AAA offers free tow & ride home to drinkers

September 2, 2010 · 25 comments

If you didn’t expect to drink so much this coming holiday weekend, and find yourself in need of a ride home, then AAA has the answer for you….

As part of AAA’s ongoing commitment to provide safety and protection to motorists, the AAA Tipsy Tow Program offers a free tow home for drinking drivers in Northern California, Nevada, and Utah from 6:00 p.m. on September 6, until 6:00 a.m. on September 7.

Members and non-members alike can call 800-222-4357 (AAA-HELP) for a free tow of up to five miles.

Just tell the AAA operator, ‘I need a Tipsy Tow,’ and a truck will be on its way. Service is restricted to a one-way ride for the driver and his or her vehicle to the driver’s home.

Be sure to write the number down, just in case you need a ride home!

1 hawkmid September 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM

I wonder how many drunks will want to call and have to wait for a tow truck.

2 ConcordCatLady September 2, 2010 at 8:06 AM

are you sure you have the dates right?? 6:00 p.m. on September 6, until 6:00 a.m. on September 7? Just seems like a weird stretch of time being as most people have to work Sept 7. I will be doing my drinking Saturday and Sunday night : )

3 Laura September 2, 2010 at 8:08 AM

What a thoughtful idea from AAA. However it would make more sense if it was actually during the weekend instead of Monday night to Tuesday morning.

4 nikki p September 2, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I hope people take advantage of this. I don’t need anyone crashing into my house this weekend. ;)

5 Buddy Can You Spare a Ride? September 2, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Like a drunk is going to call AAA.

Only a true friend will call for a drunk.

6 Anon September 2, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Great idea AAA, one can always take a cab home but leaving your car behind is very hard.

7 lauren September 2, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I go to a bar where the bar tender calls in the tipsy tow for you :)

8 Blah Blah blah September 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM

is that bar the clayton club???? thanks to tow drivers calling for tows to get home from their friends??? ;op

9 Ian September 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM

It’s about time someone does this. It should be every holiday. I’ll consider joining AAA now just because of this policy. Who knows, maybe I’ll even use it.

10 Ian September 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Have to agree with the date thing though, Monday night? really? Should be Sunday night, preferably the whole weekend.

11 Insuranceman September 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Calling a tow truck to pick you up when your tippsy might seem weird, but it is a whole lote cheaper than paying $14,750 for the DUI you will get if pulled over. Way to go AAA:) You are one of the last true honest Companies. Thanks for also offering Life Insurance. It saved my neighbors family:)

12 lauren September 2, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Blah Blah,

Yes it is :) My fiancé works for AAA and has helped with tipsy tows however not many people know about it. Hopefully more people will use it this year.

13 man in tan September 2, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Take a cab home if you’re tipsy. AAA takes to long to show up for emergency calls on owner requested tows as it is. They have a horrible track record in my beat anyway. Insuranceman is right to avoid the big $$$ for a DUI but it’s better to call a cab and get home. Waiting on triple A to show will have people frustrated, giving up and driving instead. And why that date??

14 ConcordCatLady September 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I’ve had AAA almost my entire life and had to call on them for a tow several times, including twice in this last year (damn F.o.r.d.) and they have always showed up within half an hour…sometimes even faster.

15 Blah Blah blah September 2, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Lauren- We actually know each other and my husband use to tow with your fiancée at a certain tow company that is like family to both of us. lol. I just won’t use my real name on here. lol ::wink:: I am too opinionated for that. But my hubby and you know who (Cough cough) use to call in tows when they drank before tipsy tow started. lol

16 gimme a break September 2, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Oh great, can’t wait for my AAA rates to go up because now I’m funding drunk drivers a ride home. How about just don’t drink and drive.

17 Ceiba September 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

AAA is the best $50 bucks a year you will ever spend!

18 Happy Customer September 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I too am a very Happy Customer with AAA. Best $50 I’v ever spent. Saved me twice when I was to broke to pay for a tow.

19 Tarkus September 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Hmmmm, maybe I should go up to the wine country and not worry about the drive back.

20 Otis Campbell September 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM

This should not be confused with the AA 12 step Tipsy Toes Program.

21 Drvrdadca September 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Like a good neighbor… oh wait wrong company

22 AAA Driver September 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Its only 5 miles for free & after that is $12 a mile.

23 Goat Head September 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Better to go to AA instead of the bar in the first place and if you get caught Drunk Driving the mandatory AA meetings that the judge will send you to will be the easiest part. Easy Dose It.

24 Breezy September 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM

What are you suppose to do after the first 5 miles?!?!?! Get out and walk!?!?! Just get a designated driver already!

25 Tow Truck Guy September 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM

3 A started the tipsy tow program many years ago. It is nice to see them actually advertising it. I would think that the Northern CA 3A club would have allowed the Mayor to use a picture of a 3A truck actually painted Northern CA 3A colors. For everyone that will be too drunk to drive using the program remember it will be the Yellow and Blue tow trucks coming to tow you home for free. The rest of us will still be charging. full price