Three hours in the handicap zone, and they didn’t even get a ticket

April 4, 2011 14:23 pm · 119 comments

Sometime within the past few days, this van, which didn’t have any handicap plates or signs, was parked in this handicap spot for close to 3-hours, and it never even got a ticket.

It was parked in front of CVS Long’s in the Clayton Valley Shopping Center, and it belonged to the janitors who were inside. They parked there at about 6pm, and didn’t leave until close to 9pm, according to an anonymous source. A CVS Long’s employee was alerted, but acted like it wasn’t a big deal and didn’t do anything about it.

And, not only were they illegally parked in the handicap zone, but they were also partially in another handicap spot.

This happens a lot, I wish the cops would write more tickets for this type of violation, the city might be in better shape if we ticketed all the illegal parkers in handicap zones.

101 123 April 5, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Maybe they could turn the drive through pharmacy into just a drive through then do away with the handicap parking spaces. Just pull up and tell someone to got get what you want. Those that have the placard or are just to lazy to walk 50 feet to the stores entrance wouldn’t have to. I hate those people in the store anyway. They’re slow moving and slow minded.

102 Casey April 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM

To #84 (posting as “@the real MV”)

I do not know, nor do I even know Mother of Poo.

I had to read your comment three times due to its improper spelling and lack of periods, letting me know when a sentence ended. When you are ignorant enough to not use proper punctuation, I can’t take your comment seriously. Instead, I just laugh at you and realize that you have no idea as to what you are talking about.

Your comment: “but she’ll oviously not talking about an african american or another race for that matter “

– You still are the only one pointing a finger at what racial group you THINK Mother of Poo was referring to. Neither he/she nor I have mentioned a nationality here at all. You are just assuming Mother of Poo meant Hispanics.

“you are just as stupid when you say “but its illegal aliens that are breaking the law” you are ignorant”

– Illegal aliens ARE breaking the law. The moment they step onto U.S. soil, they become criminals. Just like the moment someone steps outside of a store with a stolen item in their pocket, they are breaking the law.

I’m done arguing with you and I know that I’m not going to change your mind. I just want you to know that by pointing out the race you ASSUME Mother of Poo was talking about makes you the ignorant one here.

103 So April 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

@Two biggest scams…

You forgot public employee pensions, but that topic belongs in the “Politics” thread.

104 JMZ April 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I agree with Casey and So….those were racial comments…obviously because they are illegal you are talking about african, mexican or any other race that is not white…just because they are illegal does not mean they are stupid…many of them do know the law…

105 JMZ April 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM

My bad…I DO NOT AGREE WITH CASEY…I agree with so and the real mv.

106 BearWithMS April 5, 2011 at 12:41 PM

@123 (post # 101) –

You either like to stir the pot on blogs like these or you are truly clueless about people who have legitimate disabilities. Do you really have such little respect and tolerance for those who walk slower than you? I wish I could walk faster like I once did. See, my disability (multiple sclerosis) makes it hard for me to walk, talk, eat and see. I’m fairly young, too, which bothers me. Most days I feel horrible, I have severe muscle spasms, pain and the vertigo (dizziness) never goes away. I also have numbness. All of these symptoms make me unstable on my feet, therefore I walk with a cane. I’m probably at the stage where I need to have a scooter, but I refuse to give up just yet. I would gladly give up my placard to be normal again. It’s a horrible disease and I hope you never have to experience what I go through day to day. Just remember that you could one day suffer from a disability. Lighten up and show some kindness!

107 anonymous April 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

As a matter of fact, you could look up people v Thallium (9th cir )and see , clearly, that the owner and his employees are exempt from parking violations on their own property.

There you have it. Debate over.

108 momof4teens April 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

wow, a lot of time spent arguing..
Sad how poeple treat each other these days.

If it’s breaking the law, they should be fined. Sometimes people don’t get caught, but it should be fined. I know that I speed and I don’t get caught all of the time. But I do agree when I have been caught in the past. It’s against the law, I knew it and I took the chance.

If everyone could just play by the rules, we wouldn’t have the problems we do, nor the nasty comments by “adults” that have been made.

109 BusBoy April 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM

legally the van IS in a handicap spot because the vehicle in encroaching on the neighboring handicap spot.

Now OpenEyes is VERY RIGHT on this… it IS NOT a handicapped parking spot. Take a peek and please all you complainers take it down a notch.

110 Concord Dave April 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Click on the first photo and you can see the BIG blue handicapped sign just in front of the front bumper!

111 Cowellian April 5, 2011 at 4:46 PM

The van’s wheel is on the blue handicap symbol painted on the pavement.

112 Atticus Thraxx April 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Testify momof4teens.

113 OpenEyes April 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

You are very right ConcordDave, I now see in the first photo that the van IS parked in the slot with a sign. I have focused on the other photo which was taken from the sidewalk and thought he was in the middle slot. Thank you for clarifying things.

114 Happy April 5, 2011 at 7:39 PM

The only budget getting help from more tickets issued is the State’s!!

115 P3 April 5, 2011 at 8:10 PM

@ 107

You spelled something wrong, or are completely wrong. Google searches for “people v Thallium” and a dozen similar phrases turned up nothing.

Post a link, or take a hike. Debate over.

116 Retired cop April 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Total BS

The City does not make all the money on these tickests or any other CVC citations. In fact when you factor in the time spent by a single officer and the city clerks to process the ticket it is close to a wash. Plus if the person takes it to court and its on the officers off day the City pays his OT, so the City actually is losing $$”

The city does make money from it, the Private company process the tickets -not city people, it is all by computer.No one takes it to court – it is civil & no OT for the cop – get the facts straight.

117 BusBoy April 6, 2011 at 7:37 AM

@ Concord Dave

Yep same here… Was looking at the wrong photo. Daves Right.

118 lorriestories April 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Who cares? Handicapped people always get the best parking spots as it is.

119 Babs April 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I have another handicap issue that happens all the time….at least in the Ladies Room (bathrooms)….normal stalls can be empty and sure enough someone uses the handicap stall…..so I sit outside it on my walker/w/seat waiting….and out walks a teenage girl….and I get Oh, sorry….so weird…I don’t get why can’t they use a regular stall…..Does this happen in the Men’s Room???????