“Click It Or Ticket” in Contra Costa County, happening until June 5th!

May 24, 2011 8:57 am · 14 comments

Law Enforcement agencies across California, including most in Contra Costa County, are currently in the process of a “Click It Or Ticket” campaign to make sure everybody in a moving vehicle is wearing a seatbelt.

The campaign is happening until June 5th. The fines and fees for first time adult seat belt violations is a minimum of $142. For children under 16, the fine is $445 for a first time offense.

“Many nighttime traffic deaths can be prevented if more motorists simply start wearing their seat belts. Law enforcement throughout the area will be looking for seat belt violators, day and night,” said Martinez Police Chief Gary Peterson. “Citations will be issued without warning. It’s not just about avoiding a costly ticket; it’s about keeping the ones you care about alive. Remember to buckle up on every trip, day and night.”

The Martinez, Concord, Walnut Creek & Pleasant Hill Police Departments, along with the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff will all be participating in this mobilization.

{ 14 comments }

1 Ben Buchwalter May 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM

From what I’ve read in the past, Click it or Ticket campaigns have been very successful. I think a lot about safety while driving on highways and city streets, but sometimes the seat belt just slips my mind. Having a yearly campaign that reminds me about the importance of seat belt use is very helpful. Hopefully it will get others –drivers and passengers alike– to be better about wearing their seat belt, ass well.

2 anon May 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I’m not worried. Seat belt laws have been in force so long, it’s become natural to put on the seat belt. It’s like releasing the parking brake. I was in traffic court about a year ago, and some guy was cited for not wearing his seat belt correctly. No dice with the judge. If you’re not wearing it correctly, it’s the same as not wearing it. Improper usage doesn’t offer protection. Make sure you’re wearing your belt AND you’re wearing it correctly, folks.

3 mike mac May 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Many nightime deaths could be prevented if the you outlaw night driving and people meeting at public locations after dark. I suggest our gallent representative, Mark D, draft a law to protect all of us against ourselves.

4 Dragon May 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

My father consistently takes his seat belt off when he’s about two blocks from his house, at the same spot every time. He figures nothing will happen to him that close to home. Since he takes it off while driving up a hill and turning a corner, with another intersection to go and in a neighborhood with kids (in a stick shift car), I think he’s absolutely freaking nuts.

I’ve tried talking to him about it and how he’s putting others in danger, not just himself, but he’s too set in his ways. He insists he knows what he’s doing and he’ll never be surprised that close to home. Yeah, right. That close to home is where you stop paying attention, so accidents are likely to occur!!

(Don’t worry, guys, he lives in another state!)

5 Cowellian May 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM

When I was growing up, we didn’t even have seat belts. Then, when I started buying cars, they had seat belts but not shoulder belts. I always buckled up for the long trips.

Then, when I started being Dad, my kids never saw me in a car without a seat belt. Growing up, they never knew it was possible to go anywhere without wearing a seat belt.

6 Funny Man May 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM

This is Kalifornia after all: Outlaw cars and driving… problem solved!
We can all live in our high-density transit villages and take public transportation everywhere!

7 ChampagneKitty May 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I usually fasten mine before I even start the car

8 @Dragon May 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

What does your dad think he’s gaining by taking his seat belt off two blocks from home? Is he saving the 2 seconds it takes to remove it after pulling in the driveway? When driving at night, does he turn his headlights off two blocks away to save another second?

Oh and, “The cops should be out catching real criminals instead of seat belt violators” in 5…4…3…2…1…

9 Dragon May 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Anon #8 – yeah, that’s exactly it. He’s saving that 2 seconds.

I HATE IT. It’s wrong, it’s illegal, and it’s just plain unsafe. But I can’t get him to change. (I do make sure I drive as often as possible, if I’m visiting him.)

Thankfully, he doesn’t usually drive at night much, but he does keep the headlights on all the time if he does.

Frankly, I wish he’d get ticketed for it. Better to have a wake-up call through his wallet than through hitting someone, or hitting some*thing* and being injured when a seatbelt could have saved him.

10 Pegasus May 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I NEVER drive without being belted including my passengers.
Seat belt laws are nothing more than another revenue source for government bureaucrats. They spout all the eloquent BS about deaths, injuries and medical costs to convince us that they know what’s best for us because you’re incompetent and incapable of making wise decisions.
None of these “do gooder” seat belt Nazis gives a rats pitoot about my safety or yours. If they cared even a little bit, would the fines be as high as they are? It’s about the money, YOUR MONEY.

11 anon May 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM

“Seat belt laws are nothing more than another revenue source for government bureaucrats”

Sure they get money for the city…but many people (like crazy M/C riders) have no health insurance & we all pay for their hosiptal bill. Many of the drivers are too stupid to live, drive drunk & talk on their cells without knowing what they are doing. May they all leave the earth soon.

12 Sheet Belts May 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Who is getting hurt besides the person not wearing the seatbelt? I think they should be optional. Giving someone a ticket for a conscious decision that hurts no one else but themselves should be illegal. I love how we have built darwinism out of our society. Stupid actions should be met with like consequences.

13 Scoots May 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Seat belt laws, helmet laws………… how long will it be before cops begin to patrol the restrooms to make sure we wash our hands? Maybe I’ll get cited for running with scissors or get caught swimming less than 30 minutes after I eat!

Look out for officer Nanny!

14 JOHN HAYES May 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM

What ever happened to, “we won’t issue you a ticket for a seat belt violation unless we stop you for another reason”? Ha Ha gotcha. This is just another not so hidden tax.