Serious accident near Bancroft & Minert

November 13, 2010 19:36 pm · 16 comments

One man was taken to the hospital with serious injuries after an accident just south of the intersection of Minert & Bancroft Road at about 5pm tonight.

A fellow CLAYCORDIAN named “Ross” was on scene, and tells us what he knows about the accident….

The vehicle was a late model Toyota mini van of some type. I spoke to one neighbor who witnessed the accident and he said the vehicle was traveling south on Bancroft and suffered a blowout sending him out of control and into a telephone pole that was snapped in half, then spun the vehicle around several more times.

The transformer blew-up causing a short power and cable outage in the area as well. The driver was a middle aged male who was taken out by the Fire Department and then rushed to the hospital.

He was also the only occupant in the vehicle.

Thanks to “Ross” for the information & photos, and also to “Mitch” for sending in some of the photos shown above.

{ 16 comments }

1 David Molstad November 13, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I certainly hope the driver is OK, “serious injuries” sounds bad.

Good excuse to go out and check your tires.

2 sad November 13, 2010 at 7:43 PM

A bad intersection. Not far in the summer of 1996 Brian and Chris died here.

3 I really really hate it November 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM

when that happens.

4 Babs November 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM

fyi, thank you Edi for bugging me to get those new tires…I know I was lazy and very lucky.

Babs

5 KenInConcord November 13, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Yup! We lost power for about 10 minutes right about 5pm. Nice job that PG&E could reroute and get our power back up that quickly.

6 Defensive Driver November 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Right in that area I’ve been noticing lately that drivers are constantly running the red light at Treat Blvd. & Carraige Dr. Lucky for me I always look both ways before going.

7 Lurker November 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Why can’t pge get their act together. Someone needs to stop this monopoly!

j/k. Just figured I would parrot all the comments here whenever a utility is mentioned.

8 Gayle Eckhardt November 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I too drove pass the accident and was really surprised because the China Panda where I had come from had it’s light flicker 2 or 3 times while I was eating and I saw the emergency vehicle go up Monument so I thought I was going to avoid the problem.
I really like the comments and think it is good we learn from each other. And we are thankful if someone help us to do the right thing like get the tires…

9 Gabriel V. November 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM

First time I heard about an incident in the area that Claycord was the 2nd to inform me about. My Neighbor beat you to it Mayor! He’s was one of the tow truck drivers that responded to the scene, LOL. Better luck next time!

Don’t worrie though, Claycord is still the #1 source of news in my book!

10 Northgate 96er November 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM

That is so terrible. It brings back sad memories for me, as I had a good friend who I knew at Foothill Middle and Northgate High schools who didn’t have good judgement who was drag racing on Bancroft in the early morning hours in the Summer of 1996 not long after graduation. His name was Chris, and Chris lost control of his car during the race at the corner of Minert going Northbound and then his car struck a stone wall in front of a house at the corner of Bancroft Road and Bentley Street. Neither Chris or his passenger were wearing seatbelts and died instantly!! It was such a tragedy!! Even though it has been literally a decade and a half since then, I still miss Chris a lot.

11 Anon November 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM

All we can do is hope that the driver comes out of this okay. Keep him in your thoughts, and for those of you going to church tomorrow — pray.

12 sad November 14, 2010 at 3:15 AM

#10
Chris’s passenger was Brian. We lost a lot of our classmates that summer.

13 Sinn Feiner November 14, 2010 at 4:50 AM

There was also a bad accident at the intersection of East St. and Concord Blvd. on Saturday morning around 6:00am. It involved a small red car and a commercial van. A witness said that the red car ran a red light.

Both cars had major front end damage. The van crashed into a telephone pole and the driver was sent to the hospital. I heard the driver of the red car was ok. People need to slow it down a bit and stop running red lights.

14 Northgate 96er November 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM

2 & 12, yes I was aware that Brian was Chris’ passenger. I didn’t know Brian very well, but I did know his brother Jason, and Chris was also a fairly good friend of mine. I have his signature in my yearbook from 2 years earlier!! I didn’t see your comment was number 2. As I said, even though it has been 14 years now, I still think about Chris occasionally. It was especially sad for me because I was visiting family back in Delaware at the time, and was unable to attend Chris funeral.

15 hope November 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Northgate 96er.

I remember hearing the screeching on the road and then the crash, followed by the ambulance that terrible night. That Northgate class certainly learned something from that and I think it may have saved other lives from reckless driving. I remember some members of that class pushing their seats way back and driving 90 mph without thought of others safety. I feel for Chris’s parents, that is a horrible way to go.

16 GG November 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

My other half was right beside the car that wrecked. She said the car sped up and got over into her lane and she thought he was just trying to get around the car that was in front of him. She said the car just kept going all the way onto the sidewalk and then hit the light pole. She had to come to a swerving skidding stop. She called me very shaken up over the incident but stayed on scene to give her statement to the police.