UPDATE: Vehicle -vs- Girl on Clayton Road

September 30, 2010 9:47 am · 26 comments

The 15-year-old girl who was struck by a car and badly injured on Clayton Road earlier this week is expected to survive, according to CPD Sgt. Jeff Krieger.

The girl, who’s a resident of Benicia, was walking with her friend in a crosswalk at Clayton Road & The Alameda, when she was hit by the vehicle. She received several major injuries and was airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Oakland. None of the injuries are considered life-threatening.

Sgt. Krieger says drugs and alcohol did not play a role in the crash.

To read more information on this story, please click ON THIS LINK.

1 Terry Kremin September 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

2 MissMelyssa September 30, 2010 at 9:57 AM

That’s a scary intersection. I wouldn’t cross it.

3 Ezekail Gefalgafar September 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Always tell your kids to look both ways…, geez whats so difficult?

Though this is a tough lesson for her, but I’ll bet from now on she just won’t blindly step off the curb.

4 Ian September 30, 2010 at 10:11 AM

It’s a bad intersection, I’d be very very careful crossing it.
Everyone needs to remember, people don’t care on Clayton.

5 what the heck September 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Thank you for the update. When you want to know what is going on around you check Claycord.com first. It always has the newest news! Thank you Mayor for the awesome job that you do!

6 David Molstad September 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Delighted to hear this news…

7 Captain Safety September 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Crosswalks give pedestrians a false sense of security.

Don’t use intersections with crosswalks.

Proceed with caution when crossing the street.

Pedestrians have the right of way, but always lose when they don’t give up their pedestrian right of way.

8 Mr. Mayor September 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Thank you, what the heck!! :)

9 Paul September 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Mayor do you know if this was in fact the drivers fault?

10 Peanuts Mommy September 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Oh I am so glad. I kept thinking of her and her family! :)

11 Pedestrian September 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Paul (#9), this is almost by definition the driver’s fault. (Which is not to suggest it was intentional–I’m sure the driver feels awful.) A pedestrian in a crosswalk has the right of way, and cars are required to stop. It is just like a stop sign or a red light. If you run a red light and hit someone, you are at fault. That said, when I walk, I never assume a car is going to stop until it has stopped, and then I double-check to sure the car behind it does not try to swing around and run the crosswalk. Unfortunately, too many drivers do not respect the right of way of pedestrians (or do not even bother to look for them), and when that happens, pedestrians lose.

12 Gd September 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

That’s great news!!

13 confused about MDUSD September 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM

That’s great she’s doing well…. BUT why is a resident from Benicia attending school in Concord? “Per CoCo Times”

14 The facts September 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Instead of blaming the pedestrian learn the facts. The driver went around a car that stopped for them, he didn’t want to wait

15 Anon September 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Glad to hear the great news she will be ok. That is such a bad area of Clayton Road. I’m always afraid when I stop for pedestrians I am going to get rear ended because folks are driving far too fast.

16 Mimi September 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM

So happy to hear she’s doing okay! I hate that cross walk. The City Traffic Engineers need to do away with it like the others on Clayton Rd. or make it more visable! It’s really hard to see. I’m aware of it and it’s still blends in. I always look and stop for pedestrians there. I stopped yesterday afternoon and was almost rear ended!! The paint on the pavement is almost un noticable. Put some bright paint and bigger brighter signs!!
Thanks for the update Mr. Mayor. Again,

17 Renee September 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM

CCTimes also PRINTED in the paper she was 10 and walking with her father across the street. ONLINE they correct it and say 15. Prayers for her speedy recovery. I’ll just stay tuned to CLAYCORD and get the real story.

18 Toodles September 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM

You know, they should file charges against that driver. I almost hesitate to stop for peds for fear people are going to fly past me and kill someone! Then ID feel like it was my fault.

Make this person an example, NOW.

19 Pleasant Jenny September 30, 2010 at 6:11 PM

So happy for the good (and accurate) news! I should leave this for the “rant” board, but, I always try to be aware of pedestrians and sometimes I get nervous the car behind me won’t stop since it’s not a signal but just a crosswalk. My parents were in a very bad car accident years ago due to stopping for a pedestrian. And there are the drivers honking at me as they don’t see the person walking across and think I’ve stopped for no reason. Driving is serious. I wish everyone would take it more seriously. And then I’ve had a couple times that with the glare of the sun I almost didn’t see the pedestrian. Thankful I didn’t hit anyone. Don’t think I could live with myself.

20 Mimi September 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Mimi at 3:15. You’re an imposter!

21 claytoncate September 30, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I drove by the crosswalk this evening and the signs simply aren’t enough – why can’t they add some flashing yellow lights that could be activated by pedestrians? Why can’t we have something like the lights at the pedestrian crossing on Mt. Diablo Blvd. in Walnut Creek, between H&H and Nordstroms? This would be money better spent than some of the wasteful & overpriced surveys recently done by the City of Concord.

22 BSA September 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

#4 Peopel in Clayton do care. How ignorant to say such a thing.

23 arbitraria October 1, 2010 at 6:32 AM

Ezekail Gefalgafar: you must be joking. Is your name something spelled backwards, because YOU are backwards if you think it’s time to teach this poor kid a lesson while she fights for her life. Hope you don’t have kids and have to hear stupid remarks like this one if they almost get killed.

24 Cowellian October 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM

claytoncate@21,
I’ve always liked that idea.

25 Captain Safety October 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Regarding those flashing-light-crosswalks in Walnut Creek, they BACKFIRE for me— I start tripping out on the flashing lights, and I fail to notice that a PEDESTRIAN has entered the crosswalk.

Again, stay out of crosswalks if you want to live, as a pedestrian!

Again, CROSSWALKS GIVE PEDESTRIANS A FALSE-SENSE OF SECURITY.

26 Antler October 2, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Captain Safety at #25 ~ ~ ~ YES!!! A crosswalk without a signal light is INVITING trouble! It’s just too easy not to notice that a car in the lane beside you has come to a stop…..or to realize WHY it has stopped (because usually they are only waiting to make a turn). More than once a pedestrian has evidently stepped out into a crosswalk right in front of a vehicle I’m following, causing that driver to make an emergency stop which (since I didn’t see the pedestrian) I didn’t understand. Then, rather than rear-ending the car ahead of me, I have swerved to the left and then put my SUV on its nose to avoid hitting some snickering young person strutting his stuff across the street.

It also bothers me that the trail crosswalk on Concord Boulevard only flashes a YELLOW light when someone has pushed the activate button prior to crossing. That should be a flashing RED light telling the driver “Come to a complete stop and proceed only when there is no foot or bike traffic crossing.”

I am so glad to hear that the young girl will survive, and I sincerely hope she will not be left with lasting health problems as a result of having been hit.