UPDATE: Girl struck by vehicle on Clayton

September 28, 2010 16:51 pm · 78 comments

Tuesday afternoon, 4:51pm: Clayton Road in Concord has been shut down in both directions after a girl was struck by a vehicle in the crosswalk at The Alameda, which is close to the downtown Concord BART station.

The girl, who is laying in the street, has a major head wound, and will be airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Oakland.

A helicopter will be landing on Clayton Road to transport the victim, so stay away from the area.

UPDATE, 5:05pm: The girl has been picked up by Cal-Star, and is currently being life-flighted to Oakland. The road remains closed in both directions.

UPDATE, 5:10pm: Westbound Clayton Road (towards Downtown Concord) is now open.

Eastbound will remain shut down for some time while authorities investigate.

UPDATE, 7:40pm: The road is back open. We’re hearing the girl is a 15-year-old resident of Benicia, so while she isn’t a “little” girl, she’s still very young. Her condition is unknown at this time, but we’ll update you when we hear more.

The person who hit the girl did stop at the scene, this was not a hit & run.

UPDATE, 8:05pm: The Concord Police have released more information, and are saying the extent of the girl’s injuries are unknown at this time.

Cpl. Eric Olson has more details….

The pedestrian sustained a traumatic head injury and was transported by helicopter to Children’s Hospital in Oakland. The extents of the juvenile’s injuries are not known at this time. The intersection was shut down for approximately one hour due to the investigation.

The Concord Police Traffic Bureau responded to the scene to take over the investigation. A preliminary investigation indicated that the vehicle was traveling eastbound on Clayton Rd., approaching the intersection, while (2) two female juveniles were crossing southbound on Clayton Rd. in a marked crosswalk. The preliminary investigation also indicated that vehicle speed and alcohol were not a factor in the collision.

The cause of the collision has not been determined at this time.

The collision is still under investigation. Anyone with additional information regarding this collision, please contact Traffic Corporal Eric Olson with The Concord Police Traffic Bureau at 925-671-3265.

1 GoGo Gomez September 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

How sad :(

2 kathy B. September 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Helicopter just left with the little girl..my prayers are with her and her family!

3 Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Something needs to be done in that area. I have almost been struck by a car while pushing my daughter in the stroller on more than one occasion. I am very sorry that this child has been struck. My prayers are with her and her family.

4 Cindy September 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

OMG! I’m so sorry for that little girl.

Prayers for her and her family.
Please keep us posted.

5 jasmine September 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Im so sorry for the lil girl my prayers go out to her and her family

6 mike September 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

We have been asking for a streetlight there for a while! Its a really busy intersection especially with the gas station on that corner. Prayers to her and her family.

7 David Molstad September 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM

My prayers too for the little girl and her family.

Let’s concentrate on good thoughts for the little girl, there will be time enough to discuss how the accident happened and who may be responsible once she is stable and out of danger.

8 Smokey September 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM

This is so sad ! My daughter and I used to cross there with the stroller but I have long since stopped using that cross walk and walk way down to the light to cross because we have been trapped in the middle of the road so dang many times … It is really out of hand at that crossing … I have yelled STOP from the middle of the cross walk at the traffic coming from bart …

9 nicole September 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Please post status of little girl when available. I’ll keep her in my prayers.

10 Anon September 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Oh that poor little girl and her family. I will be praying for them all!

11 claytoncate September 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM

My thoughts and prayers to the little girl, family & friends. I agree, that’s a crazy area for anyone on foot.

12 Bart September 28, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Very sad, my heart goes out to her parents. I know this area and it’s very scary crossing. Too many speeders! Slow down and watch where you are going people especially between noon-3pm when the kids are getting out of school. Too many people in a hurry these days, very selfish generation of people.

13 Shay September 28, 2010 at 5:43 PM

My friend just called me and told me about this. We know this girl! Don’t have any new information but I will keep updated if I find anything out.

14 Atticus Thraxx September 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM

If there’s anything we can do as a community, as always Mayor, you need just ask.

15 miss b September 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM

she is in my thoughts and prayers.
concord needs to have a stop light there, and on willow pass rd at san vincente, the city spent who knows how much money on installing a flashing yellow light with sound that says ‘Use caution when crossing, vehicles may not stop’ instead of a stop light. how many people need to be hurt or worse before the city does something???????????

16 Pleasant Jenny September 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Ohhhhhh this is so sad. How scared her family must be. Prayers for all!!! Claycord.com has assisted in catching criminals. I’ll hope for our power of prayer in this kind of circumstance as well.

17 Carcass September 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM

West bound Clayton road in the evening sucks. You are looking right into the sun. People crossing have no idea they can’t be seen. Bad, Bad combination…Hope shes ok…

18 Moneypenny September 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM

How awful!! I hope that the little girl will be alright. I’d be interested to know the details of this tragic accident. Drive safely people and pedestrians remember to assume that a driver is watching out for your safety…..

19 Moneypenny September 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I meant to say NEVER assume a driver is watching out for your safety.

20 Old man Bob September 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Mr. Mayor, With all due respect, are you sure you have the details correct? It is now almost two hours after the kid was hit and the Contra Costa Times doesn’t have the story. If it is not on their website it makes me wonder if it is serious as you say, or if it even happened at all.

Bob

21 Mad Mom September 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Oh Mayor, please give us an update when you can. How sad. I was in that intersection just 15 minutes prior to the accident. Very busy area.
I truly hope that this little one is OK.

22 anon September 28, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Miss b,
A little girl was killed at willow pass rd. at san vincente by a drunk driver, hit and run, years ago. She was in a crosswalk.

23 inmotion September 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM

What’s the latest Mayor?

24 Anon September 28, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Yes #20 Old Man Bob it is true. My friend watched the helicopter take her.

25 Dragon September 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Old Man Bob, i saw the helicopter myself. I don’t know if it was a little girl, but *someone* was severely injured there.

Poor thing. I hope she recovers as fast as possible. And I also hope this galvanizes the city to put a crosswalk there. I like to walk to the stores and the library when possible, and that is one unsafe intersection.

26 Anon September 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Yes it’s true my friend was with her when it happened. The hospital won’t give out any information.

27 Erin September 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM

We live right down the street and were leaving the house when all this occurred. I knew by the abundance of police something horrible happened. When I saw where the police and ambulance was I just knew someone must have gotten hit. This is a horrible place to cross! They need to spend money making pedestrians safer in this crosswalk or remove it and have people cross at the cvs light. I really hope this girl is ok and my prayers and thoughts go out to her family.

28 what the heck September 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Something needs to be done on Clayton Road. Just today saw that an older couple had hit someone on a bike just up from there. This road is so dangerous.My prayers are with the little girl and her family. Maybe reducing the speed will help! Any ideas???

29 debby September 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I drove past just after it happened. There were several people with her taking care of her. I cried all the way home for her. I am praying for her and her family.

30 thighs of glory September 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Was it a hit and run?

31 Kevin September 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Devastating.

32 Lifeline September 28, 2010 at 7:40 PM

It did happen Old man bob i was driveing home from work and saw the helcopter land on clayton rd

33 Maggie September 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM

oh god i was right there when it happend i go to her school with her SHES NOT LITTLE SHES 15 GEEZ SHES JUST SMALL anyways it was awful and it defiitly happend people. be careful out there!!!!!!!!!

34 Lari September 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Debby, I’m glad you wrote that because from the original description, it sounded as if this girl was all alone, just lying in the street with a head wound. And it made me feel so horrifically sad and I was hoping someone could have been there to just hold her hand.

35 mary cross September 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I always stop for people in crosswalks, sometimes I don’t see them if they are in the middle next to a pole and I feel bad..

The thing that gets me, sometimes when I stop the car behind me will honk at me for stopping or go around me. The cars next to me keep going. What is wrong with people???.

36 just me September 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I happened to be listening to the Fire scanner at the time, you could hear the “worry” in the Capt from Quint 6’s voice when he asked for Cal Star. They had it staging at the airport but as I recall his words were something like “..no tell them to get in the air now and we’ll figure out a landing zone.” From that description you could tell sadly it was pretty serious. Hopefully she ends up OK.

37 John Holt September 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

@maggie, she can’t be 15. children’s hospital oakland pediatric trauma criteria is 14 and under, she was flown to children’s because of her age, if she was over the age of 14 she would have been transported to john muir walnut creek by ground ambulance for a trauma patient.

38 Nicole September 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

#20 if you haven’t learned by now…If you want the most up to date info go to Claycord. The CoCo times is a joke & half Ass’s all the info. Infact the only time I read the Times is to read the Obituaries, since that takes a couple of days to make it into the N.P.

39 Pam September 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I appreciate your updating this information. Please keep us informed as best you can. My prayers go out to the girl and her family and friends.

40 Nicole September 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM

@#20 I don’t make up these things, I just report the fact’s.

41 Terry Kremin September 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

We need more lights, and more enforcement, on Clayton road. I can’t count how many times I have seen people blow through the light at the trail crossing just south of this. It is time that Concord reclaims Clayton Rd as it IS in our city and we stop letting it be an expressway for the SOY crowd (South of Ygnacio) to get through Concord. Money talks, but only to receptive ears. We need ears better tuned to real issues on our city council that will actually do something, not just listen to the dollars.

42 Carlyn Obringer September 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM

This is very sad and I sincerely hope that the injured girl will make a full recovery. My neighbors and I, who live in the new sub-division at the intersection of Clayton Road and the Alameda, have been very concerned about getting hit by the cars turning into the Gas Maxx or speeding down Clayton Road when we are trying to walk to and from BART, the downtown, or even the Terminal Shopping Center. That is why I asked the City to conduct a traffic study. The first time, in March 2009, the statistics did not warrant a traffic light. However, the second time I made the request, in March of this year, the study did warrant a light. The design budget for the light was approved by the City Council in June and a traffic light is anticipated for the intersection in 2012. In my opinion, it can’t come soon enough.

43 Radar September 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Old Man Bob, The Times is slow at getting stories up if they get the story posted at all. The Mayor is always updating Claycord and is on top of things. Isn’t it the reason you go to Claycord? If I was available I would have been out there taking pics.

44 Heather September 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

My husband owns Nor Cal Real Estate and saw the accident from his desk and has pictures of the Helicopter in front of his office. She was hurt bad and that crosswalk is very dangereous. We hope and pray she is ok.

45 Dragon September 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Ms Obringer, thank you SO MUCH for letting us know about this! Even if it’s not until 2012, at least something is planned. Thank you!

46 anonamom September 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Just because the “design budget” puts that crosswalk light into the 2011 allocations budget doesn’t mean it can’t be fast-tracked by a new board. The budget for it is just $75K. Fixing the Clayton Rd Freeway would certainly be a better use of the Measure C/J funds right now than building the road and bridge behind WaterWorld.

From the start, this should have been tacked on to the Developer requirements when that housing development was put there. This is part of my complaints about infill with no traffic mitigation built into the project.

47 Maggie September 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

@john holt well john i was right there i stopped walking and she got hit i will NEVER get that image out of my mind they probably thought she was younger cuz shes like 5’2 I GO TO SCHOOL WITH HER I THINK I WOULD KNOW HER AGE. geez.

48 Talking out my #2 Orafice September 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM

@John Holt

Children’s hosptial Emergency Medicine Department treats patients from birth up to age 18. Here is the link.

Other departments at children’s hospital treat patients up to 21 years of age.

Try a little research before “dumping” erroneous information on the blog.

49 Shay September 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM

@John Holt…. The girl is 15 years old, she was taken to Childrens Hospital Oakland. Maggie was right there with her, so be nice and respectful! Would u have liked to see that!?….
She came up with some broken bones in her shoulder area (as far as we know) but thankfully no head or spinal injuries that doctors could find. We are very thankful that she is ok!

50 Dave September 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I agree that speeding is out of control all across the Diablo Valley!! What is unfortunate is people speeding who know that they are not supposed to do so, but just decide to anyway without regard for the safety of others. I have also noticed that so many drivers run the light where the canal trail crosses, and sometimes will do so after it has been red for as long as 10 seconds, because they know that there is no chance of striking a car there, and don’t care if they strike and kill a trail user.

51 Jill September 28, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Thanks for letting us know Maggie. I am sorry. It must have been devastating to witness and to know that you were so close to being hit, too. My prayers are with you and your friend.
Interesting, my husband said they were clearing a spot for a trauma helicoptor this evening at John Muir. I wonder if they were considering taking her there or if that is just a coincidence.

52 Drvrdadca September 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Hey Old Man Bob, its now 10:32 and the CooCoo Times still has no story about it. If you want the news and you want it fast tune into to the Mayor he will get you the scoop faster than Baskin Robbins can get you a $1. cone on Tuesdays.

53 Oliver September 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Maggie- It doesnt matter how old or how tall she was, the only thing that matters now is her recovery and the safety of the area. Stop typing nonsense in cap locks to sound pissed off, you obnoxious teen. The information you’re providing has no use to it.

54 John Lilly September 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM

@Maggie – that sucks. I’m sorry you had to see that. Maybe ask your folks if you could talk to a counselor real quick.

To the City of Concord: How much money has Helen Allen wasted that could have been spent on traffic calming measures like the grooves on the Bay Bridge ‘S’ curve? Pretty cheap. Pretty effective.

55 Drvrdadca September 28, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Oliver you are a huge A’HOLE!

This was her friend that she saw get mowed down. I am guessing that she is very upset and if she wants to TYPE IN CAPS WE WILL LET HER.

You need to take your meds and get strapped back down before you hurt yourself.

56 Maggie September 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

@oliver you sound like someone people dont like to be around i saw my friend get hit by a car and just becuase i typed in caps lock means im obnoxious? its just caps lock and the doctors said she will probably be fine. and thanks to everybody else for the kindness

57 Radar September 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Old Man Bob its 11:15PM and still no story on the CCTimes. Now you have it, Claycord rules!

58 NiteMom September 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I know for a fact that Children’s takes children older than 14. Sheesh, what an asinine comment!

My prayers are with this child, 5 or 15 doesn’t matter, she is still a child. Prayers are with her family and also with the driver who struck this child. Thankfully, the person stopped.

59 Terry Kremin September 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Hi Carlyn – nice to see you on here!

My problem is why does it take us paying for two studies and referring for years to be able to see something that is right in front of our eyes?

Why are we requesting money spent on studies instead of our council being able to think on their own and see how dangerous that is, and do something about it, and do something soon?

I have seen too many close calls at that crosswalk, and also too many times almost getting rear ended when stopping for people to cross there, to think it really took 2 studies to show we needed it. I know planners – I am married to one – they need brought back to reality on regular basis in their work. You ask them a question that should take a person a day to create a cost/benefit analysis excel page, and it will take 12 months, 12 planners and they will return a 200 page document.

We just spent a night and a day at Children’s with my daughter, and I spoke with numerous doctors there – they are really good, and even though over-worked show amazing skills dealing with and helping our children. I know they will work their magic for this young one and lets start getting lights where we obviously need them, when we need them. Whether it is me or not is irrelevant, but what we need is a council that can make decisions when decisions are clearly needed, not hand of decision making to others and years of waiting.

60 Terry Kremin September 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM

@Maggie –
I am so sorry you had to see a friend in that situation. Like Oliver posted, please take a bit of time and drop in to one of your school counselors, and whoever they can bring in to talk with you.

It might do nothing, or it might help. Its a tiny bit of time. If it doesn’t help, you are where you are, so no loss. If it helps, and I believe it will, you will be far ahead. We all need a little help working through things and experiences some times.

The doctors are taking care of your friend – take care of yourself.

61 Slow down! September 29, 2010 at 3:14 AM

I find it hard to believe speed was not a factor. Cars coming flying down Clayton especially as they pass port Chicago and approach that crosswalk for whatever reason. I know that area well and fear for my life when I have to cross there. Concord PD needs to step up the enforcement in that area. How about some radar enforcement and lots of tickets!

62 anonymous September 29, 2010 at 6:50 AM

that crossing is VERY dangerous and i’m so sorry that someone had to be hurt this badly for the situation to get any notice.

between the bart station, the islamic worship center and the residences that area receives a lot of pedestrian traffic (on top of all the vehicle traffic). i came through there one evening awhile back. a mother pushing a stroller had just left the worship center and was in that crosswalk. it was her white scarf that actually caught my eye and gave me plenty of time to safely slowdown. (i wasn’t speeding)

that crosswalk MUST have something done to it before something even worse happens!

63 Renee September 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Clayton Road is extremely dangerous. There are drivers on that road that will do 50 mph and it scares the heck out of me. I work on Clayton Rd and I am just waiting for a car to crash and come through the front of our office. I have seen some pretty close calls at that cross walk, it is definately one of the worst in Concord. I agree that it should not take 2 studies for someone in the planning department to recognize the need for a stoplight there. That is rediculous. The city wastes too much money on the obvious. It is even more disturbing that this young girl (yes, as far as I’m concerned at 15 you’re still a “little girl”) was hit trying to cross. How many people being hit by cars on Clayton Rd is it going to take before the city jumps into action and remedies these obvious spots for pedestrians. The driver of the car may not have been speeding, but even doing the speed limit will cause injury or death to a pedestrian. CPD doing a “speed sting” and handing out tickets is not going to remedy this problem. They did it for a long time at the Roslyn/Clayton Rd area and now with the stop light there they aren’t there anymore and I can attest to the fact that people are STILL flying through there. I pray this young girl and her friend Maggie will get counseling after this and that she recovers quickly from her injuries and thankful she is not dead. It is terrible one was hit and the other witnessed it….the driver too will need some help, I can’t even imagine the guilt feeling he/she is having. Everyone please slow down and pay attention to your driving. We can all make the streets safer by being responsible. By the way…CLAYCORD 1 CCTIMES 0. Good job Mayor!

64 Feebo September 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Although it may have come across as insensitive, John Holt is mostly correct. The CoCo trauma policy indicated a threshold of 14 and under for transport to Pediatric trauma facilities. However this can be superceded or overruled by one of many different variables, which I suspect may have happened.

65 Sophie September 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Mr. Mayor,

Could you, please, update the girl’s condition since there are so many people touched by this, and so many worried about her recovery. I wish her a full and speedy recovery; she is in my prayers.

Sophie

66 BagsFlyFree September 29, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I’ve been rear ended in this same intersection. City get a clue!!!!.. Why not install a pedestrian tunnel (like the tube underneath YV road on the same trail!!) underneath clayton so the trail so traffic can breeze through without vehicle issues? I’d prefer the tunnel idea as its less of an eye sore than any bridge idea. Rinse and repeat on the Concord Blvd intersection and Cowell road intersection as well..

67 Dan September 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM

The last update I received (late last night) was that she has a broken shoulder, broken clavicle (sp?) and fractures on her face near one eye and many “minor” bruises and abrasions – but there seem to be no life threatening injuries or problems right now.

Thank you.

Maggie’s dad

68 Antler September 29, 2010 at 11:25 AM

BagsFlyFree at #66 ~ ~ ~ Unfortunately, tunnels become homeless hangouts and/or dangerous for pedestrians in another way because once you enter the tunnel, you are in effect trapped and no-one up on the streets or sidewalks can see what is happening to you. There should be a stop light there. The sun is very blinding to drivers traveling westward on Clayton Road and Concord Boulevard in late afternoon.

Along the same lines, there have been several injuries and two deaths at the intersection of Glazier Drive and Concord Boulevard. Anyone trying to exit Glazier has a blind intersection on a curve and has to play Russian Roulette and to floor the accelerator in hopes of making it out safely. Either there needs to be a signal and a crosswalk there (not just a flashing yellow light, which drivers on Concord Boulevard would ignore), or else no outbound turns in EITHER direction should be permitted out of Glazier, or else the fence behind the house on the southwest corner of Glazier should be lowered to 3 feet to comply with the City’s sight-triangle at intersections and driveways ordinance. I have only been sending letters about this problem for 40 years now!

We seem to have adequate regulations re many, many problems discussed in the Claycord community. But the City and City Attorney MUST enforce the regulations!

69 Dave September 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Speeding and reckless driving are serious issues everywhere these days. They scare me more than Islamic terrorists do. Conservatives like Sean Hannity, Rudy Giuliani, Oliver North, Sarah Palin, Michelle Malkin, Dick Cheney and his daughter Liz Cheney, and other conservatives seem to think that Islamic terrorists like the ones who changed the New York skyline 9 years ago are the biggest danger to Americans in their everyday lives. And those who believe them are addicted to the network that they appear on which is The Fox News Channel.

70 MissMelyssa September 29, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Ah, that’s why traffic wasn’t moving.

And wow, I am late to this party.

71 Jessica September 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I live really close to this location, and I believe that in the 9mnths I have been living there I have seen 2 other similar accidents happen in the same area. Very sad

72 Kay September 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Dave,

Have some respect for the poor girl who was hit by the car and take your liberal ranting elsewhere. If we cared how you felt about those things we would ask. Thanks.

73 Mad Mom September 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Maggie (& Maggie’s dad)
Thanks for the updates. Maggie, I’m proud of the way you’ve handled yourself in this forum. Some people can be rather rude and insensitive.
I hope your friend gets better soon. So glad to know that she should be all right. I hope that when you see she’s better, that awful image will begin to fade.
Stay safe :)

74 Terry Kremin September 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM

@Mr Mayor: How about a link/address for cards/flowers? We will be at Children’s tomorrow for my daughter. I used this to help explain why it is so important for her to pay extra attention at roads, and to always wait for us at corners. Now she feels very sad for her.

@Antler

“The city” and city attorney press what the council tells them to. but I know you know this. The city council has been lax on this issue obviously for many years, favoring rapid access to and from Clayton and SOY over Concord residents’ safety. But you are absolutely right that the council should be taking a bigger interest in fixing real safety issues. Too much emphasis on executive decisions instead of real world problems.

Having the ‘shut down lane’ at Olympic only makes that area more dangerous as people in the two right most lanes race to get ahead of each other. It is ridiculous that the right most lane hasn’t been made a right turn only YEARS ago. Traffic engineers think make traffic move, not necessarily what makes this area safer.

75 Anon September 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Generally speaking — drivers have become very inconsiderate; and, as a result, dangerous. I’m not speaking of the driver in this incident, but drivers in general. Drivers rail at pedestrians as they cross the street — even when children are crossing. Cities are installing signs reminding drivers that pedestrians have the right of way.

No matter the circumstance, drivers should always yield to the more vulnerable.

I also agree that Clayton Road is a hazard to pedestrians. I’m glad that this driver stopped and pray for a full recovery for the child.

76 Maggie's Mom September 30, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Is there something we can do to get the city to fix that intersection? We have asked Maggie to cross where the light is after a less serious incident last year and most of the time she and her school friends do that, but not when they go to that gas station. Plus, they really shouldn’t have to and kids will be kids and think they are invincible.

If there is a crosswalk there, it should be safe to cross, but it isn’t and that’s wrong. Thank goodness her friend will be okay as broken bones will heal, but if nothing is done about this intersection, some day someone will die there.

77 Terry Kremin September 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM

@Maggie’s Mom –

It is in process, after two studies to determine if one was needed. Bureaucrats and planners love processes. Clear safety issues like this one should have to go through multiple studies for people to be able to make a decision. It is planned for 2012.

It should have been done, not just studied, 2 or more years ago. Hopefully the powers that be can get out of their over-planning, reactive routine and fast track this. Terrible that it takes a child to get seriously injured before things happen.

If enough people hammer the City Council, maybe they will notice and get this done now before more people get hurt.

78 Drvrdadca September 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Hey Old Man Bob, do you believe the story now?

Girl recovering after being struck by car in Concord
By Robert Salonga
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 09/30/2010 09:23:32 AM PDT

40 hours after the fact, but they printed a story, so it must be true.

Way to be on top of the news of the area CooCoo Times. By the way, my dog loves chewing on your rubbish.