UPDATE: Major injury motorcycle crash on Concord Avenue near Market Street

October 6, 2010 13:19 pm · 26 comments

The Concord Police Department has shut down Concord Avenue near Market Street after a major injury motorcycle crash a few minutes ago.

Concord Avenue, going towards downtown is shut down at Market, and California Street is also shut down while authorities investigate.

Please use a detour if you planned to travel in the area.

UPDATE, 2:33pm: The roads are now back open. There’s no word yet on the condition of the motorcyclist, we will know in about an hour.

UPDATE, 4:30pm: The motorcyclist has died. Please click HERE for more information.

1 Jim October 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Please update when bikers status is known. It was an all black sport bike. Hopes are with the biker.

2 TheYellowRanger October 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I know the anti-motorcycle comments are about to hit, so i’ll say something pertinent to the post first. I can recall at least 3 motorcycle accidents on or near market in the past year (?) I’m wondering what is it about this street/area that is conducive to all the motorcycle accidents?

3 Again October 6, 2010 at 1:37 PM

It wasn’t the Concord police officers running into eachother again, was it?

4 ConcordCatLady October 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Yellow Ranger – I don’t know. I ride on this street and area daily and I’ve never had any close calls even during commute hours.

5 I've been running big bikes for 40 years October 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Throughout that time the level of stupidity and carelessness on the part of automobilists has remained constant.

However, my fellow riders have become less skilled and cautious. This fact, compounded by the increasing performance level of motorcycles, is part of the problem.

Back in the olde days you would start out with a 250cc bike, then move up to 650cc, and maybe on to a big 1000cc or 80 c.i.. Now, young guys are hopping on these rockets with little or no experience. And it’s not just the kids, every time I go the Harley shop I see some “Executive Rider” tetering around on a Road King.

6 bluebird October 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM

The accident was closer to California and Concord Ave than to Market. The poor mc rider was laying down so I assumed he must have been thrown off of the cycle. I hope and pray he will be alright.

7 Ian October 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM

#5
Nice slam on the white collar work force. You are obviously very cool.

8 kasey October 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM

please get an update on the rider. this sounds like it could be a friend of mine

9 Mr. Mayor October 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Roads are now open. Condition still unknown. We will know in about an hour what his/her condition is.

10 NiteMom October 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I hope he is ok. I am relatively unfamiliar with lane splitting, dont know if that was the case, but they scare me. I feel sometimes that if I hickup in my lane, I will hit them. I am sure thats not the intent of lane splitting.

11 am's mom October 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I saw the accident. Please update the bikers condition. Thanks!

12 HM October 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM

The motorcyclist passed away, confirmed!

13 MissMelyssa October 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM

OMG, that’s what the sirens were for.

Yikes. RIP motorcycle rider.

14 wildcat October 6, 2010 at 3:36 PM

One truism about riding motorcycles….it’s not a question of will I wreck, but how bad will you be hurt. Everyone I know that rides a motorcycle has been in a wreck, whether it was their fault or not.

15 MG October 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Your positive the motorcyclist passed away?

16 HM October 6, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Yes MG!!!!!! I work in a field that was notified of it.

17 Garcia October 6, 2010 at 4:11 PM

@Nitemom: Not meaning to split hairs, but it is actually referred too as lane sharing, not splitting. Splitting is riding DIRECTLY in between two lanes, like on the bumps, and is illegal. Sharing is occupying the same lane as another vehicle. I called it splitting until I got a motorcycle and got yelled at on a forum for using the term “splitting”.

18 Mr. Mayor October 6, 2010 at 4:21 PM

HM is correct, the motorcyclist has died.

19 Mr. Mayor October 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I’m also hearing it wasn’t the motorcyclists fault.

20 Cowellian October 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Fault or not, it’s usually the cyclist who loses when it’s two-wheels versus four or more wheels. It’s sad about the loss of life.

21 NiteMom October 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Garcia,
Thank you for sharing that. I had no idea there were even two different meanings. I appreciate your explanation.

I am sorry to hear the motorcyclist has died. It is harder to hear that it was not his fault, although that sounds odd, even if it was his fault I don’t want to see anyone die. I hope the reason for this crash, and unnecessary death is settled soon, for the family. So sad.

22 ConcordCatLady October 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

There is no law saying you can’t ride a motorcycle right smack on the line between two lanes (although I don’t know why you’d want to if there are bumps or a crack seperating the lanes)… but splitting/sharing is the same thing. It’s not illegal (in California) as long as it’s done safely, which is at the discretion of the police. Lane placement isn’t always even an option when trying to meneuver through traffic on a motorcycle though.

23 ConcordCatLady October 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM

/\/\/\ my comment above meant for Garcia

24 Elaine Changes October 6, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Lane sharing is only allowed in bumper to bumper traffic.

Lane sharing was created when traffic is going zero to ten, the bikes can go 10 to 15, but never more than 10 miles faster than traffic.

The rationale is that bikes are aircooled and would be damaged by idling too long in bumper to bumper.

If your bike is watercooled you’re not allowed to lane change.

Any savvy cop can write you up for lane sharing at road speed, or with a watercooled bike.

Look it up. Remember intent -vs- letter of law.

25 CM400 Hopes ricardo crashed October 7, 2010 at 5:27 AM

To the mexican that thinks “splitting ” or riding between lanes on a motor cylce is illegal:
It is legal up to 45 mpg.Anyone yelling about it is an idiot.People in cars that get mad are just jealous and should or shut up or get a motorcycle,
its one of the advatages of rinding a motorcycle and is perfectly legal.
Look in the Ca vehicle code.You must have been riding without a Class M licence or you would know that

26 ConcordCatLady October 7, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Elaine – no offense but you are wrong. I have been riding for over a decade and know the laws for goddsake! It amazes me how many people in cars have something against bikes sharing lanes – probably because they don’t know it is completely legal as long as they aren’t riding wrecklessly. I just completed an advanced riders course endorsed by the highway patrol and even THEY said splitting lanes up to 35 mph when traffic is going slower can be done safely. THere is no speed limit laws regarding splitting lanes and nothing saying a water cooled bike can’t do so.