Three hours in the handicap zone, and they didn’t even get a ticket

April 4, 2011 · 119 comments

Sometime within the past few days, this van, which didn’t have any handicap plates or signs, was parked in this handicap spot for close to 3-hours, and it never even got a ticket.

It was parked in front of CVS Long’s in the Clayton Valley Shopping Center, and it belonged to the janitors who were inside. They parked there at about 6pm, and didn’t leave until close to 9pm, according to an anonymous source. A CVS Long’s employee was alerted, but acted like it wasn’t a big deal and didn’t do anything about it.

And, not only were they illegally parked in the handicap zone, but they were also partially in another handicap spot.

This happens a lot, I wish the cops would write more tickets for this type of violation, the city might be in better shape if we ticketed all the illegal parkers in handicap zones.

1 Anon777 April 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM

This is one of my girlfriends biggest pet peeves. She will walk right up to someone and ask why they are parked there if they don’t appear handicapped. Aren’t these like $300+ per ticket. I don’t understand why the police won’t police this better and make some easy dough for the city.

2 Elle April 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Does this mean Long’s is coming back?? I hate CVS!

3 Ian April 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM

So really, how do you feel about CVS?

4 headache April 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM

If I parked there for one second, I would be towed.
Interesting how some people get away with it

5 Anonymous April 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Next time, don’t bother telling the CVS employee. Just call Dispatch and tell them. They may blow you off, but if an officer isn’t busy, s/he might just take the call anyway. Cops usually aren’t thrilled about writing these tickets ($313 each) but might do it if someone complains. If you see these violations during the day when there are traffic officers and/or volunteers working, they will be happy to write the ticket. However, keep in mind that a lot of handicapped people just leave their placard on the dashboard. They are supposed to hang it, but don’t always.

In this case, it looks like the janitors were just too lazy to walk, and should have gotten that ticket. If they did it this time, they’ll probably do it again.

6 Mother of poo April 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM

It’s probably because they are illegal aliens without a driver’s license and no knowledge of the laws. The police know that they won’t pay the ticket and the fees and expenses of the whole process just costs us too much money. Therefore.. no ticket. >)

7 Dang April 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I would prefer the cops don’t waste time on this and catch criminals. Just my opinion.

8 Hans April 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Even though I think the police are doing too many things that don’t matter, I’m sure there were other things that were more important than this.

9 BearWithMS April 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM

This has always been one of my pet peeves. I have MS and I have difficulty walking. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen this happen. Just last week an armored truck was blocking all of the handicap spots in front of Walgreens in Walnut Creek. It pissed me off, to say the least. I’ve also seen SUVs with mom and her four kids take up a handicap space at Rite-Aid in Pleasant HIll. No placard or license plate. There’s a reason those spots are designated. They are not for the able-bodied, lazy or baby mommas…sorry! I would trade my neurological disease any day with any of these people. Maybe then they would understand what people go through on a day to day basis.

10 outrages April 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM

This is outrages, this is a huge fine that cities should go after.. I see it all the time..That pass should only be used by whom it is registered too.. If you drop grandma off at the front door you as the driver can’t go and park in a handicap spot.. Give me a clip board and access to the information from DMV as to whom these placards are registered to.. I will take 10% of collected fines.. I will be rich and we could probably be out of debt as a city…NO MORE FAT PASSES…YOU NEED TO WALK at least till you walk in the door and then get a fat and lazy electric cart…

11 Agree with Dang April 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Was someone trying to get the spot? If so, then I would understand the ruckus, but if the were other spots available. Choose your battles people…and choose how your tax $ is spent..do you really want the limited funds that we have for our police going to give someone a ticket for parking in a wrong spot?

12 galdis gravitz lives April 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Really? The sun is shining, birds are singing and you choose to focus on this. Tsk, tsk, tsk…..

13 anon April 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM

It’s a Handicapped only spot. What part of that do you not understand?

14 Cowellian April 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Maybe they should have parked in the “Hybrid” parking spots in front of the Fresh & Easy.

15 Road King April 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM

just like those who u-turn illegally, just like those who text while driving, just like those who run lights etc., etc., etc. the laws only work if they are enforced.

16 Nan April 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM

They were wrong and should have been cited. Totally unacceptable response from the employee. Welcome to the real world when the people in the wrong get away with it, and the rest of us (law abiders) do the correct thing.

But, lets discuss CVS vs Longs. Maybe a topic for the Mayor to present for the water cooler ????
Is there anyone who thinks this is a better store?
I grew up with the Long family in Alamo in the 60s and I think they would be shocked at the county-wide reaction to their deal. Or….maybe it was “just business” ! I do not go there anymore.

17 NiteMom April 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM

could it be because its a private parking lot and they cant really do anything about it? just asking. I saw the same thing at the laundromat this weekend, pissed me off!

18 @ Anon777 April 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM

“This is one of my girlfriends biggest pet peeves. She will walk right up to someone and ask why they are parked there if they don’t appear handicapped.”

Is your girlfriend a doctor? I physical therapist with telekenitic powers? Does she have x-ray vision? What gives her the right to judge if someone appears handicapped?

I have muscular dystrophy and don’t “appear” handicapped unless I am falling down. Quit playing God.

And to those who think the cops have better things to do…………I don’t seem to recall when laws were prioritized as to which ones would be enforced and which ones not. If they are, I hope I find a cop who thinks speeding and drug use are low on his list.

19 MikeyV April 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM

To Outrages: It’s spelled Outrageous. Leik, OMG!
You might also want to review when it is and is not appropriate to use “whom.”

That is all.

20 2BITS April 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Last year my elderly parents parked at Long’s in the handicap parking and my mother forgot to put up the plackard. When they came out of the store a policewoman (or parking enforcement, whatever) was writing them a ticket. They were in the store for less that 5 minutes. The gal told them since she has already started writing the ticket she needed to complete it. My parents had to go to court to fight the ticket. The won but still had to pay a fee of like $35.00. I have since gotten them a permenent handicap license plate. Just thought I would share.

21 MGentry April 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM

You (we) have the plate number (and photo evidence) — best just to send to CVS and the Janitorial Company with a formal letter of complaint.

(p.s.: You might want to blur the plate number… it kinda goes along with your use of “alleged”)

22 Piltdown Man April 4, 2011 at 3:13 PM

After the illegal parking in handicap spaces crackdown I would like to see a big overhaul in the handicap placard system. When that problem is solved, the police should then target loud motorcycles, cars and stereos. And then after that, the police should pull over anyone with a “paper” license on their car to be sure that they are even registered and insured. Wish I was a cop.

23 Nikki P April 4, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I see this all the time and yes the city could get quite a bit of money if they patrolled parking lots. Another good ticket….not many “handicap” people know this but if you park in a handicap spot and your tires are touching the diagnol white stripes next to the spot, you can get a major ticket. I believe in CA, it’s over $300.00 but I see so many people do this. At airports, you can find guys handing out tickets left and right to cars parked in ST and LT parking areas.

24 Sa April 4, 2011 at 3:20 PM

@mother of poo.. Not everyone thats parked In the wrong spot means its an illegal alien it could happen to anyone of us.just beause you are a janitor does not mean your an illegal alien and also not everybody that breaks the law its an illegal alien. You people need to express your opinion without being racial we live in a diverse state learn to interact with other races and cultures I still can’t believe there’s people like you still with that mentality. Its sad ….

25 @Dang April 4, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Duh!!! Illegally parking in a handicapped spot is a crime, thus makin that person a “criminal”.

And for all those of you who think it is ok becaus no one else was trying to park there, just remember that when you have a placard and you try to find a spot and they are all used up by those who should not be using them.

26 yeah April 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM

By the way they parked, they look pretty handicapped to me.

And to “Agree with Dang” a handicap parking violation is a quick gain not a quick loss as far as resources are concerned. And to answer your question more directly.

27 the Shi ite April 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Hilarious responses. Probably form the same type of people that think they can do whatever they want as long as they don’t get caught.
You know, throw your Burger king trash out the window on Clayton rd, do 22 mph on Ygnacio Valley rd while texting or use the the electric cart at the grocery store because it’s cool.
You’re going to have a difficult life & good luck getting called out on your shadiness.

28 AnonoGod April 4, 2011 at 3:29 PM

That is pretty stupid that they don’t have the plate.. I swear all you need is any type of handicap and a good doctor.. And be legit..

No clue why people today are so lazy as to not do the paperwork.. Laws are so liberal as to what is a handicap now days that it’s easy..

29 yeah part 2 April 4, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I forgot I was typing. To answer your question more directly ‘Agree with Dang’, I think it’s a slippery slope when we start advocating the selective enforcement of laws.

30 Michael April 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Yeah, why did you cross CVS out like that?

31 livininconcord April 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I say “Give em a ticket” at 300 buck a pop it would more than pay for that officer’s time (Probably less than 10 minutes) to jot out one of those handy little parking tickets and we the citizens have another 300 in our coffers. If they can write even 4 a day – thats 1200 dollars. Not bad for just a few minutes work. Plus, its just NOT RIGHT. I am tired of this moronic litany … only pursue the really REALLY bad crimes. Where do you think this all starts? hmmm I run across the border. Illegal but don’t get caught/or punished. Drive without a license ( or have an illegal one I bought in SF) Don’t have insurance – while the “honest” fools pay through the nose for insurance (after all they are paying for me NOT having insurance as well), get hurt? heck, go to the nearest Emergency Room, screw going to a doctor’s office – I would have to pay for that. If I go to the ER, I’m here illegally therefore no money – just send the bill to the state/county (someone will pay it – maybe even those poor fools who pay for their own medical insurance and so their copays go up to cover my not paying my bill. Send my kids to school, don’t want to get them immunized – so what if other kids are exposed to diseases that usually are here in the States – I just brought them in with my Typhoid Anna and Jose. Its all your problem, anway. Its not a SERIOUS crime – its not causing SERIOUS money losses. Teachers aren’t spending extra time with my kids because I don’t feel like speaking English at all – why should I- I deserve to speak any (or none – no hablo) language just work under the table, and take my CASH home.
These little crimes – YES THEY ARE CRIMES!!! are still CRIMES. I was raised that if you are driving down the street and the light is red, you stop. Not, oh look no one is watching – so it doesn’t matter – I can run the red light – after all it’s not important.

32 David Molstad April 4, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Just goes to show you what kind of people CVS hires. No service, no skills, no concern for others, no accountability, no responsibility. They probably drive and text and spend more time looking at themselves than attempting to drive safely.

33 Huey9k April 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Break drivers leg. Driver is now handicapped. Problem Solved.

34 inmotion April 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Mother of ‘poop’, the name fits.

35 jk April 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM

As a mom of a wheelchair using child this has been a lifetime problem. Even before having my child the abuses bothered me. People need to see an empty hanicap spot and think of it as a lawn or sidewalk, etc. It’s amazing people would not park in an “Employee of the Month” spot or other specially designated spot – even the “Electric Car” spots in front of Fresh and Easy but a handicapped spot they think “What the hell – I’m special”

36 Anon April 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM

This just goes along with everything else…..
People just can’t seem to abide by rules, regulations, and laws. It’s becoming more and more common for people to do whatever they want.

37 123 April 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I wish they would do away with these type of parking places. They are just abused and the system is flawed.

38 Kathy April 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Outraegous!

39 anonamel April 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Too many handicapped spots go unused… even in the busiest of times. Quite frankly, the only reason it irritates me when I see someone get away with it, is because I’m jealous that they got away with it and I probably couldn’t.

IMO, if you aren’t in a wheelchair, which requires you to have extra space to get into and out of your vehicle, you shouldn’t get a special parking space… suffer with the rest of us right, after all you’re handi*capable*.

40 Jealous April 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I swear I even look at a handicap parking spot and I’d get a ticket……..

41 Handicapped guy April 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM

To all the people who don’t think its a big deal it’s because you’re not handicapped. Being a guy in a wheelchair there are many times I have to park in a different spot and hope and pray someones doesn’t park next to me because I won’t be able to get my lift down. So walk a day in another mans shoes or wheel in a wheelchair for a day and see how easy it is. Think before you make a statement like that.

42 EdiBirsan April 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM

The writing of tickets in the handicapped zone is one of the things that the Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS) do in Concord. The VIPS are unpaid volunteers and unfortunately they have not been expanded which is something that I strongly support and was in the campaign effort. They have one car going and had a second possible but volunteer shifts and certifications being what they are it is not to be a regular thing. With expansion there would be more coverage for these sort of things which would also take pressure off the sworn folks a win win situation.

Having been handicapped for a while and dependent on some close space parking it really burns me to see the spaces abused, a feeling I am sure that I share with a ton of us here.

43 Momwithwheels April 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I have ALS (Lou Gerhigs disease). I have very limited use of leg, hands & arms and I am in a wheel chair. I get so angry that people take advantage of these handicapped spaces. I would gladly trade my disease and handicapped placard for your healthy body. Please stay out of these places if you are not disabled.

44 diggles April 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

It’s very, very rare for police to enforce parking designations on private property.

45 brendanmbeck@gmail.com April 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

@ mother of poo, the illegals in this state probably now the laws better then native Californians, why do you think they stay here? And as for the police, they just missed this one (they are not everywhere at once). I think “Anonymous” has it right. and I feel the same way “headache” does, If I did this I would probably get a ticket within a couple of minutes. Either way they are rotten bastards.

46 LostBoysMom April 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

For a second I thought this was a picture of an SUV I saw yesterday. My mother is in a wheelchair and we have a ramp van to take her out. We took her to lunch yesterday at La Pinata in downtown Concord. There is one handicap spot in the parking lot right next to the door. A huge SUV was parked in the spot next to it but so far over the line into the handicap spot, we could use it. In addition, the spot they were (sort of) in, had a 15 minute limit and was for pick up orders only. When we went into the restaurant, there was no one waiting for a take out order. We ended up parking in the middle of the parking aisle to unload my mom and then my husband went off to find a parking spot. RUDE! INCONSIDERATE! SELFISH! ILLEGAL!
Don’t say this is not a big deal until you have a loved one (or yourself) that NEEDS a handicap spot.

47 WCGator April 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

The police don’t ticket this violation for the same reason they don’t ticket cars with expired tags – which I see every day all over CC County !

48 LostBoysMom April 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I meant to say we could NOT use the handicap parking spot.

49 RU4REAL April 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM

@ ANON777: Something to think about before you bust your chops at someone who is parked in a handicapped parking spot. But before you read this, let me just say, I definitely do not commend people who ARE NOT HANDICAPPED and park in these spots illegally.

BUT YOU DON’T LOOK SICK?!? It’s hard to explain to someone when they have no clue. It’s a daily struggle feeling sick on the inside while you look fine on the outside. Some people suffer from an “invisible illness!” (MS, Anxiety, P.T.S.D, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Diabetes, Arthritis, IBS, Depression, Cancer, Migraines, etc).

50 starman April 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

no excuse for breaking the law.
the act and law was violated.
if it continues to be let go. then the acts will continues.
please for the sake of the disable report it to the police.
some of us really need and thank the public for there use.

51 I'm The Urban Spaceman April 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM

It’s rather insulting to the memory of Longs Drugs to refer to a CVS as a Longs. Longs was a great place to shop, with some very competitive pricing and friendly knowledgable employees.
CVS in no way resembles a Longs Drugs.
Pity.

52 Mr. Anon E. Mouse April 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I can see where your children get their (lack of) empathy from.
To the naysayers and whiners, there’s a reason why we have laws the likes of ADA, when you are in this position (like Handicapped or withMS) you may feel differently about having easily accessible parking spots available to you.
Be nice to everyone especially your neighbors, you never know when you might need a helping hand.

“Selfishness is that detestable vice which no one will forgive in others, and no one is without in himself.” – Henry Ward Beecher.

53 Stephen April 4, 2011 at 5:52 PM

That’s nothing. When the CPD had their field office off of Monument Blvd. in that small shopping center, Hispanics were constantly parking in the Handicap spot all the time and the Concord Police just put it on ignore on a daily basis. They could have been writing tickets and making money for the city and setting an example. I guess it’s ok if you’re Hispanic though.

54 Cowellian April 4, 2011 at 6:12 PM

One of my sons used to be an Intern with the Sheriff’s Department back when he was at UBSV. One of his jobs was ticketing handicap parking violators, and he was pretty good at it. When a disgruntled driver complained about the ticket, he would always ask the driver if they wanted to speak to the Lieutenant. And “yes” was always the wrong answer, since the LT hated handicap violators.

55 So April 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM

No big deal. The store was closed. Who was going to use the space? I doubt they would park there during business hours. Find something else to get your panties in a bunch over.

56 anon April 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I know an over weight women that uses her husbands handicap thing they hang in the window… her husband has ms and she’s just fat….

57 @momwithwheels April 4, 2011 at 6:52 PM

You should not be driving.

58 Casey April 4, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Sa (#24) said,
“…and also not everybody that breaks the law its an illegal alien.”

– Not everyone who breaks the law is an illegal alien but all illegal aliens are breaking the law.

“You people need to express your opinion without being racial we live in a diverse state learn to interact with other races and cultures I still can’t believe there’s people like you still with that mentality. Its sad ….”

– Secondly, Mother of Poo never mentioned anything about race. It seems as if you like to pull the race card and make people feel guilty about their opinions on illegal aliens while making yourself feel better for not being a racist when you are the only one bringing it up.

59 Babs April 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Outrage #10. it is legal to let a handicap person off at a door and then have someone park in a handicap spot…..this happens a lot when the spots are full and someonw has to wait for one…..to be near when the person comes out of store.

I have both license plates and placard for when I go in someone else’s car. I am also fat but part of that came from a 60 lbs. weight gain from using steriods to keep me alive.

I have Kaiser and believe me I had to go through a process to get my license/placard…..first a temp then months later the perm. one…..I tried to use a cane at first and then I kept falling down so finally accepted the fact and got the walker with a seat……my Dr. would ok a wheelchair or electric scooter but that is big bucks just to deal with your car…and I’m not driving very much anymore….plus once your in one ….very seldom do you get out…..Falling is not fun, I have fallen in the bathtub…fireman had to come….embarrassing…..falling in the driveway…..neighbor found me…to look at me, I just look fat, but I’m so stiff I can’t catch myself and I’ve to be careful about sitting and standing too long….or my legs swell so bad I have to go to hospital. My Mom weighted 89 lbs. and was dying of cancer but she didn’t look too bad….but if she had fallen she would have broken a bone and she would have died even earlier. GoGo looks like a young big guy, but if you have ever seen him stumble while trying to carry the baby and his foot give out and he falls, it’s very scary….personally, I think he should be using a cane all the time or a walker but he’s fighting all the way to keep free of all the equipment….so having a parking spot close up means less pressure on his foot……you just don’t know what is going on with people and times have changed it isn’t as easy to get placards as you think….I’ve even heard where DMV is making people get rechecked.

60 check your facts April 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Look closely at the spot, it’s not handicapped. It’s a non-marked , non-handcapped spot sandwiched between two handicapped spots. We call it the “secret spot”
The curb is not painted blue, nor is there a sign directly in front of the spot as required by California Vehicle Code sections 21458 and 22511.7

61 momwithwheels April 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM

to #57 I never said I was driving. I do get driven around. Maybe you should refrain from judging people with-out having all the information.

62 @57 April 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM

@57, You should not be posting.

63 Concord Dave April 4, 2011 at 7:51 PM

My mother and I both have handicapped placards. Some days I am able to walk a bit- never sure how long or far. She is in her 90s. I try not to use handicapped spaces but when we can’t find a reasonably close spot-I do. Would rather leave those places for those more disabled but sometimes can’t. No, I don’t look visably disabled.

64 P3 April 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM

@ #48

You may see them in some parts of CC county…. not Martinez =) I happen to know how seriously handicap violations are taken in the city of Martinez. I know of one person who got one today!

65 you know April 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM

my wife works for CVS and sayes they dont have janitors at their store. the employies do all the cleaning. but that is the clayton store. maybe the ygnaciao store is different

66 AnotherAnon April 4, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I really became aware of the difficulties a person faces with parking when observing a friend, who had had a leg amputated, trying to manuever out of a tight parking space(non Handicap) on his one leg, to get to the back seat of his car where his walker was kept. Since then, I’ve been an outspoken advocate for the Handicap Parking spots. Were I to park in one, even “just for a minute”, I’d feel so guilty I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. Please, those of you who don’t give a hoot about taking up space reserved for the less able bodied, think about how you’d feel if you needed a parking spot and none were available. And besides, that extra exercise will be good for you.

67 Mr. Mayor April 4, 2011 at 8:19 PM

@you know, These guys all had shirts on that said “janitor”, and they were vacuuming.

68 Mr. Mayor April 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

@check your facts, it was parked two spots away from the “non handicap spot”, this is in the handicap spot, look at the picture that shows the front, you can see it’s in the handicap spot.

Mayor

69 Mr. Mayor April 4, 2011 at 8:22 PM

The store wasn’t closed, read what hours it was there, from 6-9pm.

Mayor

70 TT April 4, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Able-bodied people should not park in the handicapped parking spaces. Period.

71 Happy April 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM

If you never called the police then how would they know the van was parked there…You saw it, call it in! Don’t expect the store to call it in when the van’s occupants are cleaning their store..
People love to complain about all the wrongs they see but nobody ever acts…blame the cops, blame the store employee, why not take some responsibility yourself. Call it in yourself then if the cops don’t show then you have a complaint

This is ment for the “anon” person who decided to post this to stir the pot…IMO you just add to the problem, bitch about things but take no action..

72 The real mv April 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM

@ mother of poo, please change your name to “I’m an idiot that smells of poo”, your ignorant comments shows that your a person of little class! Just because the story says janitors doesn’t mean they are “illegal aliens”! Here’s some advice for your next post: type your comment but don’t send it, then read it 10 mins later, if after reading it you feel like smacking and calling yourself an idiot don’t send it!

73 Gladys Kravitz April 4, 2011 at 8:53 PM

@Momwithwheels I am also handicapped and would love to be able to park in the reg. spaces. What some of the busybodies don’t understand is that some of us handicapped don’t drive we depend on our spouses and children to drive for us. We still need to park in the handicapped spaces as we need help getting in and out of our cars. My husband has gotten some dirty looks from people as he parks in handicap to pick me up. I’m usually good about waiting by the door so it’s a quick pick up and we pass those dirty lookers on the way out. You can see the shame in their eyes before they look away. It’s a lesson on humanity that more should learn. Till we’re all living in a handicap free world let’s call the authority whenever and wherever we see someone without the plate or placard on their vehicle in a handicap space. The baby boomers are aging quickly and they will need those spaces too.

74 You look fine to me lazy ass April 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Why don’t they go get the blue permit like half the phonies I see using them anyways.

75 tt April 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM

P.S. I really MISS Long’s. I don’t care for CVS, their staging, their products or their prices.

76 Earl April 4, 2011 at 9:06 PM

@ Stephen,

I bet if the CPD would have written tickets in that shopping center, they also would have found a lot of unlicensed and uninsured drivers!!! That handicap spot in the shopping center was in plain view of the CPD field office. How sad!

77 David Molstad April 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM

When people decide to ignore laws, chaos ensues. Happens every time.

Those who don’t believe that are already lost to the sane and civilized society. Those who do believe will endure but at great cost.

Accountability and responsibility, the cost of not only freedom but civilization.

Nay sayers say what you will for you have already denied yourself a place in the enduring civilized society.

78 Diablo April 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM

This is nothing that can’t be handled by propper placement of drywall screws. I promise they wouldn’t park in a handicap spot again!

79 juan doe April 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Yeah, P3 knows just like i do i tow 4 him all the time, keep ‘em comming “stash”

80 Bob April 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Once every couple of months or so the carpets are cleaned. You folks seem to think that the parking lot is full after 6:00 P.M. Guess you do not go to CVS in the late P.M.. During the day I could see your problem, complaining about this at night,makes me think you have a problem. Get a life !!

81 Mother of poo April 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM

@The real mv

Loosen up and get over yourself. It’s called Sarcasm.

82 Mr. Mayor April 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Bob,

It doesn’t matter what time it is, the fact of the matter is that it was a handicap zone, and they shouldn’t have parked there. Even if it’s 3am and the store’s closed, it’s still illegal.

83 @the real mv April 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Lmao!! Thanks for that…i needed it after reading that stupid comment that MOTHER OF POO POSTED .. AND @ casey you and mother of poo must be related as u repost what I had said if you read the comment it clearly says that its because the’re illegal aliens and that that’s why police won’t bother it never mentions anything about race but she’ll oviously not talking about an african american or another race for that matter ..you are just as stupid when you say “but its illegal aliens that are breaking the law” you are ignorant someone profression has nothing to do with their status in this country.. you are stupid for saying that.

84 Mom with question April 5, 2011 at 1:50 AM

If I am in line to pick up my kids and my kids are not ready yet, to keep the line moving, the staff will direct me to the handicap spot straight ahead, wait for my kids, then back up and leave. Ive only done this once but I can tell you, I felt horrible. In all essence, I was breaking the law, although the lady directing traffic directed me to do so. What should I have done or is this considered “acceptable”? I arrive a few minutes late now to make sure the kids are ready now.

85 parking sense April 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM

First, California gives the handicap placards to damn near anyone for damn near anything wrong with them, so we have a million people with the placards. How many of you have noticed people with the placards doing physical things?

Second, California has too many handicap parking places. Does there really need to be 10 at every store, really. Well I guess so, if you hand one out to everyone that makes up a lame excuse and who doesn’t really need one (or lets their friends and family use them because they are too lazy to walk.

Third, Anyone who uses a handicap parking place and doesn’t need one is one sorry ass human being. There are people out there who really need them. There are real people who have an honest to goodness hard time getting around. They do what they can to be indepentent and not become a hardship for their friends, family and society.

Fine these sorry ass people, and fine them heavily. I’m sick and tired of rude people that think that they are special and that the rules of society doen’t count toward them. It’s the same a holes that clog up traffic whenever there is a merge because they don’t want to wait in line or merge early, so everyone gets screwed.

86 Two biggest scams... April 5, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Lets be real people…the two biggest scams in California right now….

1) Cannabis club cards

2) Handicap placards

PS…in order for a spot to be considered handicap it needs to be marked with 2 of 3 indicators…blue curb, posted sign, marking of ground in the parking space…any combination of these 3 indicators makes the spot a handicap spot

87 blah April 5, 2011 at 5:29 AM

I’m afraid to even park in the handicap spot at my son’s elementary school….even though it’s ALWAYS without a doubt ALWAYS empty the one time I park there I will get a ticket……..not to mention it’s wrong and people who believe it’s okay to break one law usually feel it’s okay to break more laws. I’d have too much anxiety if I parked there, even to just run him in, that someone who needs the spot might be there…

BUT! I hate how at some places the first like THREE rows (not three spots…ROWS!) are handicap…..THAT really irks me.

88 anon April 5, 2011 at 5:30 AM

boo hoo

89 Anon April 5, 2011 at 6:39 AM

If you guys think this is bad, try visiting Broadway Plaza. In the parking garage you find illegally parked Mercedes and BMW’s everywhere and it pisses me off!

90 Anon777 April 5, 2011 at 7:17 AM

RU4REAL: Sorry, but if you don’t look handicapped, then expect to be asked! I realize that some people have invisible illnesses but I don’t have to keep my mouth shut when I see someone possibly breaking the law (one of the reasons society has become this way because most people won’t confront someone, they just go on their merry way, turning their head). I bet 100% of those cars that do not have placards are breaking the law, and estimate at least 30% of those with them are used illegally by someone other than the handicapped person. Doubtful that doctors give out handicapped placards for migraines, depression, anxiety, etc. and even if they do, that is not handicapped in the sense of walking a little further to your car! For all the abuse over these cards, the invisible illness person should be glad to be asked for proof. And cops should “waste” a little time doing this at $300 a pop. Easy money!

91 @- @ Anon 777 April 5, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Why would you take what this guy’s girlfriend does to offense? She’s only trying to help YOU!!! Quit being so negative and get over yourself. I have 3 people in my family all with different disabilities and they would much rather have someone question than not. Maybe that one time they question will open up a spot for YOU!!!

92 Diablo April 5, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Tell you people what, I’ll trade you my placard for your health any day of the week! I am not overweight and I”m not over 50 but I have permanent damage to my my spine that leaves me in pain ALL the time. So if one of you smart ass people wants to mouth off at me when I’m using a handicap spot be prepared to get a mouthfull back!

93 Shuley April 5, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Looks to me like there were 3 HC spots there and none of them were being used. I know it’s still illegal, but I, personally, would not make such a big deal about it. It’s very likely they parked there, and backed in, because they have a lot of equipment to load and unload and it’s a bit easier for them. It is easy to judge when you don’t have a sh**ty job cleaning drug stores and offices all night.

If it were a busy afternoon, or all the other spots were taken, or it was some self absorbed jackass talking on his cell phone as he strolls out of his car, I would feel different. I am much more pissed off by people who double park in busy parking lots so nobody scratches their precious cars. I see that all of the time but I’ve never seen a picture of one here. I’ll be sure to send one to the mayor next time I come accross one..

94 Sarcratease April 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM

If it took this person 3 hours at that shopping center, then he/she must be handicapped. My guess, you are looking at an employee of one of the stores.

95 OpenEyes April 5, 2011 at 9:55 AM

In case anyone hasn’t mentioned it yet – all three of those spaces in front of CVS are NOT marked for handicap placards. There are 2 spaces, one on each side but the middle space is a regular space. There is no sign at the front of the space. But because the spaces on either side are handicap designated, the lines are painted blue so people think the middle space is also designated. It is not! Look closely, not only does it not have a sgin but also doesn’t have the hash marks on either side to allow exiting like the other two. Now the fact that the driver in the picture parked poorly and was over the lines is another issue. Please check it out Mr. Mayor.

96 Mr. Mayor April 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM

@openeyes,

I think I know what you mean, but just to make sure, this van was parked in a handicap parking spot. There is one spot that isn’t handicap in front of CVS, but this one isn’t it.

Mayor

97 RichieNotRich April 5, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Maybe they just forgot to put up their placard.

I have a disabled placard (yes it’s valid) so I need to present the other side; a possible explanation. Sometimes I’m guilty of forgetting to hang it on the mirror. So much for giving people the “benefit of the doubt”.

How about the inconsiderate snobs who insist on parking at the red curbs in strip malls which are clearly in violation of something; and it’s usually at peak times when parking spots are at a premium (their time is just too valuable, don’t you know).

or the discourteous idiots who insist on bringing their %(##!&^ dogs EVERYWHERE with them. Message to these “dog lovers”: LEAVE THEM AT HOME! I don’t care how cute they are. Stop bringing them into the hardware store, Starbucks, and other indoor public places that are obviously meant for PEOPLE ONLY;

and finally, the double-wide strollers. They should be outlawed, serously. There are the back-to-back models that transport two toddlers without taking up the whole width of an aisle or sidewalk. Sorry, but “so Johnny and Suzie can hold hands” isn’t a valid reason to annoy and inconvenience everyone else.

Hoo, that felt good. Ok Mr. Mayor, for what reason won’t THIS post make it into the comments section? :)

98 Jennie April 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Maybe they DO have a sign and just forgot to put it up. My grandma has one, and she forgets to put it up all the time. But then again she only uses the handicap when she is in alot of pain.
This goes right back to assuming and judging when we don’t know the whole store. It drives me crazy when people do that!

99 anonymous April 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM

If the owner of the building (who puts up the signs ) can park wherever he wants as a matter of law, so can his employees, the janitors . They can park on the roof, blocking lanes or in a handicapped place.May not look good but no ticket.

100 Anonymous April 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM

@100, Excuse me? The owner of the building, I don’t care if it is private property, is NOT exempt from the California Vehicle Code. This is a citable offense, no matter who owns the van. It’s just too bad that no one called the cops to come write a ticket. You are absolutely wrong, the owner and his employees are not exempt from this law.

101 123 April 5, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Maybe they could turn the drive through pharmacy into just a drive through then do away with the handicap parking spaces. Just pull up and tell someone to got get what you want. Those that have the placard or are just to lazy to walk 50 feet to the stores entrance wouldn’t have to. I hate those people in the store anyway. They’re slow moving and slow minded.

102 Casey April 5, 2011 at 11:33 AM

To #84 (posting as “@the real MV”)

I do not know, nor do I even know Mother of Poo.

I had to read your comment three times due to its improper spelling and lack of periods, letting me know when a sentence ended. When you are ignorant enough to not use proper punctuation, I can’t take your comment seriously. Instead, I just laugh at you and realize that you have no idea as to what you are talking about.

Your comment: “but she’ll oviously not talking about an african american or another race for that matter “

– You still are the only one pointing a finger at what racial group you THINK Mother of Poo was referring to. Neither he/she nor I have mentioned a nationality here at all. You are just assuming Mother of Poo meant Hispanics.

“you are just as stupid when you say “but its illegal aliens that are breaking the law” you are ignorant”

– Illegal aliens ARE breaking the law. The moment they step onto U.S. soil, they become criminals. Just like the moment someone steps outside of a store with a stolen item in their pocket, they are breaking the law.

I’m done arguing with you and I know that I’m not going to change your mind. I just want you to know that by pointing out the race you ASSUME Mother of Poo was talking about makes you the ignorant one here.

103 So April 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM

@Two biggest scams…

You forgot public employee pensions, but that topic belongs in the “Politics” thread.

104 JMZ April 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I agree with Casey and So….those were racial comments…obviously because they are illegal you are talking about african, mexican or any other race that is not white…just because they are illegal does not mean they are stupid…many of them do know the law…

105 JMZ April 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM

My bad…I DO NOT AGREE WITH CASEY…I agree with so and the real mv.

106 BearWithMS April 5, 2011 at 12:41 PM

@123 (post # 101) –

You either like to stir the pot on blogs like these or you are truly clueless about people who have legitimate disabilities. Do you really have such little respect and tolerance for those who walk slower than you? I wish I could walk faster like I once did. See, my disability (multiple sclerosis) makes it hard for me to walk, talk, eat and see. I’m fairly young, too, which bothers me. Most days I feel horrible, I have severe muscle spasms, pain and the vertigo (dizziness) never goes away. I also have numbness. All of these symptoms make me unstable on my feet, therefore I walk with a cane. I’m probably at the stage where I need to have a scooter, but I refuse to give up just yet. I would gladly give up my placard to be normal again. It’s a horrible disease and I hope you never have to experience what I go through day to day. Just remember that you could one day suffer from a disability. Lighten up and show some kindness!

107 anonymous April 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

As a matter of fact, you could look up people v Thallium (9th cir )and see , clearly, that the owner and his employees are exempt from parking violations on their own property.

There you have it. Debate over.

108 momof4teens April 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

wow, a lot of time spent arguing..
Sad how poeple treat each other these days.

If it’s breaking the law, they should be fined. Sometimes people don’t get caught, but it should be fined. I know that I speed and I don’t get caught all of the time. But I do agree when I have been caught in the past. It’s against the law, I knew it and I took the chance.

If everyone could just play by the rules, we wouldn’t have the problems we do, nor the nasty comments by “adults” that have been made.

109 BusBoy April 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM

legally the van IS in a handicap spot because the vehicle in encroaching on the neighboring handicap spot.

Now OpenEyes is VERY RIGHT on this… it IS NOT a handicapped parking spot. Take a peek and please all you complainers take it down a notch.

110 Concord Dave April 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Click on the first photo and you can see the BIG blue handicapped sign just in front of the front bumper!

111 Cowellian April 5, 2011 at 4:46 PM

The van’s wheel is on the blue handicap symbol painted on the pavement.

112 Atticus Thraxx April 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Testify momof4teens.

113 OpenEyes April 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

You are very right ConcordDave, I now see in the first photo that the van IS parked in the slot with a sign. I have focused on the other photo which was taken from the sidewalk and thought he was in the middle slot. Thank you for clarifying things.

114 Happy April 5, 2011 at 7:39 PM

The only budget getting help from more tickets issued is the State’s!!

115 P3 April 5, 2011 at 8:10 PM

@ 107

You spelled something wrong, or are completely wrong. Google searches for “people v Thallium” and a dozen similar phrases turned up nothing.

Post a link, or take a hike. Debate over.

116 Retired cop April 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Total BS

The City does not make all the money on these tickests or any other CVC citations. In fact when you factor in the time spent by a single officer and the city clerks to process the ticket it is close to a wash. Plus if the person takes it to court and its on the officers off day the City pays his OT, so the City actually is losing $$”

The city does make money from it, the Private company process the tickets -not city people, it is all by computer.No one takes it to court – it is civil & no OT for the cop – get the facts straight.

117 BusBoy April 6, 2011 at 7:37 AM

@ Concord Dave

Yep same here… Was looking at the wrong photo. Daves Right.

118 lorriestories April 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Who cares? Handicapped people always get the best parking spots as it is.

119 Babs April 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I have another handicap issue that happens all the time….at least in the Ladies Room (bathrooms)….normal stalls can be empty and sure enough someone uses the handicap stall…..so I sit outside it on my walker/w/seat waiting….and out walks a teenage girl….and I get Oh, sorry….so weird…I don’t get why can’t they use a regular stall…..Does this happen in the Men’s Room???????