Pixieland’s President: Please Remove Our Photos & Logo Immediately

July 20, 2010 21:35 pm · 158 comments

Looks like somebody has a bad case of the Mondays Tuesdays!

This afternoon, we put a story up about half-price tickets at Pixieland, along with Pixieland’s logo. Well, apparently Pixieland didn’t like the free advertising, and wrote the following email to CLAYCORD.com and also to “The Frugal Find”, who, like CLAYCORD, had the story up on their blog.

Here’s the email from Pixieland President Cindy Brumley….

Mr. Mayor,

You do not have permission to print the Pixieland photos or logo on your site. Please remove it immediately.

Cindy Brumley, President, Pixieland Amusement Park

2740 E. Olivera Road

Concord, CA 94519

office 925-676-9612

email cindy@pixieland.com

No joke, this is for real, we don’t make these things up!

Sorry for trying to help, and I’m also sorry I just spent $50 at your establishment this past weekend.

And for those of you wondering, that is why we no longer have the story up on CLAYCORD.com.

UPDATE: I just received the following email from Pixieland President Cindy Brumley….

Mr. Mayor,

Thank you for your email. I am sorry that this has caused such an uproar. Certainly not my intention.

It can be very dangerous for a business to allow the use of it’s photos and logo without knowlege and it is always appreciated to have a heads up.

Your readers are very protective of your work and they certainly were aware that you were trying to do a good thing.

My apology to you for my misunderstanding your intentions.

Our 50% off deal is our way of giving back to the community, our way of trying to do a good thing. Hopefully, your readers will be forgiving of an honest mistake.

Cindy Brumley

Apology accepted.

The email from Cindy came 7-minutes after the story was published on CLAYCORD.com.

101 Sarah July 21, 2010 at 6:59 AM

This will blow over. It was a bad misunderstanding, and a knee-jerk response. No one else has ever stuck their foot in their mouth before? I’ll still take my kids there. It’s too bad that this happened, but she should be crucified for it.

(and good-on-ya Mayor for offering to help out a claycordian!)

102 MGentry July 21, 2010 at 7:03 AM

“I didn’t do anything, I simply posted the email from the President of Pixieland. She did it to herself, I was only trying to help out.”

There are some things that should be handled by adults behind closed doors — without a lot of dirty-laundry-airing. I think this is one of them. Yes, Cindy does look bad… but the Mayor/Julia (imho) also looks bad (petty, immature, vindictive, etc.) by not dealing with this drama-free and moving on.

“People wanted to know why the post was removed”… an answer like: “There was a misunderstanding between Pixieland management and the websites featuring the promotion, but it was cleared up and I’ll be re-posting the link shorty.” would have been a more appropriate response, perhaps.

103 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Seems to me she was having a bad day. I am sure we all say things sometimes without thinking first. If my kids were younger, I’d take them to Pixieland.

104 sv_1 July 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Permission to run a story in the press? Is she now a czar?
Peoples Republic of Pixieland has a nice ring…

While I can’t say that I will never return, her attitude will make it less likely.

105 Former Pixieland User July 21, 2010 at 7:29 AM

I am organizing a rally to protest Pixieland. As soon as I have the facebook site up and running I will let everyone know. Together I believe we can shut this place down.

106 MisterWriter July 21, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Sean, also email me your resume/job experiences. I can’t promise anything but may also know some people… andre@myconcordian.com (The Concordian newspaper)

As for Pixieland, given that Concord has so FEW places that it can call its own, having an amusement park is nice. I’ve never met Cindy and she has yet to advertise in my paper, but she screwed up on the PR – deal with it and move on. How about putting this angst towards changes at the city level? There is an election coming up and a chance to change some council members

107 ACC July 21, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Wow, Cindy sounds like she’s going thru a menopausal break. I’m taken aback by her initial email. I go to Pixieland about twice a month with my grandson as he LOVES riding the planes…I didn’t know about the 1/2 price promotion until I read this mess. Pixieland is a Concord institution, Why would you want to hide the promotion from the public? Especially on a blog that promotes Concord. Did she not know about Claycord,com? That’s hard to believe. I won’t say I won’t go back as I LOVE taking my grandson there. (I took my daughter there when she was little), but I will think twice before spending extra money there. I like to support local business – I go out of my way to support local business but this Cindy lady doesn’t seem to have Concord’s best interest at heart. So she shouldn’t have my extra money,

108 Sassy July 21, 2010 at 7:54 AM

My gut tells me that Cindy’s knee jerk reaction had everything to do with not wanting the 1/2 price tickets to be advertised and nothing to do with logos. We rarely go to Pixieland because it is WAY overpriced so the 1/2 price tickets would’ve definitely got us there. Too bad Cindy demanded you take down the advertising …

109 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 8:11 AM

I also know Cindy and she has really improved Pixieland since she has taken over. It’s a nice place to take the kids and it’s clean, small and friendly unlike other children’s places. This has all been blown way out of proportion and I hope you all just let it rest and forget about it. What if every mistake you made got blown up like this? Seriously, let go.. there’s bigger things to worry about.

110 To err is human July 21, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Okay, she made a mistake. We’ve all done it in our careers. Pixieland is a small business and unlike a big corporation, it doesn’t have a team of lawyers and marketers to handle the media. She realized her mistake and apologized. Don’t be so venomous. Pixieland is a local treasure. Don’t deny your kids because you need to hold a petty grudge.

111 Julia @ The Frugal Find July 21, 2010 at 8:30 AM

The image, details of the promotion, and everything else was sent TO ME by Savvy Source ON behalf of Pixieland who approved all images and details to be used as a part of their 50% off tickets sale. Somehow Cindy was left out of the loop and instead of actually reading either of our posts and asking someone at Pixieland who may actually know what is going on, she jumped on the Mayor and I. Even when she realized she should have know she still said in her email that I should have let her know I’d be posting the image, what?! Unfortunately it was a really good deal and I was very happy to help promote a deal in our hometown.

112 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Free press is always a good thing. It’s usually good, even if it’s really bad. Actually, I’m more interested in Pixieland than I was before, just because of a little tiff.

113 Cop E. Right July 21, 2010 at 8:37 AM

It’s very important for the Pixieland Brand-Name to be protected from poachers.

If Pixieland does not work vigorously to defend their Brand, the next thing you know, there’ll be:

Pixielandclaycord.com
Pixieland Auto Parts Store
Pixieland Warehouse Club
Pixieland Gentleman’s Club
Pixieland Fruits and Produce
Pixieland Gas & Liquor

Etc.

I totally support the effort to not misunderstand that other establishments using Pixieland in their name our not the actual Pixieland.

114 Dangerous July 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

This bozo must have graduated from the Nancy Polosi school of advance illogic!
This type of thinking should cause people with degrees and business experience to look closely at their true value!

115 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

What a way to wind down a crazy week in Claycord.

116 lorrielovesparties July 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Yeah, we won’t be going to Pixieland anytime soon. I thought of bringing the kids this weekend, but we’ll find something else to do.

117 Smokeysmountain July 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM

This post is for Cindy; I have spent literally thousands of dollars at Pixieland over the years and have posted a few different stories on it … The most recent mention was about the turtles in the lake … My kids love it there and always have a great time however I always leave feeling a bit had by the 50,60 and 70 dollars that I spend there in a very short time … A 1/2 price coupon should be on the frikkn news and all over the buss and every where else that might be seen by moms and dads … I agree with what has been said here that you were way concerned that we were all gonna get a deal from too much info … Shame on you !

118 Not Anon July 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I sent Ms.Cindy a E-mail explaining how I felt about her first letter to the Mayor. Unless she personally responds to me, I will not take my kids there anymore. I bought season tickets to Six Flags for the whole family and we will be going there this summer whenever we need a amusement park fix.

119 jtkatec July 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Former Pixieland User – and you can apply your skills which you gained at the protest in WC, right?

You are too funny

120 Tired of "She made a mistake" July 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

You guys are completely missing the point. My question – HOW do you make THAT mistake? Seriously, she didn’t pay attention to ANYTHING, at all, or she would have either read the article or clicked the link and noticed that it took her to savvy source, where she could purchase said tickets. And maybe at that time she would have realized, ohhhhhhh, I signed up for this!

And even after all that, she comes back with a half-assed apology to The Frugal Find – not even apologizing, but saying The Frugal Find should have notified her in advance, and saying how “dangerous” it can be. Yeah, I’ve always been terrified of promotion on blogs.

121 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I agree with #102 — this whole thing makes the Mayor look bad and should have been handled behind the scenes. Yeah, Pixieland made a mistake but she immediately apologized. Hardly a major story here, folks, and certainly no reason to boycott the park.

BTW, I went there for the first time last week with my grandson and he loved it. It was extremely clean, well-managed, and everyone had a great time.

122 John Hemm July 21, 2010 at 10:16 AM

The world has gotten to be a very paranoid place for some people, and unfortuantely some people are overly paranoid. I do not think a little ride park for children,that is not located in a large city is cause for concern. Why Ms. Brumbley acted like is protecting the image of photos of Michael Jackson’s nude autopsy photo’s is really sad. It’s a child’s playground. Ms. Brumbley should be happy for the FREE PUBLICITY and keep her self important ego quiet, end of story!

123 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM

WOW!! You can’t take back the bullet once it has left the gun. Too bad Cindy that you would say something like that. The only hurting you did was to your business.

124 RB July 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM

MGentry wrote: ” ‘People wanted to know why the post was removed”… an answer like: “There was a misunderstanding between Pixieland management and the websites featuring the promotion, but it was cleared up and I’ll be re-posting the link shorty.” would have been a more appropriate response, perhaps.”

Hey, who you calling shorty???? >:|

125 anon July 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Cindy thanks for the apology.
I am sure you are still kicking yourself for accidently starting this uproar. I am sure it was all a big misunderstanding on your part especially if you had no idea how great Claycord and Frugal Find are to our community. I am sure you can make it all better by offering 75% off tickets to anyone who mentions CLAYCORD or FRUGAL FIND when purchasing their tickets for the month of August :) Might be interesting to see how much business they can drum up for you.
Then you could in return advertise with them…………seems like a win win situation.

126 MissMelyssa July 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Wow! This is quite the comment log.

I’m learning from this. Gives me the impression that trying to help out a business (for FREE) just gets you a slap in the face. Um yeah, I think I’ll be taking my business elsewhere.

So, I wonder. Does yelp get a lot of rude emails since there is an option for the users to upload pics of the establisments?

And as always, thanks to Julia and The Mayor for always doing a wonderful job with shopping tips and current news.

127 SSQ July 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

OK, it’s over….anyone willing to boycott please remember it will hurt the little ones and i’m sure they love going there. Cindy made an error in judgement and it is time to forget about it. I’m sure she had a sleepless night let’s just go on with more important things.
Cindy, just like any good buisness person you should have all your facts and don’t let emotion run your decisions. If you took 60 seconds to think of a response I’m sure it would not have been that one.
But I won’t boycott ya!!!

128 SSQ July 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Oh just told my husband this story…he had buisness dealings with Cindy in the past and told me she was one of his “difficult” customers.
Cindy sounds like you have a reputation and it doesn’t always get what you want….
Sorry I just had to add this….

129 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM

no good deed goes unpunsihed and the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Try to do something nice and promote a positive thing and get shot down… ouch.

and I honestly don’t think Pixie Playland can afford to have less business, but maybe they can.
How dare you mayor help promote their business and encourage parents to take their children.. shame, shame on you.

Just to boycott Pixie I’m going to have some children and NOT take them there.

130 Concord Mom July 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM

My God, people, let’s all kick Cindy while she’s down, huh? Geez. Haven’t any of you overreacted and then felt immediately bad about it? I sure have. Look, she sent off a sort of rude email and then pretty quickly sent a sincere apology for it. It’s no big deal, I am sure she feels bad. What an unforgiving lot many of you are. I will still go to Pixie Playland with my kids sometimes and I appreciate and took advantage of the 50% discount tickets. I am rolling ym eyes at all these “ooh, I won’t take MY kids there anymore!” comments. An important lesson to teach your kids is FORGIVENESS and COMPASSION when someone makes a mistake.

131 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM

now I’m sorry that I passed that great deal info along to friends that have children.

sheesh.

132 steve Weir July 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM

OK, let’s not lose Pixie Playland; it is a Concord institution.

This is from memory and experience. My recollection is that Pixie Playland came into being when King Norman’s, in the Park ‘n Shop Center, was forced to close its amusement park to accommodate another tenant. So, King Norman’s equipment was sold to a private entity. However, the new owner needed a place to plant the equipment, thus the deal with the City for the current location.

Later on, in the 1980’s, the owner wanted to sell, and the City seemed to be the only interested party. I was on the Council at that time, and the asking price for the equipment was outrageous. With a little research, I found that we could purchase brand new equipment for virtually the same price as what was being asked by the past owner.

Here’s where my memory fades; I do not recall what process was used to transfer the right to use the land (lease agreement) for a private operator to continue to operate the business.

I’m guessing that most/all of the equipment has been replaced from the old King Norman’s time. (In the 1950’s I was under 10 and living in Pleasant Hill when I first saw King Norman’s and it was the most magical thing (along with Fairy Land in Oakland) that I had ever seen.

Anyway, I hope that this 55+ year tradition of having a childrens amusement park in Concord survives for years to come.

Can anyone add to this history?

133 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

anonamom has it right…best corndogs in the world!

134 ondeafears July 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Why don’t we organize a candlelight vigil at Pixie Playland?

135 mom of many July 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I don’t buy the apology. I think she only responded to the nasty comments. Never going there again. Over priced anyhow!

136 Anon July 21, 2010 at 12:55 PM

No difference. Wasn’t going there before all this mess and still not going.

137 anonamom July 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

@ # 133—I have never had a CornDog there. So I don’t think I would have said that. Maybe number mix-up? Anyway, when we went to Pixie Playland, when the kids were small, we could just afford the tickets, not the food. We did pic-nics with the ducks, and the kids played in the creek looking for crawdads. I still pic-nic with the ducks occasionally, but the filth of apparent homeless camps by the foot-bridge kind of take the fun away. Maybe Cindy should address that issue with the City.

138 Baileys Mom July 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Unfortunately her apology letter had a bit of ‘blame the victim’ to it. When you apologize, and mean it, you don’t tell the person you’re talking to ‘well, you should have done this and then we wouldn’t have had that problem.’

139 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

LOL Mayor! no response from mom/charlie hugh.

140 emilyj July 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Gosh this sure got to be drama. I posted when it was first up I was going to check out the 1/2 price tickets…well thanks Cindy you saved me some bucks cause now I’m not. There’s plenty to do in our lovely claycord. I agree w anon 10:26

141 anon July 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM

What’s that they say, “opinions are like a**holes….
This is probably the most “press” Pixie Playland has had in a while, will Cindy’s business suffer? I don’t think so!

142 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Well, I guess we know how smart you have to be to be president of Pixieland…

143 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM

by anonamom on Jul 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

You are right .. I agree with madmom!!! lol

144 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM

What?????
STOP and chillax.
THANK YOU, Mr Mayor for posting the STORY. I was able to read it, (both senteches/paragraphs) realize that if I clicked on the FRUGAL FIND website, I got the details which lead me to SAAVY SOURCE, where I signed up, ordered 5 books of 10 tickets for half price. I then LIKED the Frugal Find on my Facebook and sent out messages and emails to several other local moms to sign up.

I belong to a local parent oriented non-profit in CoCo county, and have several times for fund raisers solicited Pixieland for contributions. They have been AWESOME in suppporting our group (which supports other groups, including the Bay Area Crisis Nursery), donating wonderful prizes (like free tickets and birthday packages). The staff at Pixieland has always been very helpful.

We try to get to Pixieland as often as it can be afforded (and yes, it’s a wee pricey, so we take advantage of specials they offer/coupons). It’s a fun, clean, cute place, unique and close-by. I’m glad it’s there, it’s a staple of Concord as far as I am concerned. It makes Concord just a little more enjoyable of a city to live in.

For his part, Mr Mayor’s blog is AWESOME. Literally, my first local news source.

All parties involved are the good folks in the community. Let’s not tear at each other any further over this. No one is perfect, we’ve all had days we’ve made arses of ourselves. We can minimize the arse-ness if we stop the ridiculous comments.

145 anonymous July 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I think it’s ridiculous that she says she misunderstood. how in the world can you misunderstand that someone is giving you free advertising? i haven’t been to pixieland in years as my kids are older. was thinking about taking my neice and nephew but now that i know about charging adults when they have to ride with little ones? forget it!

146 Mimi July 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Too little, too late Pixieland. You’re idiots for not even KNOWING who Claycord.com is and how much they contribute to the community. We are DONE with YOU!!

147 Psh July 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Apology NOT accepted!

148 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM

All I have to say is I love that Claycord is on top of the stories the minute they happen. I have turned several friends onto this website because it is far more useful than the newspaper and TV for finding out what is happening right here in our town. Thank you Mr. Mayor for keeping us all so thoroughly informed…whether good or bad…you are doing a great job!!!!

149 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Two words: Free Advertising.

Some people just have no business sense.

150 Protest Pixieland July 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

This is absurd. This establishment needs to be protested and picketed to the full extent allowed by law. I can’t believe we let something like this continue to exist in our community.

151 Sassy July 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Pixieland is incredibly pricey. Tickets for rides are $1.75 per ticket … for my child & I to ride the train (2 tickets each) one time around the track it costs me $7.00. The same price goes for riding the roller coaster… $7.00. To ride the cars (1 ticket each) it costs me $3.50. Basically I have spent $21 for my child and I to ride 4 rides … That 1/2 price coupon would’ve been really nice … Too bad Cindy required the advertising be taken down from this site. Pixieland would’ve gotten my business, but not now. It is MUCH more appealing to go to Discovery Kingdom and pay $60 ($30 per person) for two of us to ride unlimited rides & see shows for an entire day.

152 Anonymous July 21, 2010 at 9:59 PM

you know what I just realized… I think the only reason she apologized is because she saw what a backlash she caused…. i don’t feel the apology was sincere, nor would she have written it had there not been such a firestorm

153 Cathy July 22, 2010 at 5:54 AM

Why should a “business person have a heads up?” as Cindy stated. She also wrote, “As a writer and a business person I’m sure you can understand how I totally misunderstood this whole unfortunate event..” Um, no, in fact, I don’t understand how putting a picture and logo of a business, along with a nice coupon, and/or discount on a web site could harm the business. “Dangerous to a business?” The only “danger” to the business is probably Cindy. See how many people aren’t going to patronize Pixieland (is it OK if I write “Pixieland” on here, or is it too “dangerous”?) as a result of Cindy’s heavy-handed tactics?

154 SK July 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Cathy, you had the same thought that I did. I don’t understand how being a writer and a business person has anything to do with misunderstanding “this whole unfortunate event.” She writes her apology using the passive voice, as if none of this had been caused by her own misjudgment.

155 Pro-Pixieland July 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM

To #105- Are you joking?

I understand where some people are coming from, but how many of you own a business like this one? Maybe she was worried about the lack of control she might have if random advertisements pop up and she has never had any contact them before; perhaps she thought something would have to be returned in some form of a favor. Who knows! Have any of you stopped to think level-headedly and realize that this business you want “shut down” helps support a family? Similar to yours, I’m sure.
Go ahead and complain about the overpriced tickets and how much money you spend there- but at the end of the day when you walk out through the Pixieland gates, does your child have a smile on his/her face? Isn’t that what matters?
I’m sure you would complain about paying to get into Disneyland or Six Flags as well and they are thriving, multi-billion dollar corportations, yet you are never boycotting them. Now, I know Pixieland is no Disneyland; it isn’t a multi-billion dollar corporation- It’s a family business that’s just trying to bring some joy to their community while making it through this economy.

If you have never been there and now have no interest in going because of these malicious comments, than I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you let yourself be swayed by angry readers and I’m sorry that you don’t open your mind for a second to realize that Cindy just made a hasty judgement. Haven’t we all at one time or another?

And if you are just going to “spread the word” about this apparent “shithole” (Thanks #18- Very eloquent of you.), then you’re just as bad as my fellow highschool classmates spreading senseless gossip.

PS. The term President means the leader of something. Be it a union, organization, business, or a country. She is not intending to sound pompous with that title.

156 eknirb July 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Way off base. You can take a photo and post it and do not need permission. It is not being used for commercial and/or advertising purposes. Doh.

157 Kona July 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM

105 & 150: laughing so hard, tears came to my eyes! You are kidding… right? If so, it was worth reading though all the comments! :0)

158 Mrs. Little White Dog July 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Cindy is a goofball but Pixieland is a Concord Icon and we should support it anyway. Concord FIRST! ignore her comments shes a reactionary.
Take your kids anyway.