BACKYARD FIRES, DO YOU LOVE THEM OR HATE THEM?

May 21, 2010 9:30 am · 119 comments

What’s your opinion on backyard fires? This CLAYCORDIAN, who recently wrote to us, tells about his experience with his neighbors and their fire pit.

I have a neighbor that burns wood in a backyard fire pit and the smoke from it completely overwhelms any house that is down wind. I see these stupid things called chimineras for sale at Home Depot and Lowes.

They are basically a ceramic urn that people burn wood it. Everybody has to close their windows or else their whole house smell like a camp fire.

It’s funny how the fire pit is placed so the smoke doesn’t go into their own home. I could find no ordinance or law that prohibits these unhealthy smelly fires.

Perhaps you could put this topic in the Claycord website for people to comment on. I bet hundreds of people that read Claycord have backyard fires and don’t even think about the poor folks living down wind.

What’s your opinion? Talk about it, NOW!….

{ 119 comments }

1 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I could see how some people could be annoyed, but I personally love them.

2 Get cultured said... May 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM

… it’s probably your neighbor cooking their weekly Carnitas in a big copper pot over an open fire.

If you’re lucky, they’ll let you taste some. Show some class, and stop being a nosy neighbor. Get over there and befriend them before they take you off their Carnitas list! You haven’t lived until you’ve had Carnitas from a pig that was still farting only the day before. Maybe next time they’ll let you burn the hair off the pig before they skin it. If you’re extra nice, they share their Chicharones with you. Bring a sixer of Bohemia with you to break the ice.

Google it if this is all above your intellect.

3 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Spare the air…

4 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Funny I really want one of these for our backyard. I never thought about how it may affect me neighbors. Good insight. Although I would still get one. My neighbors don’t give much thought to us and our comfort level (one side has chickens and the smell of poop flows over our fence and smells horrendous in the summer heat, the other side has rabbits running wild who come over and help themselves to our vegetable garden) So I wouldn’t really be bothered if i smoked their house out for a few hours a week, lol.

5 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Love em!!! close your windows grumpy!

6 Usagi May 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Here is the question. If those Spare the Air days are they even allowed to burn wood in their backyard? Cause they said no fireplace so that means no fire in the backyard either.

7 Ian May 21, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Love them! I have one, and I use it. Not the urn, but a metal one from Bill’s Ace Hardware. It has a screen and a cover. When I’m done, I can remove the screen and completely snuff the fire. And I love the smell of camp fire. This is why I wanted a nice back yard, so I could have a nice fire on cool nights. I’m sorry, but I will not discontinue my fires. Even if you get NAMBLA to try and fine me, like they do on spare the air days in winter.

8 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

We have one and love it. Just need to learn how to build a fire and burn decent wood. A good fire with good wood doesn’t provide alot of smoke.

9 CoughCough May 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I HATE backyard fires. My husband insists on burning in the fireplace by Winter and backyard fires in the Spring/Summer. I feel sorry for my neighbors. He burns big logs which smolder all night and the next day too. Sometimes he burns pre–treated wood? That can’t be healthy. Our son has asthma and yet hubby doesn’t care. I would vote for a ban on all fires.

10 Mi Reality May 21, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I love a fire pit! You have to be respectful of neighbors though, AND make a fire the right way so it doesn’t smoke so much!! But I love the smell of that carcinogenic smoke, mmmmm warms my heart!

11 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I’m not sure if this will help, but maybe you might want to suggest to your neighbors about using compressed sawdust logs instead of wood because they burn longer and don’t produce as much smoke as natural wood. Now if it’s the smell of the smoke in general, I’m not sure if these logs will helpful, but at least it’s a suggestion.

12 RC May 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I have a firepit, but I plumbed it for propane. Much easier to light, cleaner burning, less smell AND i can use it ANY TIME, even on those spare the air nights (if I want to freeze my butt off). Granted that propane costs money, but so does wood, unless you have some tree company dumping free wood cuttings on your driveway.

13 E Ticket May 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Language barrier? Than just go over there, smile and call them a bunch of retarded non-assimilating jerk-offs while nodding your head up and down. Right after you turn them over to the smoke-and-smog nazis at BAAQMD.

I’m pretty sure there’s an ordinace or reg prohibiting burning overly smokey stuff as opposed to charcoal or clean-burning fed-approved dried wood.

Sounds like you have some bona-fide turd polishers for neighbors.

14 Huskerfan May 21, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Pit fires can be a fun thing sometimes. For example taking the children out and making smores. I burn in my pit but not so often that it will drive the neighbors out of there house. If there is a language barrier I am sure you can find someone who can speak to them for you. I sure wouldn’t do it when they are partying. I would do it a few days later just asking politely if they can tone it down. There is no ordanance against pit fires. I talked to the City of Concord and to the local fire station before I started using mine. All they said is it has to be far enough away from buildings and trees/shubs so you won’t start a big fire. They also highly recommended a screen over the fire to keep the ashes from blowing all over. Hope it works out for you.

15 Revan May 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM

You saw a chiminera at Home Depot? I looked at Lowes and all they have are those big wide pits like the one in the pic. Thanks for the tip, I’ll go on my way home.

My buddy has a chiminera and I’ve never heard of the smoke being an issue. It’s fun to hang out by a fire in the backyard. Maybe you’re hypersensitive, or maybe your neighbors suck at building fires and throw a bunch of smoke-generating brush on the thing. Either way, its a bummer for you, but I don’t planning on signing a petition to outlaw backyard fires.

Sorry, but I like them.

16 To Close for Comfort May 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM

and how is this different from cigar smoking neighbors and dog barking neighbors? When you leave in an area where if you spit it will go in your neighbors living room you have to sacrifice some of your god given property rights.

17 stop complaining May 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I don’t understand people. It seems that they have to complain about everything. Their is no law or ordinance in place because people have a right to do as they wish in their own home. They are not causing harm to you or others. I feel that people pay good money to own or event rent a home and should not be judge or complained about by their neighbors because they cant control everything. Just because new people move in and don’t do things that you approve of does not give you the right. And please don’t make your self out to be a victim “We have tried to talk to them about the problem but there is a language barrier and I don’t feel comfortable approaching a large group of males that have been drinking all day.” mind you own business and close your windows, keep yourself inside and shelter yourself from everyone!!!

18 Phoenyx May 21, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I can see where a backyard fire improperly tended can be smoky and annoying, or downright dangerous. But I love them when they’re done right. Former next door neighbor used to do them all the time… never bothered me. FWIW I do have asthma and I still like them.

19 SMORES May 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I love fire pits and the kids love the SMORES nothing is better than beer good friends and SMORES.

20 Lee White May 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM

There are many folks who have allergies and respiratory problems. The smoke can be a threat to their health. We have advanced technologically to the point where we don’t need to burn wood to cook our food or stay warm. The sort of self-centered idiot who insists upon lighting a smoky fire in the middle of the city just to entertain himself and his dimwitted friends and offspring is a terrible neighbor indeed!

21 Male Bonding May 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Cooking the Carnitas over an open outdoor smoky fire is an Hispanic male bonding ritual.

It’s a lot like crabbing. Lots of beer is need to properly supervise this weekly Visionquest.

If the accordion beat is driving you crazy ask them to turn down the Bass.

22 Tom Huey May 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Sorry I was sending smoke signals to my ex-girlfriend.

23 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM

At least you are lucky and they burn it in their backyard. What is it with some families (yes more than 2) that share a house that seem to only entertain, and burn these fires in their front yard? Oh yeah, no room in the back with the “sheds” that have sprouted up.

24 Killjoy May 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I love my fire pit. In fact, I have two of them. One is portable and came with a bag.
So when we go camping, and some places don’t allow ground fires, this does the trick.

25 What???? May 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

are people really complaining about campfires? Move to the city and stop your moaning. You CAN have breathing problems and STILL enjoy a fire….
I love the smell of them. Of course I hate when every where I sit, the smoke follows me LOL. Enjoy life, stop sweating the small stuff. There are bigger issues than back yard fires…..by the way, is anyone puffing on a smoke while complaining about firepits?

26 anon May 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM

we have one like in the picture….kids luv it.

27 To CoughCough May 21, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Really? You hate it that much, your son has asthma, your husband burns pre-treated wood? I can’t stand woman who can’t stand up to their husbands.

28 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM

@ Get Cultured. you sound like a jerk.
getting smoked out by neighbors that don’t care about any one else is NOT being nosy.
google that

29 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Love it! This is America!

30 gasping for air May 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Do they also mow their lawn with a 1950′s era lawnmower? Some people only think about themselves and have no concern about the impact of their actions. I would be pissed if I had to lock myself indoors because my neighbor had a smokey fire going.

I’m calling bulls*** on #18. If he had asthma wood smoke would bother him. Also #16, there is a HUGE difference between the amount of smoke emitted from a wood fire vs. cigar.

31 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I bet this person would get along just fine with the people over at East Bay Daze who have a petition going to ban leaf blowers in Orinda.

32 enjoyer of life May 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

i think i’ll burn a fire in my backyard tonight in honor of this post. i’ll cook my dinner over it too. it is so much more satisfying to cook over an open fire, enjoy being outside and having neighbors who’d rather not live in a sterile box with only a computer, tv and prepackaged frozen meals.

33 rosey ♥ May 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I like them, they are fun. I don’t own one, but every summer we think about buying one. My sister has a fire pit built into her back yard, it doesn’t seem to put out all that much smoke- and i consider myself to be pretty sensitive to smoke and other irritants. I think that maybe this person is ultra-sensitive to the burning pit-o-fun. Within reason, people should be able to enjoy what they like on their own property (but the caviat to this is that it should not prevent another neighbor from also enjoying THEIR property…hmmm this is a toughy).

34 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM

You’re absolutely right, Letter Writer. We don’t think about you. :)

Gently remove your tampon and get over it. There are far more important things in this town to worry about than fire pits.

35 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Get Cultured(#2), did you read where he/she said they already tried to talk to them, but there is a language barrier? Apparently, these folks never considered “getting cultured” themselves and learning our national language of English. What’s with the cheap-shot about his/her intellect? Their e-mail seems well written; at least there’s no indication they are of below-average intellect. It’s funny that you immediately side with the group of drunks, smoking out the neighborhood, that don’t speak the national language of the country they live in when it comes to intellect.

As far as the fires, I like them too. If it bothered my neighbors I would stop. I think they must be burning damp wood, improper wood, or not building/tending the fire correctly to consistently cause this much smoke though. A good, hot fire shouldn’t have too much smoke.

36 Anon May 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM

You’re absolutely right, Letter Writer. We don’t think about you. :)

Gently remove your tampon and get over it. There are far more important things to worry about in this town than your neighbor’s fire pit.

37 OXYGEN May 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I know a great oxygen rep. So if you are that concerned then I will give you the company name. But if you are not then stop complaining….. I will lite my fire pit tonight too.. Sounds like a good plan. SMORES

38 BusBoy May 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I love my Firepit and Chimnea. I spark both of them up from time to time and thats just for ambiance I have hanging propane heaters on the pergola so everyone can stay toasty anytime they want to be outdoors.

With the white trash neighbor on one side… a pot smoking neighbor in the corner… a barking dog on the other corner my only neighbor I like is on one side and he just about misses all the smoke when there is some so I say too fricken bad theres smoke!! I say Come on over and have some pulled pork, ribs, tri-tip and Beers! The blenders always good to go and the alcohol free flowing! You still want to complain about smoke thats your issue if you dont come over to where the smokes not blowing! ;-) — Bottom line… love thy neighbor first.

39 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM

My parents have a backyard fire pit. And we were told by the cops that if your not cooking food on it you cant legally burn just burn wood all the time for the fun of it, and the fire department has been called before by the neighbors and they told us the same thing and they had to put out our fire, This is in clayton, maybe concord has differnet laws.. And about those that leave the coals burn out all nite is a very bad idea and can cause fires.

If it really becomes a problem call the cops/fire dept and they will let them know what to do.

40 Ricky Fisher May 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Hey Busboy,

What’s your address? I’ll come over for some grub and brew.

41 anon May 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM

WHAAA!

42 MissMelyssa May 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I like them, but don’t have one.
My neighbor has one and uses it in the driveway.
Several neighbors like to hang out in their garage and it extends to the their driveways because our backyards are so small.
Never had a problem regarding the smell or smoke.
And no, I don’t live in the ghetto. I actually live in a pretty nice neighborhood.

I love campfires and making smores, etc which is why I want to get one.
Yes we have evolved so we don’t need to have campfires at home, but I think they’re fun. It’s all personal preference.
But some commenters have really good advice on here regarding the different types of wood to use, etc so thanks to those who have contributed suggestions.

43 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Hi Mr. Mayor,

Maybe you can confirm if Concord has the same law as Clayton re: the following:

“Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM

44 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Used to be one’s right to do what they wanted stopped when it infringed on another’s rights. Why should we have to shut our windows so you can burn a fire, let your children and dogs yell and bark for hours and sit outside until 2am trying to talk over yourselves and the music blaring from your outside speakers? Oh – and the outdoor home theater system? You need to live on a farm if you want to do all that crap – not in a neighborhood where we can hear each other fart!

45 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

What’s that? It sounds like WHINE WHINE WHINE to me.

46 anon May 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM

why do people think that you should call the cops for such small stupid reasons as this #40 don’t waste their time. they need to be on the streets ready to deal with real problems. I’m so tired of people complaining about something as stupid as this or a dog that wont stop barking, i hate it even more when people suggest to call the police, they have departments like animal control and fire! Be smart call the city office first and they will tell you what department to call before you take it upon yourself to waste the police officers time. they are here to sever and protect not pamper.

47 The True Cost said... May 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

…the true cost of a Concord Police Office is $141 per hour. Is your call worth $141 an hour? Would you pay $141 per hour to the City of Concord to have a CPD Officer ask your neighbor to burn a cleaner backyard fire?

48 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

49 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 12:58 PM

We have a neigbor on one side that burns almost daily and on the other side they BBQ. If any of our windows are open the smoke just fills the house. One day it was so bad it set off our smoke alarm. They just don’t give a &%$#.

50 Fire fan May 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I like outdoor fires. Wish I had a firepit for my backyard. However if my neighbors came over and complained I would try to manuver/change the loc. of the pit to help with smoke but it is my yard and I can do what I want back there so… think about someone comeing over and telling you to cut down your flowers because they attract bees…. same idea. You should be respectful of your neighbor as they should you.

51 moneypenny May 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I remember as a child having bonfires in my grandad’s big back garden. It was lovely to see the roaring fire and feel the warmth of it’s glow. However, my clothes and hair would stink of ash and breathing in the fumes made me realize I could never smoke when I got older . Beautiful but filthy……….

52 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I only burn my fire pit (with green wood mind you) on the Spare the Air Days. I consider this payback to the jack booted thugs in the BAAQMD who tried to ruin my turkey day and X-mas.

53 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

9:48AM ” Even if you get NAMBLA to try and fine me, like they do on spare the air days in winter.”

NAMBLA??? That’s the North American Man/Boy Love Association. If NAMBLA is after you, I think there’s more going on in your yard than a fire.

54 jtkatec May 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

“Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM
first cigarette smoke from neighbors bother, then it’s the BBQ, now it’s the fire pit. What is next? Gas?”

What kind of gas? I’m thinking noxious stinky gas, which cows and humans create an abundance of…. and yes I would be complaining (or hurling)

55 Ian May 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Lee White,
We have advanced technologically to the point where we don’t need to worry about our neighbors with respiratory problems. Look into windows, air filters, air purifiers, HEPA Filters, or, if your respiratory problems are that bad, consider moving to an area away from all of the freeways, cities, industry, medium to high density housing, etc.

56 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Since there are restrictions on how high your backyard fence can be, then there should be restrictions on disturbing neighbors with smoke and noise. Otherwise, I’m building a 12 foot fence. And installing loudspeakers in my yard so I can blow my neighbors away when they come out to burn their fires and party.

57 Ian May 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

#45
“Why should we have to shut our windows so you can burn a fire”

You don’t have to. My fire will burn regardless of your windows’ position. Go ahead and do with them what you will. I don’t mind.

58 boohhooo May 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

If you have something to whine about…send it to claycord!

59 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

A 12′ fence is a safety hazard (wind load).

6′ fence is the maximum you can build WITHOUT a building-permit or engineering.

You can build a 12′ fence if you go through proper channels and it’s approved.

60 Leigh May 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Nice comback Ian! I’m very impressed.

61 Ian May 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

#50
I couldn’t fill my neighbor’s house with smoke if I tried. I guess it doesn’t apply to everyone in Concord, so, I see no need for policy on this one.

62 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 2:13 PM

#45 Its sounds like you are my neighbor. Do you live in Martinez, and if you are my neighbor then you move to a farm I own my house….

63 #45 May 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

It sounds like you are my neighbor. Do you live in Martinez? And if you do and you are my neighbor then you need to move to a farm, because I own my house.

64 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I love our fire pit. I think we’ll have a fire tonight!

65 Dorkof82 May 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM

My brother has one, but it’s a propane one so it doesn’t have all the smoke, it’s pretty cool, I like sitting out back on a chilly night with it..

I guess it just depends where you live, where we live the houses are older so the yards are bigger and if one or ALL of my neighbors had one going at once i probably wouldn’t even notice it, HOWEVER if I lived over in those newer houses they built off landana/willow pass (where the elks lodge was) I could totally see how that could be a problem, the houses are so friggin close together I can picture neighbors passing a roll of toilet paper through the windows, so a fire pit over there would suck cause any open windows the smoke would fly on in.. I guess you need to either 1. Find a way to communicate with your neighbor, and be nice about it, afterall, they ARE your neighbor and you have to live with em, explain about the smoke and maybe they could move the fire pit to a different part of their yard? (if space allows, of course) or perhaps you could come up with a different agreement, maybe they could warn you before they light it so you can close the windows on that side of the house before it’s too late.. All I know is calling the cops or being an asshole or not bothering to talk to them isn’t going to solve your problem- communication is the key!

66 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM

if you are sitting at a stoplight and the car next to you has smoke wafting into your window and you don’t like it…what do you do?

that’s what i thought….next question

67 Say What? May 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM

gasping for air you must have missed the discussion in regards to a neighbor who sat in their backyard with a cigar and the smoke went into the neighbors backyard. There were probably 100 comments on it. Must have been important to some people.

68 Ian May 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM

#54
I’m sorry, I get NAMBLA and Bay Area Air Quality Management District confused all the time. They just kind of go in the same category of respect for me.

69 Revan May 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Score! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/fuo/1752750696.html

25 bucks! Gonna bring ‘er back to Claycord tonight.

70 backyard fife guy May 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM

a new guy moved into the nieghborhood…called on the guy with the big truck parked across infront of the empty lot….called on the guy with the pool and two young kids playing (too loud) called the cops on me …big bad fire…maybe just mabe he could not infing on us maybe he should move back to where ever he came from. if everybody else is here so bad

71 backyard fire guy May 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM

sorry, that was suppoused to be ‘fire guy’ ( not fife guy )

72 Dorkof82 May 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM

LMAO Revan!

73 Anon E. Mouse May 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM

That is f*cked up! Had the same thing happen to me except for the racist part.
The previous neighbor tenants, samoans, would cook pigs in a pit. And the current white trash, burns bonfires.
The house fills with smoke smell WITH the windows closed, call the cops and they said they couldn’t do anything. Complained to the Fire dept, they came out and said they couldn’t do anything about it either.
WTF the house reeks, my eyes burn if i go out on the patio, ash all over my car (parked INSIDE a garage but on their side of the property.
I would have talked to them but the samoans scared me and I don’t speak white trash.
You would think they would have got the hint when the fire dept showed up.
Next time I will take matters into my own hands and soak it with a hose or pressure washer.

74 Ian May 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Revan…
This is the one I have, and a great deal on it. The screen is great if you have sappy wood, and then you take the screen off and cover it when you’re done. Kills the fire instantly with out the smoke. It essentially makes the residual into charcoal. Ready to burn for the next fire.

75 Paco May 21, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Just be happy they don’t have the speakers out in the front yard cranking up the oompa loompa polka music. I had some former neighbors that did that and left empty Bud cans up and down the street. They would piss on your bushes too. Glad to see we’re so well respected.

76 Where there's smoke there's fire...... May 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I am amazed at the selfish, arrogant, inconsiderate people that troll this site. It’s one thing if you have an acre of property to burn your monstrous backyard fires, but with houses these days being so close, it’s rude to not take into consideration your neighbors. Also the attitude of, “well my neighbor is a putz so I’ll do it any way” attitude just fuels the fire, so to speak. Common courtesies are long gone……….

77 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Burn a fire outside tonight and if the wind keeps up, we’ll be reading about you for a different reason tomorrow.

78 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Call the fire dept. they are legal but if it bothers a neighbor they have to put the fire out.

79 bh May 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM

80 anon May 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM
81 Shadowgirl May 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Having just returned from camping this week, I have to say I love the smell of a campfire. I think a backyard fire pit is fine, although we do have to have some respect for our neighbors if they are in close proximity. We once had neighbors that slaughtered goats in their backyard. I was mortified when I looked out the window and saw this (our house sat above theirs on a hill). They had a big bbq a few days later and I was so grossed out knowing it was the goats they tried to tell me were their pets. Needless to say I was happy we were able to move away from them.

82 AshlieAnn May 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Kids are starving over in Africa, we still have no cure for cancer, animals get abused everyday and your going to complain about a firepit?…. I understand it could be bothersome but i think you need to suck it up and ask yourself… “Is my problem really that important?” I’m so sick of people complaining about things that have little to no value. When my grandma dealt with and then eventually passed away from cancer she never once whined or complained. So you know what if you can’t deal with the problem, get over it!

83 BACK YARD GUY May 21, 2010 at 4:59 PM

84 Birdshaman May 21, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I love um We should have entire city wide outdoor fire pit night and street party all the hoods across town live music food time to have some fun and let you hair down, Summer is almost here!

85 Ian May 21, 2010 at 5:01 PM

No number 81, I was referring to the North American Marlon Brando Look Alikes.

86 Ian May 21, 2010 at 5:02 PM

#77
I agree. We need to stop with all this high density housing crap! This is the result.

87 Ian May 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I like these numbers on the left, so much easier than referencing the time of comment.

88 Ian May 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Right… right.

89 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 5:29 PM

You Hillbillies need to move out to the country. Your houses are two feet apart from each other but you act like you have 5 acres. Yuppie.

Go buy one of those industrial fans and blow the smoke back their way. This is no different than the Harley guy that needs to rev His bike at 4am, the La Bamba music blaring or some idiot barking dog.

But most people are so SELF CENTERED, that’s right SELF is at the CENTER of everything! These are the same people that laws are created for.

90 Internet Warrior go sit down May 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Anon E. Mouse
Don’t lie , you are not going to do anything about your neighbors fires . I can see you standing behind your almost closed window shades and mean mugging your three hundred pound samonin neighbors and saying “WHY I OUTTA ” while pointing your fingers at them until they look over ,then you quickly close the shades and go back and sit in your smoke filled t.v room and watch the end of your jerry springer episode.

91 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM

91, Nobody cares if they’re 300lbs or 7 foot tall, there’s plenty of Big tough guys in Prison.

92 concord girl May 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Lovin’ it….Lucky you Revan…I’m going to craigslist or Ebay and find myself one too…Ian you have been great!!! I agree…Maybe I’ll get a fire pit and put a little spice into the neighborhood!!!!

93 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM

quit your whining

94 Caveman May 21, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Man plus wood equals productivity- build, cook and create warmth. All primal urges and needs. Get a human life!
Go to the other end of your house and breathe there. Liberalism is a mental disorder…

95 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I think things like this are great…except when the breezes send the fumes into my home. We have a right to *somewhat* clean air. There are also health considerations. Many people have allergies or other health afflictions that make breathing tainted air dangerous. My neighbor burns tiki torches, which are lovely, but the fumes get into my home even when my windows are closed, making the air difficult to breathe.

It’s one thing when you can walk away from the smoke and fumes (it’s called choice); it’s very different when they only way you can get away from it is to drive away from your home (it’s called imposition).

Please, we don’t all live in the country on several acres. The lots on which most of our homes sit are very small, and imposing such pollutants on our neighbors whose homes and windows are merely a few feet away is simply and utterly inconsiderate.

96 GJ May 21, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Don’t have one, but would love one. Then again, when my neighbor smokes outside, all the smoke wafts toward our house. I just close the window.

If you have a problem with your neighbor’s fire pit and the smoke it emits, just wait for a spare the air day and turn him in. The better option would be to go over there and ask if you can join the party. “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”!!

97 R&R May 21, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Just like the frosted flakes guy says.

98 Anon May 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Close your windows if it bothers you.

99 Berkeley Grad May 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM

We live in the “Bay Area” where everyone is “aware” of the ramifications caused by incinerating environmentally hazardous conglomerations. If you’re still burning this “low” class garbage then you have no intelligence, and you have no right to live in the (environmentally friendly) bay area. People like YOU deserve to be ostracized by neighbors and labeled as “ignorant” pollutant burning “REDNECKS.”

100 WTF May 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I have a neighbor that burns in his back yard fire pit most every night. I love it smells great, he burns a wide variety of woods. I have another neighbor that complains all the time about the fire pit claiming “It irritates his wife’s asthma, The wife smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day and insist that cigarettes have nothing to do with her asthma it is all the fault of the neighbor that burns a fire in his backyard pit.
In CA we definitely have a mix fruits and nuts.

101 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Hey Annon #4 do you live on or near Concord Blvd?

102 Alan May 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM

These are purely self-indulgent and selfish because they are woefully inefficient and more for the “scene” than any useful purpose. And yes, I hate them even more because they are a horror for nearby neighbors. Again, getting back to selfish.

These should absolutely be outlawed for both environmental reasons,and when applicable (which is often the case) they often gravely impact nearby neighbors.

103 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I wanted a fire pit but opted for a stand up propane heater.

104 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM

They asked me how I knew my true love was true,
I of course replied, something here inside cannot be denied.
They said someday you’ll find all who love are blind,
When your heart’s on fire, you must realize,
Smoke gets in your eyes.
So I chaffed and then I gaily laughed,
To think that they could doubt my love,
Yet today, my love has flown away,
I am without my love.
Now laughing friends deride tears I cannot hide,
So I smile and say when a lovely flame dies,
Smoke gets in your eyes.

Thanks Platters

105 Confucius Says ... May 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

… Anybody who has smoke blow on them should be flattered because smoke always follows the-pretty-one.

106 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Berkeley grad….what the F are you talking about? Berkeley High grad maybe. I can tell you’re a chump. “Then you have no intelligence” Thats a good one.

107 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM

When people say they went to Berkley most mean they drove through it. “Incinerating environmentally hazardous conglomerations” four 9+ letter plus words in a row is the give away. Reaching. Now reach down and pull the pickle out of your butt.
I forge knives on a coal fire in my yard, so FU.

108 Chopper May 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Love them. For everyone else who doesn’t. Stop being haters! Ya dumb asses

109 Anonymous May 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM

60 Anonymous May 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM
A 12′ fence is a safety hazard (wind load).

6′ fence is the maximum you can build WITHOUT a building-permit or engineering.

You can build a 12′ fence if you go through proper channels and it’s approved.
******************************
Yeah Right – You can build as high a fence as you want anymore – City of Concord doesn’t have the manpower or the time to give a shit about the height of a fence, or a neighbor adding yards of soil to their backyard so yours floods in the winter rainy season.

We have TWO firepits, and build nice hot great fires. If you don’t like the smell, tough, I don’t like listening to your rooster, your kids, your loud music as you drive down my street, your harley or your dogs.

110 thighs of glory May 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Hey, Berkeley Grad. Does it sting — just a little — to be separated from the other Bay Aryans on the fashionable side of the Tunnel?

111 Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM

If your neighbor added two cubic yards to their backyard and yours is now flooding then it’s a civil matter. Take them to small claims court and sue them for the $1.98 in damages you have suffered. The small claims filing fee is $50

112 Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM
************************
Dear Anon – Please pull your foot out of your mouth/ass. You don’t know what you’re talking about, unless you’re feeling a bit guilty here (are you my neighbor?) It was a lot more than the amount you state above.

113 Anonymous May 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM

It’s not the City’s problem if your neighbor adds dirt to their yard, it’s a Civil Matter. Be Civilized and work it out on your own. ‘Nuff said.

114 FFffFarmer FFFffFred May 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I love ours. It helps keep the corn snakes away!

115 Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM

i’m with 108. as soon as i read “berk grads” post i knew it was a faker. REALLY smart people don’t need to use a thesaurus.

116 to #45, and all complainees May 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

YOU should live on a farm, or in the boondocks AWAY from the loud “City” sounds and smells. I will Play my music “outside” until the Legal limit of 10:00pm…I will Use my Gas Powered chain saw in the morning (before it gets too hot). I will Burn my “Backyard” fires ANYTIME I want to sit around, drink some brews, and Roast smores…….It’s My God Given right, to do what I want on my Property (within the limit of the laws)….
And to everyone B****ing about People not learning English or conforming to “our” (yes i’m a “white” American middle class man) society…Grow the F*** up, go back to history class…THIS IS NOT WHITE AMERICA….WE are a “Multi-cultured” country. You will find “china Towns” “Mexican Marts” “little Saigon” and some hood with every background known to man…. ENGLISH WAS NOT THE 1ST LANGUAGE SPOKE ON THIS SOIL…this is A “FREE” country…where People can speak whatever language they want…
I think it’s an outrage to infringe ones Language and culture upon another. Using the excuse “they moved here, so they should learn our ways/Language” Eff that. Grow up, and start Respecting the “culture” of others…..
A huge part of Native American Culture, was building “Fire-Pits” and sitting around them while the food cooks, smoking the Peace Pipe. It’s good for your soul, and uplifts your spirits. If you don’t like the Ways of “foreign” cultures….Go back to whatever European Country You’re derived from.
THIS IS FREE AMERICA….NOT WHITE AMERICA (and you can Quote the “white” Me who said that)

117 Anonymous May 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM

117 Receives the Most Ignorant Post Award!

Don’t forget that Whoopie Goldberg tried to make the claim that Pitbull fighting was a “Cultural Thing”. I guess you’ll have to start defending Cock fighting as a “Cultural thing” also.

118 2070 kiss it bye May 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Wait until the angry poor idiots breed themselves into power #117 then your grandchildren will be singing a different tune. When whites are the minority in this country you and I will be long dead , but our grandchildren will feel the undeserving backlash and they shall see a free America alright.

119 Fire Fan May 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I love it when I smell a wood fire burning in my neighborhood. Brings back childhood memories, my kids love it. Just don’t do it on a “spare the air” day, or under high fire danger.