CPD: UPDATE ON LAST NIGHT’S ATTEMPTED MURDER OF A CONCORD POLICE OFFICER

June 5, 2010 9:02 am · 128 comments

The person pictured above is the man police say is responsible for the attempted murder of a Police Officer last night in the City of Concord.

Lt. Jim Lardieri tells CLAYCORD.com the suspect is named Anthony Alvarez, he’s a 25-year-old resident of San Francisco, and obviously hangs out in Concord a lot since he’s also wanted for a recent bank robbery in our city, which is the reason he was being pulled over last night before he got out and ran, and shot at an officer near Waterworld Parkway and Willow Pass Road. The officer returned fire, but didn’t hit the suspect.

Alvarez is a small guy, he’s 5’5″ and weighs about 160-pounds. He has brown hair styled in cornrows and brown eyes.

Anybody with information on this man is asked to call the Concord Police Department at 925-671-3333. Those wishing to remain anonymous can call the Concord Police Department anonymous tip line at 925-603-5836 or Bay Area Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

For more information this attempted murder, including detailed reporting of last night’s events, please click ON THIS LINK.

UPDATE: Sources are telling us that Alvarez is wanted for the U.S. Bank Robbery in late May. To view pictures from that robbery, click HERE.

1 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

He -looks- like a nice chap.

2 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Just an FYI Mr. Mayor, if you read the Contra Correct Times they have a vague article on this and I have the only comment on it, quoting from Claycord.com End of story.

3 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM

what no reward?

4 Lentil June 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Looks like an amazing young man with an amazing future! Making license plates and getting frisky in the laundry room. See ya pal! Oh yeah 1st!!

5 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:22 AM

he looks like a nice guy leave him alone…psyche!!! too bad the bullet missed this punk…you’ll get caught it’s just a matter of time you pinche pendejo

6 Annonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Well, SF IS a ‘sanctuary city’. Thanks Mayor Newsom!

7 Commander Cody June 5, 2010 at 9:24 AM

He’s a bank robber and tried to shoot a police officer last night to prevent being captured…and people bitched about running low on food and water because their school was on lockdown during the search of this criminal. Unreal. I doubt that your supply of food and water was sooooo low that your health was in jeopardy….certainly not like the jeopardy of all of those cops searching for an armed bank robber who already tried to kill a cop.

I’ll bet you bring an extra bottle of water and a granola bar to class next time….it’d be a shame to run low on food or water when the cops inexplicably lock you into a building for a few hours for seemingly no good reason whatsoever.

8 Mr. Mayor June 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Thanks #2 :)

9 Mr. Mayor......I'm sure your info is correct June 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

but I’m going to wait until next Thursday when Contra Costa Times reports the story…..

10 anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM

This probably won’t be very popular, but I’ll throw it out anyway. If this guy had done exactly the same thing but popped a round at someone other than a police officer, would there have been this incredible outpouring of resources, all funded by taxpayer monies, assistance from a number of outside agencies, closing of businesses, lock downs, et al.?

I come from a law enforcement family. My son is a cop, I have several cousins who are cops, a father-in-law, and a grandfather who was a firearms instructor at a police academy. I support law enforcement, don’t get me wrong. But I recently discovered a burglar with a knife who was taken into custody by the Concord PD after I called 911. They told me they might not even be able to take the suspect to the county jail because they were worried about the high cost of booking fees charged by the county. This is the financial climate they are working under.

If the officer had actually been shot, that would be a different story, and certainly they should not have just blown it off and not done anything to search for the guy, but was this whole extended incident a good use of limited resources or just a little too much testosterone?

11 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM

If Alvarez had not shot at them SWAT and K-9 would have dropped in to the creek hours earlier. With time, darkness, and fog, Alvarez was able to swim downstream, where he was supposed to rendezvous with Helen Allen who had floated down from Roseville to apprehend him.

12 David14 June 5, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Anon 9:37am You make some really good points. Thanks for driving the discussion. It’s incidents like this that make me laugh a little bit, when folks say they’d run our town like a business if elected to city council. If this huge outpouring of cash and resources with no results had happened in the private sector, heads would role.

13 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Hey #10…why don’t you go to work and get shot and see how it feels. Or if your son was the one getting shot at would that change your mind! How does you son fell about this you worthless Piece of Sh#@!

14 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Seriously folks, attempted murder of a law enforcement officer aside, anyone listening in on the scanner last night for 5 hours has to wonder about the coordination (or lack of)amongst law enforcement agencies that participated. It seems that there was little or no coordination from the command post, radio traffic was so blurred because of multiple conversations at once – and the open on-the-air disagreements created serious doubt on how to proceed amongst the men and women in blue (or khaki – thanks SO!) that were on the ground. Again – I don’t want to dismiss the seriousness of the call-out – but geez CPD take control of your own jurisdiction and show some leadershsip.

15 Lime Ridge Larry June 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Let’s spend a few more Concord dollars and let our CPD use the firing range more. Too bad this scumbag wasn’t hit. It would sure settle this particular problem once and for all.

16 RAPP81 June 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

5’5″, 160 is not a small guy! Short, fat, and a waste of space… definitely!

17 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM

#14, 10:11 AM you have no clue.

They were using three (or more) CPD radio channels.

They use their computer screens and cell phones for a lot of their important communications.

Da’Mayor silenced the scanner for the proprietary stuff.

A dopey reporter from KTVU-2 breached the perimeter with his SUV, and distracted things. And, he left with no substantive story.

18 Bowsprite June 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Just checked out the link to the CBS5 story – looks like they got their info verbatim from Claycord.com. Nice to have the story as it unfolds instead of having to rely on the “news”

19 Anon E. Mouse June 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Was Leavingsoon on site? You’d think for $1.4Mil a year he’d be on top of these things?

20 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM

#14 has it right. The scanner provided an amazing account of wasted time, poor command and control, poor resource mgmt, poor to NO communication, a loose northern perimeter (the direction of flight), and almost complete disorganization.

Something close to two hours to set up a command post and clear the areas around Sizzler/Denny’s, etc., and they didn’t even begin tracking this individual w/ K9 until close to 10pm. The dog led them straight to Waterworld’s front gate and through the park to the north fenceline, where I imagine Mr Alavarez escaped into the area of warehouses and car dealerships on Concord B.

Hate to armchair QB, but given the running account of the incident, the conclusion, or lack thereof, seemed a foregone conclusion to me.

21 Anon E. Mouse June 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM

(opps, hit submit instead of preview)

or is he another Concord official who doesn’t live in the area?

22 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM

#13 … as a matter of fact, my son has been shot at, and so have I. In my case, I was a ride-along with my father-in-law many years ago when he was a patrol deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office, Lynwood substation. At the time, the Lynwood substation beat looked a lot like Richmond does today. We were shot at and, yes, all of the units in the substation responded and looked for the suspect. However, everyone realized that the odds of finding the shooter were pretty slim the more time passed, and even though the LASO likely had far more resources available than did Concord PD last night, they called off the search after 30 minutes or so, and this was in broad daylight where it was a whole lot easier to search for and find a suspect.

I haven’t spoken to my son about this incident but I will. He is a supervisory patrol sergeant for an agency in Kansas roughly the same size as Concord and I’ll see what he thinks but I’m pretty certain I know what’ll he say. First, he will probably laugh, and say he would not second-guess the officers, but …. Second, he will say he was glad no one got hurt but that it was probably not the smartest thing in the world to do: conduct a search in darkness of that particular amusement park, knowing its location and the avenues of escape before the suspect could have gotten there, and with all of the unusual hiding places for a suspect who has already apparently shot at a police officer to jump out and surprise another officer. Third, he would, as he has in the past, point to the Oakland SWAT officers who hot-dogged their way into getting themselves killed by not acting responsibly. Finally, he would say they know who the guy was; they’ll get him down the road. No use spending all that time and risk getting someone else killed now.

23 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM

#11
LMAO!!!!

24 accountable June 5, 2010 at 12:14 PM

#10
Thank you for taking the time to write and state what many will not. I couldn’t agree with you more. Absolutely an over-abundant use of tax-payer monies, and testosterone.

# 7 Commander Cody
It’s easy for you to blast others who were locked in the different facilities. Unless you’ve been through that experience you have no right to bitch. Also, to be hung up on (allegedly) by the CPD when asking for a help is wrong and leaves these people more afraid and unsure of what’s going on around them. Like it or not I believe there can be and should be more of a timely effort to release those who are “held” by L.E. orders. Time and time again, the level of testosterone is the problem.

25 J June 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM

So yeah #10 go hug a tree and get out of my country cause your a waste of the air we breathe. My whole family is law enforcement so what does that have to do with you being yellow.
I wish concord PD would have spent more time and money to find this little wanna be thug and shoot him! As for outside assistance you obviously don’t understand the brother hood of law enforcement. You hear shots fired come over the radio, you roll code 3, even from surrounding city’s.
Its quite. Obvious that the perp had absolutely no regard for the life of the officer so he really doesn’t give a crap about johnny Q public or their 6 year old daughter walking with them.
Also they (all police departments) need to send all the cops to the range more but instead they hoard the ammo because of “budget problems”. I know guys who have had the same bullets in their guns for 6 months or more! That’s just stupid! They need practice its all about repetition and muscle memory people!
Sorry just my .02

J

26 Coco June 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Also heard the radio scanner and heard confusion. At one point there were zero units at Home Depot. The guy probably hopped on his iPhone radio scanner and was laughing as he swam away to safety. Great job Livingston… Could have won your election last night.

27 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 1:33 PM

#25 — If they had FLIR on Waterworld and that was 100% accurate then they would have realized no one was there. FLIR and armor will only get you so far. There is still a risk. Just ask the Oakland SWAT team.

#26 — It’s not a question of being yellow but of being smart. I do understand the “brother hood of law enforcement” (and I understand that it is not just brothers but sisters, too). That’s precisely my point and you confirmed it well. Police officers today are much more highly trained and well paid than the old days. We as a community expect them to use their brains as much if not more than the rest of their anatomy and not just come running Code 3. Shoot first and ask questions later doesn’t work any more.

But this discussion is moving off of my original question: would the Concord PD response have been different if it had been someone other than a police officer shot at? If one of the homies on Monument Blvd. had popped a round at another gangbanger is anyone suggesting bringing in helicopters and SWAT teams? What if someone had taken a shot at The Mayor of Claycord? Would he have gotten, and perhaps here’s the bigger question — deserved — the same response as occurred last night? If not, why not and how and where do we draw the line?

While you all ponder that, I have to go hug a tree …

28 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I’m sure the cops weren’t in any hurry to face more gunfire especially after dark..that may have had an impact on the sense of urgency to find him, although they did try…they will get him on their terms…you’ll see.

29 A Cop June 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They spent too much time looking for someone, they spent too little time looking for someone. How many people must die before something is done? – my personal favorite.

I love it when people who have not idea what they’re talking about look at something with 20-20 hindsight and craft their opinions to match the outcome. If only I were in charge things would be different!

Well Hoss, you were not in charge. You weren’t even there and you risked nothing. Lets be real, you were in your nice comfortable homes doing absolutely nothing except you were glued to your chair listening and waiting for the next update to be posted. Vicariously involved in a real life or death struggle courtesy of the internet.

You have no base of knowledge of police tactics or police procedures. How could you?

Just because you saw it on TV or obtained your tactical knowledge via osmosis from standing next to a police relative does not make you an expert.

What if Concord had called off the search earlier as you suggested and later some poor undeserving soul was shot and killed as a result. What would you be saying now I wonder? What a bunch of cowards for not searching Wally World; what do we pay these cops for? Oh, I’m sure it would be much, much worse.

Who has to live with the consequences of their potential life or death decisions? You who risk nothing or the person in charge and the officers who are actually there?

How about you simply say “Thank you”.

Oh and to everyone who has reminded me over the years that you pay my salary through taxes. Well tard, my job is not tax exempt. I pay my salary too.
I

30 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM
what no reward?

Yes there is…. a $10,000 reward for the bank robbery

31 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Boy I sure see a lot of people on here constantly pointing out that the police have any easy job and they they coud do it better. I also see people constantly complaining they make too much money and have this super retirement. If its such an easy job, with such fantastic benefits, why don’t more of you go put in an application? There’s probably not a lot of hiring right now, but there must have been at some point in your life. I don’t get it. Apparently, you’d be awsome at it and rake in the money. So why didn’t you?

32 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM

LOL J. Who made the comment about testosterone? .

33 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Wow, I thought it was Saturday today. Sure is a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking! Exactly why I never entered law enforcement. Nothing but a bunch of ungrateful, ignorant, loudmouthed citizens, who think they know everything from watching episodes of cops and listening to stories from their great uncle who was a cop in Podunk Arkansas in 1950.

Thanks CPD and everyone else that was there and so glad no one was hurt.

34 just me June 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Mayor,

I guess I am longer reader of your blog than others…….but nobody said anything about one of your favorite places……..Sizzler! We use to have so many jokes about the salad bar amongst other things….

On a more serious note, I am glad they posted his picture now. Maybe he’ll be really smart like the guy in Albany who walked into police saying his car was stolen.

35 this one time at space camp June 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM

hey if u look up Anthony Alvarez on facebook one of the results comes up with a profile that has a picture of a bunch of money .just sayin

36 Mr. Mayor June 5, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Fortunately I was not working at the sizzler last night when this happened. I’m working tonight though :)

37 this one time at space camp June 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

hey is sizzler hiring ?

38 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

#30 — Jack Nicholson couldn’t have said it any better. Oh, wait! He did!

There’s no question that police officers are second-guessed all the time. It goes with the territory of being in a high-profile profession where you are given a badge, a gun, and a number of exemptions from the rules everyone else has to follow. You’ll get a lot of latitude from me but not complete freedom to do as you please. And, yes, it is a dangerous job and you’ll get a Thank You from me, but I expect You’re Welcome in return, the exercise of the sound judgment and training you were supposedly provided with, and you’ll come off a whole lot wiser, experienced and reasonable if you get off that high horse you’re riding.

39 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Leave the lil’ guy alone. He just has issues.

40 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM

OMG, you people who are Monday morning quarterbacking the “control’ at the scene are idiots. Let me first say, private sector and law enforcement are two TOTALLY different things. First, there was a desperate criminal with a gun running from police. What would prevent him from taking a hostage, carjacking YOU or YOUR FAMILY to get out of town. Still think the resources were too much?? Seems like when it hits home opinions change. The driving force wasn’t personal, it was that the fact that the public safety was at risk. Second, anyone who isn’t in law enforcement and is listening to an abbreviated rendition on a scanner need not comment. You have NO IDEA what you’re talking about. For all you haters out there, move out of mom and dad’s basement, get a job, or move to Canada! Mayor, great job on the information!!!

41 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Well said below #32… Lets let #22 read it again!

“Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 1:43 PM”

42 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Hey Mayor, Just a quick thanks to the manager and employees of Sizzler. Being one who had to rush out of my home and away from my family to look for this guy, I really appreciated the Sizzler folks and their hospitality. The water and snack was truly appreciated. While I haven’t eaten at the Sizzler in probably 15 years, just the way I was treated last night by the manager and his staff will make me become a customer again.

43 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Anon 30,
Well said. Be safe out there.

That d-bag (allegedly) robbed a bank and shot at a cop. According to news reports, he lad a loaded weapon in the car.He obviously has no concern for other people. Good for LEO fro trying to lock that f$cker up! As awesome as Claycord is, I don’t think we know more than those on scene do. Who are we to say what should have been done?

44 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I may not be happy about it but I can understand why they used so many resources to try and capture this guy. If you will shoot at law enforcement you are a public enemy. They have the guy’s name so it’s only a matter of time until he’s caught. Wanted for bank robbery and attempted murder of an officer is not something he will evade for long.

45 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM

#36 you to really refine your search when looking for any Hispanic names on Myspace.
every time I look up any Hispanic thugs name it comes back with over 500 results. But thanks for reminding me to look at these pathetic little boys it’s is certainly entertaining.

46 A Cop June 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I believe the point I was trying to make and maybe I was using too big of words for you was this. They did use sound judgment and you are welcomed.

47 evil blade of grass June 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

so is sizzler hiring ?

48 Marty June 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM

#10 Said – “Da’Mayor silenced the scanner for the proprietary stuff.”

Ha, he works for Radio Reference? Mr. Mayor, I’m jealous. I wish that I had a sycophant.

49 wild monkey June 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

poo flinging anonymous class tonight

50 evil blade of grass June 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

so is sizzler hiring ??/?

51 ACC June 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

#29, feel better? Sounds like you needed to get that off your chest. Hope it helped.
And thank you – you’re appreciated here.

52 anonymous June 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM

#39….he just has issues? Yeah one big issue: he’s a potential cop killer! We all have issues but this guy is pond scum!!!!!!

53 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 4:00 PM

How did a little 5′-5″ pudge made it over the Waterworld front gate?

The driver’s license photo of this kid must be 8-years old, as he’s doubled his weight since that picture was taken.

Pants on the ground pants on the ground. He’s sagggin’

54 Face Book Search June 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I found two Anthony Alvarez profiles on Facebook in San Francisco. Hard to tell from the pixilated photo the Mayor provided but I think this picture looks close.
Anyone else think it looks like him?

55 Face Book Search June 5, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Word Press did not hyper ling the whole URL in the above post. You will have to copy and paste. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=3854&id=100001138624331

56 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I’m glad tht CPD took their time and used every resource for their own safety. I think CPD did a great job.

57 Armydad June 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM

#29

THANK YOU!!!!

58 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Interestingly, no one has addressed the original question — would the response of the Concord PD have been different if someone other than a police officer was shot at, and if so, why?

59 just me June 5, 2010 at 4:34 PM

hmm is Sizller hiring……I dunno the mayor keeps pretty tight control of the salad bar and lemonade machine there…he has a pretty tight background check I have heard.

As for the officers that were there last night, thanks and also thanks for your postings on here! One question, someone was “upset” last night because they didn’t know if WCPD had repsonded along with the other agencies. If one of the officers that was there last night can fill us in on what agencies did show I think quite a few people would greatly appreciate it.

60 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM

This kid looks identical to my neighbor, but not the same name, Could his name be wrong?

61 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM

In regards to the link on the update-that picture from the bank robbery looks nothing like the guy that is pictured in this article… could just be me though.

62 Leigh June 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM

#42, I take it you might be law enforcement? If so, thank you for leaving your family last night and putting your life in danger to help protect me and my children.

63 Jerry D. June 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Umm… Face Book Search #54 and #55,

Careful with that. I was looking on facebook last night for a possible profile of the suspect but I don’t think it is a good idea to post a link to a picture if you are not sure it is him. I know you’re not saying that it is and just asking if we all think it might be but we do have some pretty mentally challenged people on the internet and that could lead to an innocent person being traumatically apprehended at gun point if not shot.

I know if that was my picture you linked asking that question, I would be furious.

64 Leigh June 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM

To A Cop

Well said!!

65 SanDee June 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM

#29
Exactly what I was thinking, except I would add. Use Common Sense.

When you arrive be it to ‘help’, gawk, or have a ‘wanna be Hero’ attitude, it is not only distracting but can also be dangerous.
We must take the time to sort out those just watching, from the possible culprit. Not to mention that you could be endangering your life, along with mine.
This is not a sideshow, it is deadly serious.

People please stay at home, in your comfy chair. However ‘well meaning’ your attentions are, we need TRAINED professionals.
Besides Claycord.com, gives you info faster then I can.With Pictures :-)

#29 Thank You

66 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM

@4:29–

You want someone to address your IGNORANT question? Okay here it goes:

It does not have so much to do with the fact that a COP was shot at. The totality of the circumstances are what matter:

#1–CPD was ONSCENE at the time of the shooting SO they had the BEST chance to capture the bad guy than if they were responding to a shooting, which gives the bad guy much more of a headstart and a chance to get away.

#2–Most shooting involve someone getting away in a vehicle, NOT on foot. He was ON foot and they had a direction of flight.

#3–If they knew where he might have run to, why not just lock the whole place down and take your time using ALL of the resources made available to CPD instead of using MINIMAL resources and losing lives. You want another OPD incident on YOUR hands?

#4–If someone will shoot a cop, they will shoot ANYONE!

#5–Most shootings CPD goes to involves gangs and when they arrive on scene, they are told to “go away!” and they don’t want any police help. Why deploy resources for people like this?

Does any of this make sense to you? These are the best reasons I could come up with just to appease you. Shame on you. Give me your son’s phone number, I will call him and tell him we have another CINDY SHEEHAN on our hands. You make me SICK.

Will you SHUT UP now?

67 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Mr Mayor,

I am a cop… If the guy will shoot at at cop imagine what he would to a ordinary citizen.

Now some poor patrol cop my be taken out cause this guy is now on the run…I’m sorry the officer missed cause now someone else will have to take care of the job.

Lets home the good guys can take care of this problem before we have to bury a brother or sister in blue.

Enough said.

68 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Are you people serious? If this low life is willing to shoot at an officer he is probably willing to just about anything! He is shooting at someone who he knows has a gun, what does that say about his little mind? Yeah get back to us when this little man is shooting at you.

69 Mr. Mayor June 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM

You don’t have to tell me that. I wish the officer would have had a better shot and got the guy right there. I agree, if he is willing to shoot a cop, imagine what else he’s willing to do. He’s an idiot.

70 anon June 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Its sad, he looks like a kid. I always wonder what happens to them, what makes them turn “bad”

71 SanDee June 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

PS: To those who think it seemed ‘disorganized’.
Have you ever tried to cordon off a grid with a armed suspect who wants to shoot you, as he runs into a crowd of people?
They were trying to create order from disorder, as simple as that.

(I am not a cop either)

72 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

What school was in lockdown?

73 Killjoy June 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I love it. Livingston paid for a giant banner at the top of the page in his run for Sheriff.
The story we’re looking at is proof positive of why we shouldn’t vote for him. :P

74 Ken In Concord June 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Did I read right sizzler provided food drink snacks for the responders to last nights search.

I have not had a dinner there in about 12 years. But if they are willing to support our police and others keeping our town safe.

I will gladly support them by bringing my family there for dinner.

Ken In Concord

75 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I disagree with all this “he shot at a cop just imagine what he would do to a citizen” There are actually a couple things missing here. The most important being that “cop” was the only one standing in the way of his freedom. “Cops” are not like you and I and they will be the first to tell you that. Its their job, their profession, they remove individuals freedom. Choosing that job puts you in the line of fire (people don’t like jail). He has no reason to bother ordinary citizens. The issue is between the bank he allegedly robed, the police and him. The guy needs to be picked up and charged for his crime, and receive a fair trial. There’s zero doubt in my mind the CPD was out to revenge kill him last night. It doesn’t matter how it went down he would be dead (if they found him). Wasting thousands and thousands on last nights entertainment is no way for a city on the verge of bankruptcy to conduct business. The officer was not injured. I understand he was scared but to waste our money like that is a huge FAIL for CPD. The kid will be found if he’s not in mexico already. Maybe the city can bill the bank they were protecting to cover all the excess man power…

76 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM

#10 (AKA Cindy Sheehan)

Your son must be real proud of you! Lets remember murder of a Police Officer is a capitol offense for good reason. If someone is going to shoot at a cop, they will surely not think twice about taking out an ordinary citizen. I would expect nothing less from our law enforcement than to use every available resource to get this POS.

Our police officers need all the support they can get, especially now!

Now go shut up and go hug your tree and lfe sized Nancy Pelosi poster you window licker!

77 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM

ANON #75 TROLL

78 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

The last poster.. I will pay for a massage.. Several If YOO WANT!~!

You rock!

A CPD officer

79 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM

#76 AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

80 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Wow people lay off the guy he is just giving an opinion and everyone is intitled to one. You all seem to have some also. I want to say that I agree to a certain point that was a lot of cop ego out there. Out of 100 of those situations how often is the perp. located? Maybe once out of a hundred. By the time the cops had the area blocked off he was long gone and any honest cop would tell you that because he had more to loose he could move alot faster. If it was me would the Concord PD give a crap? I say heck know. I do agree that they should have tried to find him, but do I agree it should have happened like that NO I dont. Mayor how about a pole to see how concord feels about it? I have seen good things cops do and I have seen some very bad and sad things cops do, so if your so sure they are these perfect hard working people then good for you and may you never see the other side. There is good and bad in all.

81 Straight-A Explorer Scout June 5, 2010 at 7:37 PM

There have to be disincentives to not shoot at Peace Officers. To raise the price of Poker all bail for actions against a Police Officer are always just about doubled for the same offense against Joe the Plumber.

Whatever it takes to discourage violence toward Peace Officers is a good thing.

A 10-99 is a frightening call and when they come in it’s ALL HANDS ON DECK LOCKED AND LOADED BATTLESTATIONS PEDAL TO THE METAL NO HOLDS BARRED. Some agencies also use an 11-code, in which case it’s an 11-99

OFFICER NEEDS HELP is the call of last resort when the situation is desperate and life threatening to a Peace Officer.

82 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM

77 also says thanks to the good officers who do the job that they signed up for. I wouldnt want to be a cop your right. I would cut hands of thiefs, shoot people who hurt the elderly and children so you can see I am not able to do this job. I cant be a nurse or doctor either because I dont get how our little ones can be taken when they havent even lived yet or how people dont go say by to the parents who raised them but thats why we all have choices people. If you choose to do something then sometimes you get what you get. No I dont think its right but I do know its just the way life is . Thanks to the ones who are good and do the job they are signed up to do and to those that dont boo hoo to you

83 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM

#75, there are plenty of vacant apartments in Berkeley for you to move into. Bye bye!

84 ACC June 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM

#70
You’re kidding right? He AIN’T no kid! He’s 25 freaking years old and he’s old enough to know exactly what the consequences of his actions were last night and what they are today. Believe me, I’m one of the first to “stand up” for kids, to the moment they turn 18. If they are 17 years and 364 days old I hope a bad kid can be saved. And up to that moment I too wonder what went wrong for that child. But 18 and after, they’re done getting any worry from me. Think of it this way, 25 is a quarter of a century. More than enough years to know right from wrong. This guy is a punk. Now he’s a punk on the run – he should turn himself in soon – that is his best chance, otherwise, if any LEO comes across him, his next action will determine his life expectancy.

85 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Y’all realize that is a driver’s license photo that was taken when he was 16, and now he’s 25.

The photo is eight years old, and he’s 50 pounds heavier.

That’s the problem with budget cuts the DMV only updates photos every 12 years.

86 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM

you retards it’s not funny!

87 David2 June 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Commander Cody — my sentiments exactly! That Nick guy posting the comments about, “help…running low on food and water” needs to be sent to a 3rd world country to get a taste of what real suffering is like. Being locked up for 3 hours and crying about how he’s about to starve to death..so spoiled

88 sl June 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I said this last night and I’ll say it again……Please do not make this about liberals vs democrats! Good God, these are the lives of those who put THEIR lives on the line for US. Yes, I am more liberal than conservative but I have a family full of cops. Because I may not vote for conservatives doesn’t mean I’m not in total support of our police. I know I am not the only one. Please, we were praying for those officers safety throughout the night (and always). I was up until 2am listening in horror knowing that anyone of you officers could have been shot. Let’s leave the politics out of this.Thank God all of you made it through safely.

89 sl June 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Let’s remember, this is about criminals vs police, not democrats vs republicans

90 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM

#66 – I hope you were Code 7M when you wrote that and not on City time

91 anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Why was there nothing in the Times this morning about this? Were they PO’d that the Mayor got the scoop and was keeping everyone informed? What’s up with that?

92 sl June 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM

To #76….I said this last night and I’ll say it again, please do not make this into a liberals vs conservatives issue. This is (was) a criminal/scum vs police. I for one am more liberal than conservative but I totally support our law enforcement people. I listened to the police feed until 2am with knots in my stomach worrying that one of the officers would get shot. I come from a family of cops and worry about their safety everyday! Please don’t make this a demoncrats vs republicans issue. Thank God all of you officers made it through the night safely. And I pray that you will never be harmed. Just keep doing the excellent job that you’re doing now. Thank you a thousand times for protecting us!

93 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Did this kid used to live on Placer Drive in Concord? He looks like a little punk ! Hope the cops get to bash his head into there cars while they are loading him up in the dark….oops it was an accident! P.O.S.!!

94 manhunt June 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Please kill him with his own stolen gun.

Until then may he live in terror.

95 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 10:01 PM

#91 – because there was nothing newsworthy to report. It was only a huge countywide call out that produced confusion with no results, was very taxpayer intense and the press was shunned away. Concord does not have a PIO so the press was handled poorly. And that’s that.

96 EdiBirsan June 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM

If someone shots at a cop, then the cops damn well better react stronger, faster and heavier than if it was some gangbanger shot at. If they did not then there damn well better be some heads rolling in that department and the people leading the charge should be the cops themselves. The reasons for that? Get serious folks… hell if you have to ask the question you may not be able to understand the answer.

Was the reaction poor, misdirected, incomplete, inefficient or dangerous to other parts of the city? We here can not judge from the mumbles of one of many police channels. The police themselves are the ones who go over this again and again in house and see what is to be learned. That is what they are suppose to do and let us give them credit and time for it.

Let us also not jump to conclusions that the suspect would have been killed in the process of capture. There are a lot of factors that go into capture scenarios and one that should not be discounted is the professionalism and determination of the cops to do the right thing and keep a cool head. I have a nephew who is a NY cop (was at the Towers etc) who just went on full disability from a serious injury in an arrest take down and he will tell you that you just want to get the bad guy not play executioner, Dirty Harry or whatever the latest cop movie hero is.

Budget issues are a separate issue and a different mind set on all sides and in this kind of situation is not a primary consideration. Professionalism, efficiency and reliability are demanded as part of the job description with the resources at hand. If more is needed realistically or less could be used, that is for the after reports.

97 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Now CPD has pissed off KTVU Channel 2 news. Seems like inquiring minds would like to know about last nights law enforcement debacle/response. At this point it is probably better off waiting til after the elction to make public comments. Election can be thrown away by this type of leadership failure. You think?

98 Mr. Mayor June 5, 2010 at 10:36 PM

How about KTVU explain why they were driving in the search area during a helicopter search, and backing their van into a spot near where the suspect was thought to have been while the SWAT team was in the area? How about KTVU explain to us why they wasted about 10-minutes of law enforcement’s time while the helicopter followed the suspicious van and eventually made contact with it, only to have the driver, a KTVU employee say he’s sorry and won’t get in the way again.

99 Mr. Mayor June 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I got all the answers I needed with no confusion at all. Maybe the media shouldn’t be so pushy during a huge search and they’ll get the answers they need. CPD doesn’t have a PIO, which is good, because they don’t need a PIO, the watch commanders handle the calls perfectly fine. Press needs to learn to back off a bit and more agencies might be willing to help them out.

100 Anonymous June 5, 2010 at 10:48 PM

To call this a debacle is ignorant. You can’t spend too many resources when it comes to a situation where you have an armed suspect willing to kill a cop. Do cops take it a little more personal when it comes to cop killers? Probably, but wouldn’t you? Cops need to set example out of people who are willing to fight or shoot law enforcement. They need to send a message to the bad guys that if you take it to that level, you will pay the price. I support the law enforcement effort last night. Great job. This turd got away last night but his freedom will be short lived.

101 MeMe June 6, 2010 at 12:43 AM

um.. what exactly is a “window licker…?”

102 David2 June 6, 2010 at 4:38 AM

Any update on whether or not WCPD was there to assist last night? If not, wtf were they doing? Police from Pitt and Orinda came. Wtf was WCPD doing? Busy trying to bring in more money into their ritzy ass city by citing DUI’s so they can build that new Saks Fifth Avenue (or whatever high profile shopping mall) that was supposed to come to downtown?

103 Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 5:06 AM

wow how many cpd/cpd family are on this site…

104 Anon June 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Wow, send his sorry a$$ back to Mexico.

105 WTF June 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM

David2 what is up with your hard on for WCPD?

106 Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I am not a cop, but I am amused at the responses to this thread. Watching “Cops” and “The First 48″ while listening to your scanner doesn’t make you an expert.

107 Cannibis June 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM

at around 4AM this morning at the 7-11 next to the Grand Casino, 2 suspicious latinos were standing in the parking lot on both sides of it, the Grand Casino security came to inform the 7-11 clerk at the time and when the suspicious latinos heard the walky talky radio that the security was using at the time, they started to walk towards their car to leave. But the 7-11 clerk called the cops and the Sheriffs got there within 3 minutes of the call after informing the cops that the suspects were latinos. The cops were able to catch the latinos before they were able to drive off. The cops found 2 guns in the car and arrested the suspicious latinos. Hopefully it was Anthony Alvarez, if not, at least they took more trash off the streets.

108 KC June 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Catch this bastard and deport him – right to hell. No luggage required.

109 Marty June 6, 2010 at 7:46 PM

If I were on the lam, I would only shoot a citizen if he/she was keeping me from freedom. However, I would shoot a cop without question. There’s no way to know for sure, but I’d bet that this dude would have not attempted to murder anyone that night if he hadn’t ran into the cops.

110 Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 8:51 PM

The correct charge for this incident is Assault With a Firearm on a Peace Officer.
$20,000 bail will be doubled to $40,000

If you seen $million plus bail, it’s mean they’re trying to charge attempted murder. The bail will tell the story.

111 Anon E. Mouse June 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM

“Anon June 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Wow, send his sorry a$$ back to Mexico.”
Jebus! All racists please evacuate to Arizona NOW!
I’m sure all you ignorant uneducated white people can take the low paying jobs that are now vacant from the illegals.
For all you know he could be the son of a well off dentist, gone bad, born here just like you or me.
From now on, when I see a post that says “white male suspect”.
I will be replying, Send him back to honkyville!
CPD will catch him in due time. Quit calling for blood. GROW UP

112 Anonymous June 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Mr. Mouse, Shut up with the stupid Arizona racist crap. Getting a little tired of all these bleeding hearts crying about a State that is enforcing laws that already exist. Nothing racist in the law. And yes, CPD or some law enforcement will catch him. And odds are pretty good he’ll be shot unless he gives up through a lawyer or the media. No cop is going to give him a chance to fart in their direction after he’s already shot at a cop.

113 cvhs94 June 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM

wish we had the balls for an Arizona type law. If you are in this country legally, you have nothing to fear. Meanwhile CA provides free MEDCAL, Education and welfare, housing etc…we are also in a 20 billion dollar budget hole this year. 40 billion last year….

114 Anonymous June 7, 2010 at 1:05 AM

wow some of these comments reallly piss me off. yes i do think the police could of done a lil bit better job. this idot was stupid enough to shoot at a cop. he didnt care if he didnt care if he missed and where the bullet went. im greatful it didnt hit somebody else. now hes on the run and if hes willing to kill a cop yes hes willing to do more. now only his thug friend will help him run. everyone else is now in his way of freedom, what do you think he will do if he hears or see somebody trying to turn him in. most likely he will run but you cant be 100% sure. theres always a chance he will shoot. i hope they find him and lock him up for good and dont let him out

115 Anon E. Mouse June 7, 2010 at 2:15 AM

#113 Yup, no racists in AZ… (psst, none in concord either)
I’m sure the law was written as non-racist as possible still doesn’t change the motivation behind it.
It’s the Federal governments job to enforce the national borders, period. Not the states.
That’s why ICE is under the DHS, a federal dept.
If the people are unhappy with their performance, that’s what we have representatives for.
Not happy with your representation, vote someone else in.
Not happy with the replacement? Move to another more conservative area… say like Arizona…
Although you might like Texas better, I hear they are talking about bringing back slavery and seceding…

116 Anonymous June 7, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Everybody, if you see a sad little effeminate looking fire plug of a guy with a fake mustache, a hoodie, and saggy pants, cuff him, or call 911.

117 Anonymous June 7, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Anon E Mouse is a racist him/herself. Just proves my point that all ethnic groups are racist………………Don’t be such an arrogant a-hole Anon E Mouse just shows YOUR racist colors. Go eat a taco or something and STFU
As for the jerk who shot at the cop………..he is more than like in Tijuana and we Mexico doesn’t honor any type of extraditon.

118 Anon E. Mouse June 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I’ve been called a racist before. I prefer to think of it as elitism.
I’m equally prejudice against everyone that’s ignorant and stereotypical.
Although blacks do bother me only the saggy pant type, tho same goes for white folk.
If you look kept, clean and respectable, that’s the way you’ll get treated.
I made stir-fry last night, but I’ll make burritos today to satisfy your stereotype.
No U, STFU …

119 Anonymous June 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Anon E Mouse and this POS Anthony Alvarez are probably hanging buddies which is why Mouse Turd is so quick to defend him…..They are like flies on sh*t.

120 Anonymous June 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I hope when the police find this jerk they shoot first and ask questions later :-)
We don’t need to waste any tax dollars on this crap-a-roni Alvarez

121 Anon E. Mouse June 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Yup he’s my cuz … and he’s hangin out in the garage drinkin a 40.
I was defending no one, just speaking on racism.
You, sir, are an @$$. EOF

122 Anon June 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Looks like Pee Wee Herman. Last seen fleeing the scene on a red beach cruiser bicycle.

123 Anonymous June 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM

AH, folks, …. The area being secured was not all that small, if KTVU was able to get into the search area then it’s not too much of a stretch to think that someone could have gotten out in that same area. Did the IC grasp, he had a hole in his perimeter ?

124 MeMe June 8, 2010 at 1:04 AM

still.. I wanna know.. what the hell is a window-licker..?!

125 CLAYCORD Keeper of the Slang ... said ... June 8, 2010 at 8:43 AM

… there are many slang definitions of a window-licker. Take your pick:

If you are offended by any of these, you may flag them for review.

126 ACC June 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Keeper of the Slang
Wow! I had no idea it was such a derogatory term. I sort of laughed cause it reminded me of the term used in the gum commercials “lint licker” which is used in a fight between a wife and girlfriend of a cheating spouse. Now I know better. Thanks for the info.

127 Anonymous June 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Note to
CPD:
1) Find this POS scum pig
2) When found shoot and kill this POS scum pig
3) Once shot and killed toss the POS scum pig into the North Bay for the sharks to
feed on
4) Charge POS scum pigs family for time and resources wasted on the POS scum pig

We do not need to waste more taxer payer dollars on a a trial, jail time (food, shelter medical etc) on the POS scum pig. JUST SHOOT TO KILL AND TURN TO CHUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

128 Anonymous June 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM

The suspect is currently barricaded and holding a hostage (possibly a young child) in Sacramento. SWAT is onscene