TIME TO BRING BACK SOME MEMORIES, ENJOY!

June 15, 2010 · 49 comments

Over the past three-years, we’ve built a great collection of historical photos from around CLAYCORD, and we thought since we put the Cowell Smokestack photos up earlier today, why not put another slideshow celebrating CLAYCORD’s history.

So here you go, enjoy, and if you have any questions about what’s what, then just ask!

For future reference, both slideshows can also be found on the very bottom of the lefthand sidebar on CLAYCORD.com

If you have any old photos you’d like to share with us, or anything historical that you could scan or take a picture of, then email it to mayor@claycord.com and we’ll put it on the site!

1 madmom June 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM

The Flaming Groovies! Oh I love those pics Mayor. They make me happy :)

2 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM

wow, that’s quite a slide show =)

3 Cowellian June 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM

That’s quite the collection, Mr. Mayor. I think I’ve already stolen most of them from you.

;)

We serve fun at Shakey’s (also pizza)

4 Nostalgia June 15, 2010 at 3:08 PM

It was so nice when they invented colors.

5 Way Back. June 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I bet some of those $9700 homes have sold for that again as foreclosures.

6 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Bosco always had a good story to tell. A great bs’er

7 Sylvia Lundy June 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM

What a delight!!! Several times I wished the slide show would change more slowly so I could read every word on posters, etc., but I did spot the ad for our very first home in Concord —–Clayton Valley Highlands, 1960, $14,600 for the “top-of-the-line 4 bedroom, 2 bath model”. The population then was about 29,000. And there was Dick Holmes’s name, a fellow charter member of Concord Little Theater, which had performances in the old school house in Cowell……complete with OUTHOUSE! We refurbished it ourselves; and to get lumber and other items for sets and for ramping the audience rows, we had permission to rummage through the dumpsters outside several furniture stores, including Liberty House. Dick Holmes went on to become a City Councilman. Helen Bryant was another one of the many community figures who helped us so much, as did Ms. Benton at the Concord Transcript .

8 Phred June 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM

“Thanks For The Memories”. Takes me back to happier times in Claycord!

9 ANON June 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Love these photos!!! Takes me way back!

Can anyone help me remember the pizza parlor that was in the TJ Maxx shopping center? It was tucked into the corner and it was real dark inside and had picnic tables with benches. I thought it was a Round Table but my husband says it was a Straw Hat. But Straw Hat was on Clayton Road where Mountain Mike’s is now … down by YV Road.

10 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I agree with Phred, it does take you back to happier times.

11 Mustang Mom June 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Wow that was great!

12 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM

#9 – I agree with you on both pizza places. It was a Round Table around 1980, not sure if it was a different restaurant before that.

13 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM

9 It was definitely a Round Table ;-)

14 Atticus Thraxx June 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM

About as cool as it gets Thanks Mayor. I had forgotten there was a drive-in on Concord Ave. When I moved here in 1978 the property across from The Sheraton had open fields here and there and there was an exotic car dealer tucked in over there somewhere too.
Cool history slide show.

15 Phred June 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Hey, I actually have one of those Jim Cambell posters! My Dad collected and saved everything through the years. Wondering if Jim is still alive and would the poster bring in any $$$? (ebay)?

16 livesteam June 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Great pictures Mayor..fun looking back at “old” Concord

17 Radar June 15, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Thansk for the memories, Mayor, I rememeber almost all of them!

18 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Wow – what a collection. Lots of memories came back from when I was a kid of things I had forgotten about.

19 Department of redundency department June 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

gotta love the drunk driving article

20 Cubswin June 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Outstanding. Thanks!

21 Larrabee June 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Sylvia @ # 7, Play it again, and move the cursor just up above the bottom of the picture; a control panel appears, with a pause button. Enjoy!

22 misterb June 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Sylvia #7 (& anyone else with the same desire to look at a slide more closely):

If you click on the slide, it will bring up a control bar that has a “pause” button on it. Just click on it then you can manually switch slides (forward & back). then click on the ‘play’ arrow & it’ll start up again.

Thanks, Mayor, for this. I’m a relative newcomer, having arrived in 1973, but these still bring back great memories.

23 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Off the subject: For those of you wanting to chat. There will be a chat session on 6/16 Wednesday evening at 7:00pm. In the chat room of course.

24 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Any way to have an HTML option or something for photos? iPhones don’t do Flash :-(

25 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Those where the days! I loved seeing Mr. Earls music shop. My family knew him very well.
This brought back some fond memories, Thanks Mr. Mayor

26 Anon June 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Thanks #12 & #13 … I win the bet … it was a Round Table!!! :-)

27 Shadowgirl June 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Thanks so much Mayor and all of the readers for sharing their photos. That was so much fun to look at and certainly brought back memories.

28 Anonymous June 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM

that was pretty damed good, many, many, of those hit me right where i lived. we moved to concord in 1961, autumn i believe. QUESTION: the Mobil station early in the series…ISN’T THAT THAT THE ONE THAT WAS AT OLIVERA & PT CHICAGO HWY? personally, i’m sure of it.

29 cvhs94 June 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

truly was the good old days. now we are surrounded by people who have no understanding and appreciation for the past and our culture and no desire to contribute to our communities future. very sad. it maybe time to leave for a small town in the midwest.

30 bill sawyers June 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Any body have a picture or two of the carnival that used to be across from park n shop?

before the gate way buildings?

31 Liz June 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Bill Sawyers:

That was the Concord Pow Wow, every year.

32 anonymous June 15, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Thank you so much for sharing. A nice positive thing to do. Brought back some good times. I really enjoyed it.

33 Anonymous June 16, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Being that I’ve only lived in Concord since the late 70’s. Some of things I remember.
The carnival before the Gateway buildings were built.
Gas station across from Shakeys. Now a Wendys. I would ride my minibike there for gas.
Fish and Chips, Pet store with talking parrots, Woolworths, and Sambos restaurant all in Park n Shop.
The Great Entertainer on Monument. A&W on Market St. Original Ihop.
The Winchells at 4 corners. One of the employees there works or owns the donut shop (donuts delight) by the 7/11 on Golf Club Rd.

Does anyone remember what the Ihop on Clayton rd was previously?

34 Anonymous Techie June 16, 2010 at 1:16 AM

#24 buy a real phone?
Great memorabilia! Though a bit before my time, I was born in ’73, parents moved from across the bay in ’77 to Turtle Creek for more space for the rug rat(me)!
Concord is all I’ve known and has been a great town(till recent years).
I’m with #29, I’ve been looking at Albuquerque lately(supposedly a lil silicon valley with all the tech companies there).
I hope things in Concord improve drastically.

35 JOE June 16, 2010 at 6:49 AM

WERS THE PICTURES OF SOLANO

36 Random June 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM

#33 – The IHOP that is on Clayton Rd now used to originally be the ‘Copper Skillet’, I used to go there as a kid with my parents.

Anyone remember the old chicken restaurant (sort of like a KFC/fast food chicken) that was where 7-11 is now in the same shopping center as IHOP on Clayton Rd (across from McDonalds)? It burned down in the early 80’s when I was a kid…..

Remember the old gas station that used to be on the corner of Bailey/Clayton (there is a small bldg there now that is a tanning place, cleaner, etc)

Remember the old ‘drive thru’ Hibernia Bank made of brick that was at the corner of Bailey/Clayton Rd (now is Subway and some other places)?

37 yule June 16, 2010 at 6:59 AM

i was born and rasied in concord and it anit what it used to be i think the people back then would be ashmed of what are city has become ..we were one of the safeiset citys back then and now its has been dramaticly change for the worse..lets pray for are city .. god knows we need it..

38 Anonymous June 16, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Does anyone remember what the Ihop on Clayton rd was previously?

It was a copper skillet, then buttercup pantry I believe….now ihop

39 Sylvia Lundy June 16, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Thanks to both #21 and #22 for teaching this self-taught techie some more about how to fly this OS-X. Your suggestions about slowing down the slide show and flipping frames were right on the money! #33, those hot dogs at Woolworth’s in Park and Shop were the very best in the whole world, remember?….great quality dogs grilled slowly on rotating rods and really yeasty hot dog buns spread with real butter and toasting near by. #33, my husband and I both think that the Clayton Road iHop was always an ihop, but that they had a fire at one point and did a big remodel—-not really positive about all that, though. Wonder if building permit records could clear up a lot of our Claycordian questions…..like if we go to a certain city website and type in an address, can we see an ownership history? Happy day, all!

40 Killjoy June 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Random, the chicken place was “Famous Recipe Fried Chicken”.
I worked there for a very short time.
Someone apparently left one of the deep fryers on at night, and it exploded and took the place with it.
Rumor has it that the owner did it because she knew she couldn’t compete with KFC going in down the road.
She collected the insurance money, and never rebuilt.

I say that was the rumor because part of the closing procedures every night was to turn off the deep fryers and clean the filters in them.

41 Download PICASA (free) and open album June 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM

you will be happy.

42 Concord/Clayton Native June 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

The pizza place next to TJ Maxx (Alpha Beta) was a Round Table, I had my 16th birthday there, in 1977. Also, the 1st IHOP I remember was on Galindo where the Brendan Theater is now. Does anyone remember Richard’s Restaurant in Concord Terminal?

43 Dave June 16, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Love ‘em, Mayor! Anyone remember the “Best” catalog stores? One on Ygnacio and Clayton and one on Contra Costa where Target is?

44 Mr. Mayor June 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Thanks, Dave. “Best” was actually in Pleasant Hill where the JCPenny Home Store is now located, near Burger King & Wells Fargo. I don’t think Best was at Ygnacio and Clayton, I believe that was another catalog store called “Consumers”

45 Atticus Thraxx June 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM

There was a Buttercup Pantry on Monument in the late 70’s. I bused tables there for a while with a waitress who snorted epic amounts of crank. Guessing she’s long dead.

46 Anonymous June 16, 2010 at 6:41 PM

#36 – I remember that brick bank at Clayton and Bailey as Security National, before it was bought. Like the one at Civic and Main in W.C. which has been built upon and transformed into an artistic marvel of brick work and is now a realty office.

47 9 deuce daisy June 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Dr Don Rose! Great memories :) Thanks Mayor!

48 Larrabee June 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM

“Consumers” rings a bell. Consumer’s Distributing, I think. There was one in P-Hill, by the Safeway on Golf Club Rd., where the health club is currently located.

49 Ray June 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM