UPDATE: Vegetation fire in Clayton

September 29, 2010 13:23 pm · 11 comments

A two-alarm vegetation fire is burning in Clayton right now, at 5191 Morgan Territory Road.

Crews from ConFIRE and CalFIRE are both on scene.

We’ll update you when we hear more.

Thanks to James for the photo!

UPDATE, 1:45pm: As you can tell from the photo, structures are being threatened by this blaze.

A bulldozer is on its way to the scene to help control the fire.

UPDATE, 2:10pm: The fire is now under control. A barn was burned at the old Clayton Valley Farms near Leon Drive, and one person was treated for smoke inhalation, but they will be ok.

Thanks to everybody for the information on the fire!

map: yahoo! maps

1 just me September 29, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I was just driving back into Clayton noticed the smoke. Saw that 311 was already gone and heard a few more sirens in the background. Sounds like it was possibly 1 house and they are trying to determine if more than 1 is involved. 1 acre also involved with chance to spread/spot to more area. More Cal Fire engines/Marin County engines are enroute. Sounds like it’s in the general area of the Curry fire. Currently it sounds like it’s a mix of Con Fire, E CoCo Fire, and Cal Fire engines on scene.

2 Ian September 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Vegetation fire in Clayton?!?!?
Don’t they know it’s illegal to sell vegetables in Clayton???

3 marshcreeker September 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Don’t know if it’s related to the fire, but I just saw an ambulance headed down Marsh Creek towards that direction with their lights and siren on.

4 ConcordCatLady September 29, 2010 at 2:02 PM

One person being treated for smoke inhalation and there has been a structure damaged.

5 Jody Cooper September 29, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Is the fire already contained? I always get concerned when I hear about fires because my back yard butts up against the state park. Plus I just left my dog inside the house with the air on to come back to work! I hope the person suffering smoke inhalation is okay.

6 Peggy September 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I’m on Leon right by fire. A barn burned plus some vegitation. Scary! Appears controlled and dozer just arrived. Too close for comfort.

And what will happen in these situations when our Cal Fire station is no longer staffed this winter???? That is the plan, and we have been told response time will be 20 to 25 minutes.

7 Radar September 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM

That’s a good question Peggy. I would assume more structures would be burned and people hurt.

8 Peggy September 29, 2010 at 2:36 PM

The dozer just went out, probably to knock down the barn. Thank goodness for no wind today! Now where is the fog bank???

9 just me September 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM

@Peggy it will be interesting to see what happens, the closing for the witner of Sunshine (station 16) was kinda swept under the rug by E CoCo Fire. Everyone made a big deal about the 2 stations in East County closing but never really mentioned that they were not going to renew the contract with Cal Fire for year round fire/medical service. They were usually the first responders for any event in the Morgan Territory and Marsh Creek areas. It’s not uncommon to have Sunshine also provide back up for fires in the Claycord area, I have heard them respond to a few house fires in the area and they also have provided coverage to Station 11 when they are out at an extended assignment. It was sure nice knowing there were 2 Cal Fire engines based 10 mins outside of Clayton and ready to respond to if needed.

10 Anon September 29, 2010 at 2:39 PM

@Peggy…can you confirm that there were no horses or other animals in the barn? I have a lot of friends that have horses up in that area.

11 anon2 September 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM

At Anon:
word is it was contained quickly, 1-2 acres, and the structure was maybe qualtrough’s that it got near. Horses were all okay from what I heard.