Giving thanks to those who helped “Peanut”

September 29, 2010 15:34 pm · 31 comments

A couple in Pleasant Hill recently suffered a tragic loss after their dog was hit & killed by a vehicle.

Unfortunately, at the time of the accident, they didn’t get a chance to say “thanks” to those of you out there who helped out after little “Peanut” was killed.

Here’s their story….

Unfortunately our very special dog (he was more like one of our children) named Peanut was hit and killed. Our family is devastated. My husband was looking for him when he saw a car driving around the area…they had either hit him or witnessed the accident, either way the fact that they were looking for the dogs owner was very nice of them. They directed my husband to where a few cars pulled over and several people were standing around Peanut and trying to help.

My husband was in such shock and so sad that he didn’t say a word to any of the people but did hear people saying how sorry they were. He scooped him up and carried him home silently…and had to report to his wife and 3 kids that he was dead. He was in too much shock and pain to say anything to all of these people but later felt as if he wished he did.

The reason I am writing is because we would like to say thank you to the people that were helping, the people that cared enough to stop, cared enough to drive around the neighborhood looking for the owners of this dog that was loved so dearly and the people that moved him out of the road and up onto the sidewalk. Thank you so much for caring and helping. I have seen so many animals left on the side of the road and it is just awful and heartbreaking. Thank you for renewing a little faith in humanity for our family.

RIP Peanut Lassiter, October 2002-September 27th 2010.

1 Jody Cooper September 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, what a tragic way to lose your beloved pet. I am glad that people cared enough to try to help him.

2 Jason @ REI Capital September 29, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Sorry to hear about this… I often think dogs are better companions than people. Peanut looks like he was a great dog :-(

3 Buddy September 29, 2010 at 4:20 PM

This sort of this just renews my faith humanity.
Rest in Peace little Peanut, you were so loved.

4 Whitney @ Coupon Wonder Mom September 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Mayor, this made me cry. My husband is the one who carried Peanut out of the road and onto the sidewalk. We saw him, and another Chihuahua, running on Contra Costa and tried to turn around and catch them. When we reached the spot where we saw them, one had unfortunately been hit by a car. A few other people were there as well and very upset that they couldn’t save this little guy. My husband cradled the poor dog to the sidewalk and we were so thankful the owner came a few minutes later because we didn’t want to leave him there on the road.

We were very shaken up afterward and sad for all involved. It was also tough trying to explain what happened to our 4 year old who was in the car so we just said that the poor dog was in Heaven now. I’m still very sad about this… our condolences go to the family who lost their furry friend. We were sorry and saddened that we couldn’t catch him sooner.

5 Ceiba September 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM

“Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…”
Author unknown…

6 Concord Mom September 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM

So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

7 I understand totally September 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I just wanted to let you know that I witnessed my cat being hit by a car. It was devastating. The person who hit him was going way too fast. I tried to save him by taking him to the vet, but it was too late.
I’m sorry for your loss!!

8 Peanuts Mommy September 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Thanks you everyone for your kind words and thoughtfulness. Our family is devastated and I am sobbing as I type this.
To: Whitney @ Coupon Wonder Mom: Thank you so much for helping and getting our baby Peanut out of the road. We were able to let our kids (an myself) kiss his head after wrapping him in a blanket so they could say goodbye, I am sure he would not have been in the condition to do this if he were left in the street. Thank you for trying to save them and I am sorry to you and your family for the trauma you went through. My husband was in no condition to thank anyone at that moment.
@ Ceiba: Thank you for sharing that. It really touched my heart and I think I will have it engraved on either his photo or the box he will be in after cremation.

9 Peanuts Mommy September 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Also, thank you for posting this Mayor. You are the best. As you can see…some of the people that helped got our message! See how wonderful our community is…

10 Angie September 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dearly loved cat 3 years ago this October and no matter how it happens it is devestating. My heart goes out to you and your family. It’s heartwarming to hear that people stopped and cared for the little guy until the owner came.

11 SharingHerring September 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

So sorry you have lost your beloved friend. Nobody loves you like a dog does.
Take care

12 MO September 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.
I love the picture of Peanut.
And, yes there are people out there, who are so good and so kind.

Peanut wouldn’t want you to be so sad.
Remember the good times, celebrate those wonderful years.

Love MO

13 me September 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I make the following comments with no disrespect to the particular family
Or situation at hand since I know no specifics.

Keep close watch of your dogs. Get a breed intelligent enough to learn simple safety rules that you would teach a child (ie don’t run into the street), teach ur dog not to run into the street. My six month old pitbull heels at the sidewalk….

14 anonymous September 29, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Condolences to Peanuts family, and thanks to the family that moved him. I try to stop every time I see a dead animal to move them to the side of the road. I carry a towel and blanket in my car.I just hate to see drivers run over them again and again. Sometimes it’s intentional and sometimes not. I don’t understand why some do this intentionally.

15 PT September 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM

That is so sad! I’m so sorry for the loss. I’m glad people pulled over to help and care. I had the misfortune of looking for my cat years ago only to find her on the side of the street. Worst pain in the world…
To everyone who drives… slow down just a little bit on the roads.

16 Renee September 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Oh Peanuts Family, how heart breaking. God bless you and your sweet little buddy who is now running in the meadows. I’m so so sorry you and your children had to feel this pain. Take Care. One day you will get another sweet buddy and love him/her as much, it really helps to heal the pain, I know, I’ve been there. Hugs to you all.

17 Anon September 29, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Geeze — I’m crying as I’m reading this thread. I am so sorry for Peanut and his family. We adore our doggies and can’t imagine losing one of them.

18 Shadowgirl September 29, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I’m glad there were such caring people to stop and help. It is so difficult to lose a pet as they truly are family members. I know you have many wonderful memories of Peanut that will bring comfort to your family through this difficult time.

19 rubio September 29, 2010 at 10:43 PM

me,
You’re an idiot re; your moronic “advice” on dog breeds. And you have a pit bull. I rest my case.

20 claytoncate September 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Dear Peanut’s Family – I am so sorry for the loss of your special family member. I’m picturing Peanut as a little angel, with wings :-)

21 Peanuts Mommy September 30, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Everyone in the Claycord community: I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so caring and loving. I am only up right now because crying myself asleep again sounds like a terrible option. You are all amazing. My house is so different, our world is so different. I love my community. Thanks again <3

22 Leigh September 30, 2010 at 5:42 AM

CEIBA- That was beautiful. The first time I read that poem was when we lost out beloved dog Cody and the vet sent us a card with that poem on-it. I take it out and read it still, 7 years later, when I fiind myself missing him.

To Peanut’s mom – I’m so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your children. It’s not easy for any one to deal with the loss of a pet, but for children the loss is multiplied as they try to understand why.

RIP Peanut.

23 Leigh September 30, 2010 at 5:46 AM

And Whitney @ Coupon Wonder Mom – you and your husband are wonderful people. Thank you for stopping and giving this dog a little love in his final moments. Because of you, Peanut’s family knows he was not alone. Very comforting.

24 Anon September 30, 2010 at 6:35 AM

We love our animals. Remember to take time to enjoy them. My thanks to all of you for your act of kindness to help Peanut.

25 CDK September 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM

So sorry for your loss. RIP Little Peanut :~(

26 MBA September 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Sorry for your loss. It was heartening that so many strangers stopped to assist. When I found my Mastiff after he had been hit by a car, I tried to flag someone down to help me lift him into my vehicle. Many motorists slowed down only to gawk and subsequently drive on by. (He survived, but with a pronounced limp.)

27 Meadow's Mommy September 30, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Ceiba- We just had to put our beloved dog of 12 years down and we received many warm condolences about the Rainbow Bridge. I didn’t really know what it meant until I read what you wrote.
Thank you.

Peanut’s Mommy- So sorry for your family’s loss. There is a shift in your world when you suddenly are missing an important member of the family. Wishing you all the best.

28 Nikki P September 30, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Holding back the tears…….losing a pet this way is absolutely terrible. Some people don’t realize how our pets become one of our family members and losing them is very hard. Sorry for your loss

29 G-Sphere September 30, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Our pets are a big part of our family. I am sorry for the loss in your family. Lil Peanut must have been deeply loved. It is heartening to see the softer side of Claycord. My best wishes to your family.

30 arbitraria September 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I Understand Totally: I know that heartbreak, too. So sorry it happened to you. I always try to remember that it was an accident: I can only believe that the person didn’t mean to hurt my kitty.

So sorry about Peanut….bless all the baby animals out there.

31 the Shi ite September 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

rubio, Take a hike buddy – nobody wants to hear or read your hate.

RIP Peanut.