BACKYARD FIRES, DO YOU LOVE THEM OR HATE THEM?

May 21, 2010 9:30 am · 119 comments

What’s your opinion on backyard fires? This CLAYCORDIAN, who recently wrote to us, tells about his experience with his neighbors and their fire pit.

I have a neighbor that burns wood in a backyard fire pit and the smoke from it completely overwhelms any house that is down wind. I see these stupid things called chimineras for sale at Home Depot and Lowes.

They are basically a ceramic urn that people burn wood it. Everybody has to close their windows or else their whole house smell like a camp fire.

We have tried to talk to them about the problem but there is a language barrier and I don’t feel comfortable approaching a large group of males that have been drinking all day.

It’s funny how the fire pit is placed so the smoke doesn’t go into their own home. I could find no ordinance or law that prohibits these unhealthy smelly fires.

Perhaps you could put this topic in the Claycord website for people to comment on. I bet hundreds of people that read Claycord have backyard fires and don’t even think about the poor folks living down wind.

What’s your opinion? Talk about it, NOW!….

101 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Hey Annon #4 do you live on or near Concord Blvd?

102 Alan May 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM

These are purely self-indulgent and selfish because they are woefully inefficient and more for the “scene” than any useful purpose. And yes, I hate them even more because they are a horror for nearby neighbors. Again, getting back to selfish.

These should absolutely be outlawed for both environmental reasons,and when applicable (which is often the case) they often gravely impact nearby neighbors.

103 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I wanted a fire pit but opted for a stand up propane heater.

104 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM

They asked me how I knew my true love was true,
I of course replied, something here inside cannot be denied.
They said someday you’ll find all who love are blind,
When your heart’s on fire, you must realize,
Smoke gets in your eyes.
So I chaffed and then I gaily laughed,
To think that they could doubt my love,
Yet today, my love has flown away,
I am without my love.
Now laughing friends deride tears I cannot hide,
So I smile and say when a lovely flame dies,
Smoke gets in your eyes.

Thanks Platters

105 Confucius Says ... May 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

… Anybody who has smoke blow on them should be flattered because smoke always follows the-pretty-one.

106 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Berkeley grad….what the F are you talking about? Berkeley High grad maybe. I can tell you’re a chump. “Then you have no intelligence” Thats a good one.

107 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM

When people say they went to Berkley most mean they drove through it. “Incinerating environmentally hazardous conglomerations” four 9+ letter plus words in a row is the give away. Reaching. Now reach down and pull the pickle out of your butt.
I forge knives on a coal fire in my yard, so FU.

108 Chopper May 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Love them. For everyone else who doesn’t. Stop being haters! Ya dumb asses

109 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM

60 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM
A 12′ fence is a safety hazard (wind load).

6′ fence is the maximum you can build WITHOUT a building-permit or engineering.

You can build a 12′ fence if you go through proper channels and it’s approved.
******************************
Yeah Right – You can build as high a fence as you want anymore – City of Concord doesn’t have the manpower or the time to give a shit about the height of a fence, or a neighbor adding yards of soil to their backyard so yours floods in the winter rainy season.

We have TWO firepits, and build nice hot great fires. If you don’t like the smell, tough, I don’t like listening to your rooster, your kids, your loud music as you drive down my street, your harley or your dogs.

110 thighs of glory May 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Hey, Berkeley Grad. Does it sting — just a little — to be separated from the other Bay Aryans on the fashionable side of the Tunnel?

111 Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM

If your neighbor added two cubic yards to their backyard and yours is now flooding then it’s a civil matter. Take them to small claims court and sue them for the $1.98 in damages you have suffered. The small claims filing fee is $50

112 Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM
************************
Dear Anon – Please pull your foot out of your mouth/ass. You don’t know what you’re talking about, unless you’re feeling a bit guilty here (are you my neighbor?) It was a lot more than the amount you state above.

113 Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM

It’s not the City’s problem if your neighbor adds dirt to their yard, it’s a Civil Matter. Be Civilized and work it out on your own. ‘Nuff said.

114 FFffFarmer FFFffFred May 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I love ours. It helps keep the corn snakes away!

115 Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM

i’m with 108. as soon as i read “berk grads” post i knew it was a faker. REALLY smart people don’t need to use a thesaurus.

116 to #45, and all complainees May 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

YOU should live on a farm, or in the boondocks AWAY from the loud “City” sounds and smells. I will Play my music “outside” until the Legal limit of 10:00pm…I will Use my Gas Powered chain saw in the morning (before it gets too hot). I will Burn my “Backyard” fires ANYTIME I want to sit around, drink some brews, and Roast smores…….It’s My God Given right, to do what I want on my Property (within the limit of the laws)….
And to everyone B****ing about People not learning English or conforming to “our” (yes i’m a “white” American middle class man) society…Grow the F*** up, go back to history class…THIS IS NOT WHITE AMERICA….WE are a “Multi-cultured” country. You will find “china Towns” “Mexican Marts” “little Saigon” and some hood with every background known to man…. ENGLISH WAS NOT THE 1ST LANGUAGE SPOKE ON THIS SOIL…this is A “FREE” country…where People can speak whatever language they want…
I think it’s an outrage to infringe ones Language and culture upon another. Using the excuse “they moved here, so they should learn our ways/Language” Eff that. Grow up, and start Respecting the “culture” of others…..
A huge part of Native American Culture, was building “Fire-Pits” and sitting around them while the food cooks, smoking the Peace Pipe. It’s good for your soul, and uplifts your spirits. If you don’t like the Ways of “foreign” cultures….Go back to whatever European Country You’re derived from.
THIS IS FREE AMERICA….NOT WHITE AMERICA (and you can Quote the “white” Me who said that)

117 Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM

117 Receives the Most Ignorant Post Award!

Don’t forget that Whoopie Goldberg tried to make the claim that Pitbull fighting was a “Cultural Thing”. I guess you’ll have to start defending Cock fighting as a “Cultural thing” also.

118 2070 kiss it bye May 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Wait until the angry poor idiots breed themselves into power #117 then your grandchildren will be singing a different tune. When whites are the minority in this country you and I will be long dead , but our grandchildren will feel the undeserving backlash and they shall see a free America alright.

119 Fire Fan May 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I love it when I smell a wood fire burning in my neighborhood. Brings back childhood memories, my kids love it. Just don’t do it on a “spare the air” day, or under high fire danger.