters.

Mayor

15 Thanks guys June 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Thank you to the firefighters for their good work and quick response.

16 Whew! June 27, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Could have easily ended up with an opposite result…saying my thank you prayers tonight.

17 Mr. Morengo June 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Just back to the crib. I sent some photos to the Mayor that were taken within several feet of the brush that was on fire. Fire was on the concrete trail on Rolling Woods Dr where the Crystyl Ranch sign is…. fire was behind the homes on Oakpoint Ct.

-Z

18 CLAYCORD.com June 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Thanks, Z-Man! Appreciate the photos! Thanks to Reid, too!

19 Funny Man June 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM

CVHS angels with illegal fireworks? Hmmm!

20 Gladys Kravitz June 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Great photo Reid ! I saw you and your dogs at the fire.

21 claytoncate June 28, 2011 at 12:08 AM

That’s the walking trail my daughter and I take – scary how close it was to homes. Looked like residents on Vista Point were on alert to evacuate.

Excellent job by the firefighters – they got in, got the job done quickly.

*** Nice meeting you, Radar *** You rock ***

22 Gladys Kravitz June 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM

It may have been started by the crystal ranch mob. It was an early fire. I heard they all have a midnight curfew.

23 Concernicus June 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM

@22: you mean the “mob” that’s barely out of its diapers?

i was thinking it mightve been troublemakers who’ve heard about the possible saturation of storms and wanted to hit the brush before it got wet.

24 Radar June 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Nice meeting you too Cate! I didnt get any decent pics but got stills thanks to Craig Cannon from his video camera.

25 An Armed Liberal June 28, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Anyone remember the protests against the Crystyl Ranch development? As I recall, the developers played fast and loose with the law, cutting down protected valley oak trees instead of building around them (there weren’t many, and while a valley oak needs an entire lot, they make great neighbors and increase property values.)

Well, every time I see it from the peak of Lime Ridge, I think “that is a horrible place to put houses. Talk about a fire trap.” Maybe it’s just being raised in a home on a highly flammable hillside in Concord, but any time I see a bunch of homes in a small valley like that something inside me just screams “BAD IDEA.”

Glad to see that nobody was hurt. Still… if you live there, it might be a good idea to clear the weeds out to 50 feet from your home. Even if it’s publicly owned open space, go out there with a weed whacker and clear any dry brush… sure, it’s probably the City’s responsibility, but are you going to wait for them? My old man never did.

26 The 4th Horseman June 28, 2011 at 6:05 AM

Sounds like those firefighters did a helluva job saving peoples’ homes.

Now that you don’t need them immediately lets join the media frenzy and show ‘em how much we care and rant about their pensions.

Ingrates.

27 NutCreek Frontier June 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM

So glad everyone on Discovery way is O.K, good work Fire Department. The good people on Discovery give back to the community every year with their amazing Christmas lights display. My local favorite, especially the Palm Beach Christmas house.

28 Lake June 28, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Mr Mayor – Seems like only yesterday a bunch of posters were bad mouthing the fire personnel. Great Job Fire Guys and Gals!!!

29 SK June 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM

@The 4th Horseman, You took the words right out of my mouth!

How about some of those people whose homes were saved speak up in appreciation of the firefighters? Think of what you could have lost. What’s that worth to you?

Just askin’…

30 DoReMi June 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Lake: No one was bad mouthing Fire Fighters. We said right now is a bad time for a raise. Get your facts straight buddy!

31 David Concord June 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I too wish to thank the dedicated men and women of the fire district. Most notably in the event the ConFire crew that arrived on the scene quickly and assessed the situation and took the necessary steps to safe guard lives and homes and extinguish the fire. Job well done….

It will be very interesting to hear what the cause of the fire was. Could it be the notorious Crystal Ranch Mob? Children with unlimited funds and no parents.

And I agree as well that it is an odd place for a housing project. I certainly hope the people heed that advice above and clear the brush around their homes. A little extra work today could very well save a home tomorrow. Or, “a stitch in time saves nine”. The old advice still works very well, we could all take a lesson from history.

32 C Lo June 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM

KTVU reported this morning that fireworks were heard in the area shortly before the fire started. I know for a fact that the house on Pine Hollow that looks like a sloppy castle (between Discovery and Rolling Woods) was setting off fireworks last night around 8pm. I know it’s probably unrelated but be careful out there and remember that it’s never a good idea to set off fireworks in brush. Duh.

33 Thank You Extension June 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Thank you firefighters. Thank you teachers. Thank you mail delivery persons. Thank you hamburger preparer. Thank you shoe shiner. Thank you custodian. Thank you grocery clerk. Thank you pilot. Thank you carpet shampooer. Thank you mechanic…..

34 Great job jumping right on it! June 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I was all prepared for a quick-spreading wildfire, and amazed at how quickly it was out! Great job!

35 oh please June 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

It sounds like some firefighters, their friends and family members need alot of attention.

36 DoReMi June 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Oh please” I have said as much twice and both times was sensored.

37 Concernicus June 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

@35: yeah, because what firefighters do isnt that remarkable. they, what, save a few homes, save a few lives? pfft, i could do that in my sleep, every time i leave the house i save homes and lives while risking my own. these people are just attention whores.

(sometimes i wonder if people can hear/read themselves when they speak/type.)

38 Jason June 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Crazy. I live on Discovery Way. Never seen a fire since my family moved in to the neighborhood back in 1988-1989.

39 DoReMi June 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM

No, Concernicus, #35 Was speaking of unions and their methods

40 The real mv June 28, 2011 at 9:30 PM

@ DoReMi & oh please, what private and big business are any better?

41 Never enough June 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

… Here we go again. Sigh.

Its never good enough.

Say thanks and move on.

42 DoReMi June 29, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Never enough: I wish you and others would quit bashing our wonderful firefighters. Seriously you need to get a new hobby or volunteer!