DROP-OFF LOCATION FOR UNUSED MEDICATION

June 23, 2010 · 32 comments

The following is from the City of Concord:

The Concord Police Department at 1350 Galindo St. is now a drop-off location for expired or unused prescription medications.

Medications can be deposited in the bin in the Police Department lobby, which is marked “Pharmaceutical Disposal Only.” Syringes or needles cannot be disposed of in the bin.

“Incorrectly disposing of old medications can be very hazardous to the environment,” says Assistant City Manger Valerie Barone. “If you flush them down the toilet, some of the chemicals in the medications never break down and are eventually found in our waterways where they are harmful to aquatic life.”

To dispose of unwanted medications, pour pills into a quart-size sealable plastic bag. Liquids should be left in their bottles, but should be put into a sealed plastic bag to prevent leakage.

Recycle the empty containers as appropriate, but first black out any personal information on the labels.

For more information, contact Concord Disposal Service at 925-682-9113.

1 Anon June 23, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I usually bag mine up and drop it off at my safeway pharmacy. Good to know this is available too.

2 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM

FYI, Walnut Creek City Hall/Police Department also has a drop off.

3 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM

That’s great info! Thanks!

4 W. Burroughs June 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Glad to see the City is doing something about this problem! However, I realize it’s an inconvenience to take your old pharmaceuticals to the police station, so I’ll make you a deal – give them to me. I’ll sort through them, personally recycle the good ones, and take the rest down to the station for you.

5 Michelle June 23, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Anyone know where you can drop off old Eppi pens? Since they contain a needle I am assuming they arent safe to be dropped off at these locations?

6 Jtkatec June 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Michelle, I thought that pharmacies were also supposed to take in syringes / needles. Not sure if I have my information correct.

Oh, W. Burroughs, thanks for the chuckle. Silly Rabbit.

7 AnotherAnon June 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Good info, but something else stood out:
Assistant City Manger Valerie Barone. “ was the spokesperson. In these tough economic times, why do we need an assistant City Manager? The City needs to make some serious cuts FROM THE TOP, and while I’m at it, did I read correctly that Council Members make $15,000 a year? That should be cut in half, at least.

8 Anonymous Poster June 23, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Great, now we are going to see more break-ins to the police lobby.
Upside: Lots more people will be darwining* themselves!

(*Taken out of the gene pool. If the CPD can shoot straight!)

9 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM

burn and flush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

10 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I am a diabetic and use 4 needles per day. After clipping the “needle”, I dispose the syringe in a container and drop off at the hospital for proper disposal, about 3 to four times a year

11 B June 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Or you can drop them off in my mailbox?

12 Cowellian June 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I share my leftover medicines at the picnic in Todos Santos park

13 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Pleasant Hill PD has a drop location,, as well.

14 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Clayton city hall 2nd floor police offices also has a pharmasutical as well as sharps or needle drop off. Sheiffs officein Mtz as well. These are being done as state is making cities develop program to take these back as they are classifed as waste or contaminates and can not go in the drain or be flushed or put into the trash under state laws. Good for the cities that are doing this. Due to other laws and regulations the pharmasutical and sharps need to be in police areas so sayith the nice lady at the police reception counter. Not all medical facilites and oharmacys take them back due to their concern of liability and cost — so the state has put it on the local government to do — the cities have been working with Central Sanitary District and where possible their local garbage haulers to help obtain funding and cover costs associated with this program.

15 native concordian June 23, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Happy to see this here and available.
Wish we could “recycle” unused meds to those in need, but realize the bureaucracy involved with that. Even with this improvement if we look downstream there will be a huge waste. At least this is a good environmental start, thanks Mayor !!

By the way, enjoyed the council meeting with Helen. Revealed a lot. She continually had to have reinforcement for facts, ignored the poverty level of half of the city (75 of 150) union workers where family comes first. She never addressed that and once that pride is lost, it takes a lot to rebuild. She basically said that was money from a different pot, so it doesn’t matter… HELLO all money matters… and should be spent wisely. That guy only spent 10 years here and he was paid for yesterday…. Use the money for a wiser, future investment, he had his chance…. Oh and finally I loved the I don’t have e-mail because I don’t want to hear from the anonymous people out there, they don’t have any guts… Well they had guts enough to vote her in and I just wished she had said “little people”, she might have well have said it.

Well she showed her hand, she may be a lot of things, but I wouldn’t lower myself to say it. She made a mistake and I think she knows it… in large part because of this site. Well done Mr. Mayor

16 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I’ll take all your leftover vicodin

17 Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Me Too!

18 Annonymous June 23, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Give the leftovers to FNB! I’m sure they’ll re-serve them with some dumpster flavored hummus.

19 ACC June 23, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Not to sound stupid, but does this include vitamins and other natural supplements?

20 Homeless Helper June 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Maybe we can find some meds in the recycle pile for Ms Allen.. :-)

21 Leigh June 23, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Please everyone, send your leftover Prozac to Helen Allen.

22 HM June 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM

The main Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office 1980 Muir Road, Martinez also has a drop off bin in the lobby!

23 Anonymous June 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I use a machine that burns the tip off of the used syringe.

24 SK June 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Cowellian, you crack me up! I hope to see you with your meds at the “picnic” this evening! :)

25 its a sick sad world June 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM

i was just reading a scary report that goes along with what they are trying to stop with this recycling of old drugs

26 miss ♥ priss June 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM

acc: i doubt so. I am fairly positive it would only apply to prescription medication. For one small reason, there isn’t a large abuse of vitamins and herbal supplements, and for a second reason, it is not as harmful for those items to be flushed (as some people do to unused rx meds.)

i am not 100%, but about 99% sure :)

27 Annonymous June 24, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Leigh (21),
It would seem as if Helen Allen already has enough perscription drugs. Probably TOO MANY perscription drugs for that matter.

28 ACC June 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Thank you Miss Priss. I recently went thru my cupboards and had to throw out tons of partially used, expired vitamins and supplements. I was worried about doing so.

29 opie June 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Now I know where fellon allen gets her free treatment from.

30 EdiBirsan June 24, 2010 at 9:56 PM

There was a presentation done by Central Sanitation which included some info on this aspect. Lack of proper disposal has a double wammy effect. Meds left around the house are a major abuse item by family kids and their visitors plus if you just dump down the toilet or toss them in the general trash it turns out that they are showing trace amounts in the water shed/supply which is crazy. We used to joke about prozac being pumped into the water supply … I believe that all the CVS pharmacy stores will accept old meds and dispose of them properly and glad to see that we can turn them in to the police station HQ.

31 Mom June 25, 2010 at 4:52 AM

I have a prescription medication for pain from a back and knee injury and have never known what to do with it. I honestly have old medicine and didnt want to toss or flush, I will do this tomorrow. Thank you!!!

32 Britgeekgrrl June 25, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Thanks for letting us know about this, Mr. Mayor. I can finally get rid of all the stuff that accumulated during my husband’s terminal slide. (To quote Slim Pickens, a guy could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas…) I didn’t want to flush it because I’m quite certain that phenobarb and ground water do NOT mix. ;)